Playmakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playmakers

Not the short-lived ESPN series, I'm talking about BYU's lack-thereof. JJ DiLuigi has been the one guy that you could say has done a decent job of extending a play so to speak, but outside of that, nobody really has. While Heaps has been far from perfect, he really isn't getting any help, and the lack of support he's getting from the skill positions IMO is putting more of the onus to be mistake free on a true freshman QB, and is impacting his performance further. Again, let me reiterate, I don't think that Heaps has been perfect and he needs to shoulder some of the blame for the poor offensive performance. But looking outside of Heaps, I wanted to look at BYU's recruiting classes since 2006 (since that is as far back as ESPN goes, but also since guys from the 2006 class should also be the guys that are playing right now) to identify who were supposed to be the playmakers, and why they aren't living up to expectations. Is it a philosophical recruiting flaw or are guys just not performing. So, here are the guys who I remember being hyped as being play makers from their respective classes and a look at where they are at now.

I'm using ESPNs Scout.com ratings. For reference, here are their breakdowns:

Five-star player: 85 to 100
    A potential immediate game-changer at the major college level who could push for all-conference recognition as a true freshman. Will enter college with elite skills needed to create mismatches against top-level competition. A future All-American candidate.

Four-star player: 79.5 to 84.99
    A potential 3- to 4-year starter at the major college level with the superior skills needed to see early playing time and make a significant impact during his college career.

Three-star player: 75.0 to 79.49
    A player with the skills to develop into a solid starter at the major college level. Potential high-ceiling prospect with the ability to make an impact during his career.

Two-star player: 68 to 74.99
    A player who flashes developable major college talent and could be a late bloomer. Potential solid starter at the mid-major level.

One-star player: 55 to 67.9
    Player does not show the physical tools or skill set at this point to project at the major college level, but could contribute at mid-major or FCS programs.
    2006:
    McKay Jacobsen (71)
    Jacobson is one of those tough, feisty receivers that simply gets the job done and is also a playmaker in the return game. He excels at finding the soft spots in zones and knows how to get open. He is extremely effective in the short to intermediate passing game. He is a very crisp route runner and can change directions with little to no wasted movement. He is low to the ground and can stop and start very quickly. He can make people miss in the open field. He is good at the line of scrimmage versus the jam and it is hard for defensive backs to get their hands on him. His best asset is his hands.
    McKay has showed flashes throughout his career, but this season he has been a bit of a disappointment. Is it because he is good enough to deal with single coverage when defenses are keying on additional pieces (Pitta, George, Unga, etc.) and this year he was expected to be one of the more featured parts of the offense (at least in my mind). He hasn't made the impact in the return game that I thought he would either since he was a freshman. He seems to be a bit timid when nearing contact. IMO, having McKay not step up and play to the potential that he has shown has been a big detriment to the team this year.

Mike Muehlman (70)
    Muehlman is a prospect with a great frame. He has the size to play at the college level and looks bigger on film then his listed weight. He shows some stiffness in the hips and that will most likely land him at the tight end position instead of on defense in college. He has decent hands and shows that he can catch the ball away from his body. His height and size can give him some match up advantages. He displays the ability to catch the ball above his head. He has adequate speed but is not a threat to stretch the field.
    The fact that Muehlman is listed shows the lack of play makers from this class, IMO. Granted, this is really Bronco's first class and comes off the heels of one of the worst eras in BYU history. Muehlman has shown signs of being the more "physical" tight end, but hasn't separated himself in the passing game, and, has had a few drops that appeared to be plays that your TE should make.

Mike Hague (71)
    Hague is a very good two way threat at the high school level. He is a bruising running back that is built like an undersized fullback and he is a safety with a linebacker mentality. He has excellent size and bulk, but he may not have the speed or hips to be a free safety, but instead is a nice fit as a strong safety. Hague has good awareness and football instincts. Is always around the ball and flashes the ability to uncoil and be a punishing hitter and tackler. Has a nose for the ball, takes good pursuit angles and is capable of playing near or within the box as an extra nickel linebacker type. He is at his best versus the run.
    Interesting that Hague is a guy that Scout felt would be a better prospect on the defensive side of the ball. I think Hague did want to play RB, and he's been an adequate FB type, a guy that can block, can carry the ball and can catch out of the backfield. I think he will continue to have his role increase over the next two years, though not really be an "impact" player.

