Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lose by 9 not 2 the Bob Stoops philosophy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...bcs/index.html

Rather than trying to win, Stoops wanted to lose by a small score in order to be the most impressive 1 loss team. Wait, what?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

Rather than trying to win, Stoops wanted to lose by a small score in order to be the most impressive 1 loss team. Wait, what?
    Norman is NOT impressed with Stoops' strategizing these days.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

This sums it pretty well...

It matters, unless you're trying to impress a diffuse group of voters who may not be paying enough attention to understand that the margin of victory sometimes changes because one team refused to give up. That's fitting. When the BCS overlords leave their hollowed-out volcano to convince us why a playoff won't work, one of their principal arguments is that all but one team in a playoff ends the season with a loss -- and that might make people feel bad about themselves.

If that's the case, why hand out a crystal football at all? Why not make 120 participation trophies and hand one to each FBS coach at the end of the season?

In life, there are wins and losses. You get the job, or the other guy gets the job. You win the account, or the other company wins the account. She says yes to the ring, or she says no to the ring.

Since sports are supposed to teach young people about life, we tell the kids in Little League and Pop Warner that no matter how dire the circumstances, they should always try their best.

Not in BCS-land. In BCS-land, it's not about potentially futile, last-ditch efforts that might inspire someone to persevere later in life. It's about managing losses so some sports information director or retired athletic director who fell asleep before the final whistle doesn't think you got your teeth kicked in.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        Norman is NOT impressed with Stoops' strategizing these days.
        Maybe Stoops would like to relocate to Arlington. I have a feeling that the cowboys are going to need a new coach in the near future.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
          Maybe Stoops would like to relocate to Arlington. I have a feeling that the cowboys are going to need a new coach in the near future.
          It worked for Switzer...

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
            It worked for Switzer...
            Plus Pete seems to be figuring out the salary cap pretty quick so I'm sure Bob could too.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Working...
            X