The most notable players from this class are guys who were transfers (Max Hall) or defensive players (Ogletree, Brandon Bradley, Tonga and Fuga). Good solid players, but lacking in offensive playmakers.

2007:
    Devin Mahina (78)
    Mahina is a versatile prospect that could project as either a tight end or defensive end in college. He has a tall rangy frame and should be able to pack on needed bulk as he gets into a college weight program. As a tight end he presents a nice tall target in the passing game. He displays the ability to catch the ball away from his body. He runs solid routes but is mainly a short to intermediate type outlet receiver. He will not make many defenders miss with the ball in his hands but will lower his shoulder and get what he can. His main contribution is as a blocker. He is still raw but has a nice upside.
    One of the glut of TEs that I think are all pretty even, which may amplify the problem. Nobody in my eyes has set themselves apart as "the guy" (although it sounds like Richard Wilson did a good job of starting to do that this week in practice) and I think it hurts not having anybody be that guy. From lack of consistency in practice and continuity in playing, somebody has to step up. Mahina seems like a nice prospect, and I can remember a few nice catches (and not very many drops, from memory). I think Mahina can be a good player, though his inexperience and youth (as with most of the other TEs) is what is really keeping from excelling.

Marcus Matthews (75)
    This guy is a good receiver with the upside to be excellent. If he were a step faster or more explosive, he would be a nationwide recruit. However, Mathews plays faster than you might think and has a supreme blend of size, strength and outstanding hands. He has sneaky speed in the vertical passing game and gets open because he knows how to set up defensive backs and use his size to his advantage. He is a sharp route runner, attacks alignment, eats up cushion before he breaks and shows adequate burst out of the break. He is a real presence in the slot as an intermediate target over the middle on option routes, crossing routes and down the seam. He is tough, will go up in traffic and extend for the high ball. He shows good body control downfield. However, Mathews lacks ideal top-end speed and may not find it as easy to get open at the college level. He lacks great quickness after the catch and is straight-lined. The bottom line is that Mathews is reliable, big and tough. He is productive and will make other receivers around him better trying to keep up with him.
    I think this guy has as much upside as anybody, and he is leading the team averaging 18 yards per catch. Unfortunately, he's been inconsistent, and, as I think as Junkie pointed out, has been prone to mistakes (the fumble v. SDSU after a nice catch, the tri-fecta on the series against Wyoming today with the fumble, not being in on the FG and then missing the block on the FG that had it get tipped). I think this guy can fill a Pitta type role, though I think his future should be as a WR (as a bigger target, more of a possession type guy) than as a TE.

JJ DiLuigi (70)
    DiLuigi is a pick-and-slide back who is a bit straight-lined, but he shows outstanding receiving skills for a running back and is the type of player who can play many roles within a scheme because he can motion out of the backfield and be a true threat in the passing game. He is a tough runner who is at his best between the tackles. He hits the hole hard and is constantly keeping his legs pumping. Runs with great forward lean and is tough for his size. He has good vision and very good patience. Does a nice job letting things develop and keying his blocks. He is fast enough to stab and bounce plays to the outside and shows good-to-adequate speed. Builds speed and momentum once in the open field and is capable of winning some footraces against defensive backs. He has exceptional hands and is more than just an outlet receiver. He is a solid route runner, even in the intermediate passing game -- seams, corner routes, crossing routes, etc. The problem with DiLuigi is that he is undersized, lacks ideal power and isn't as explosive as you want a smaller back to be. As mentioned speed is adequate but quickness and suddenness is average. He is straight-lined. Overall, DiLuigi is versatile and a solid overall running back. He is a good change-of-pace for any offense.
    JJ has been the guy that has made more plays in the offense, and, IMO, more has been expected of him than should be. I think he is more of a change of pace type, somebody who would be excellent in the slot, and not as a feature back. I don't think you can complain about JJ.

In all, I think there is some potential there to still have impact players from this class with both Matthews and Mahina, and JJ already has been the play maker this year.

Other impact players from this class include Jordan Pendelton (who was a WR/S prospect originally) and Braden Brown (who was a TE originally). Some other guys who either were busts or didn't make it at BYU from this class include G Pittman, Ryan Kessman, Scotty Ebert, and Brannon Brooks.

(future classes coming shortly)

Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo are going to be all conference players by the end of their careers.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
      Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo are going to be all conference players by the end of their careers.

Cool...which conference?

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
        Cool...which conference?
        LOL. Good catch UteStar.
        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
          Cool...which conference?
          Damn. The reality of independence sets in.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I think Rich has been solid. So'oto as well, Esp today.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Vic did have a good game today. I have thought that Rich is one of the best defensive players in the conference all year.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Austin Holt (78)
                Holt is a well-rounded tight end prospect in the sense that he can contribute to an offense as both a blocker and receiver. He possesses good size, but will need to add bulk to his frame. He looks a little smaller on film than his listed measureables but should be able to add size in time. Regardless of whether he is big enough, he is a tough blocker. He makes good initial contact and gets good hand placement. Once locked on, he can be tough to disengage. He drives his feet and displays the ability to get some push off the line of scrimmage in the run game. When attacking a defender in front of him, he tends to hop out of his stance and will need to adjust his initial steps. He takes a quick first step when working to reach a defender and does a good job getting into position and sustaining the block. As a receiver, he will help you move the chains but lacks big-play explosiveness.
                Holt in my eyes is probably the most talented (or at least most hyped) of all the tight ends. He seems like the best mix of blocker and receiver, although his production this year hasn't shown it. It seems like he should have been a redshirt candidate for this year given the depth at the TE position if he wasn't going to be one of the key guys this year, but maybe I'm missing his contributions blocking. I still think he has upside, but again, I'd hoped we see more production from ONE of the TEs.

Oneill Chambers (77)
                Chambers is a gamer, that simple. This kid will try and make a play on each snap. Whether playing offense or defense, he brings energy to the field. He is very smooth athletically but can be tough when needed. Will glide down the sideline after the catch or lower his shoulder in traffic. Possesses a tall, muscled frame. Utilizes it to get good position on defenders when snagging the ball in traffic. Flashes great hands and concentration. Extends away from his body for most grabs and excels at the over-the-shoulder catch. He is really well rounded in terms of running patterns. Shows an explosive release off the line. Generates enough initial quicks to run by defenders on deep routes. Possesses good short-area acceleration to separate from linebackers on intermediate patterns. Utilizes his vision and burst, taking short passes for big gains. After the catch he is very dangerous. He can break tackles, shake laterally and shows enough speed to take it up the sideline. However, he still needs to polish up in all facets. At times, he is very raw in technique. He actually needs to play a bit more under control. Tries to make the big play on each catch and sometimes loses yards as a result. Routes are sometimes rounded. He relies on his athletic ability to separate from defenders, that will change at the next level. We still question his top-end speed and whether he will be able to run away from the pack in college. Chambers could be an impact safety as well; his athletic ability and range might best suited there. Still lacks technique in that position as well. Fails to backpedal consistently and make accurate reads. Could be an athletic sleeper in the 2008 class. Great prospect.
                Oneill never really lived up to his hype. This year in 5 games, he caught 5 balls for 48 yards. He probably had 5 drops too. His career totals will be (unless something crazy happens) 40 catches for 466 yards and only 2 TDs. Disappointing production from a guy that seems to be very talented, but a bit of a headcase.

Jake Murphy (71)
                Murphy may not be flashy with the ball in his hands but he is a very productive receiver who will snag most balls thrown in his area. He possesses good height and overall size at the position and utilizes it well catching the ball in the midst of defenders. He takes the ball is mine attitude when going up for the jump ball and most often comes down with it. Blends great hands, concentration and body control in traffic. Consistently extends away from his frame to make the difficult grab and excels at the over-the-head catch. Displays precise route running skills and is conscious of proper steps and spacing; demonstrates good sideline awareness. Plucks the ball well in stride and is fearless going over the middle. Shows adequate speed after the catch and possesses the movement skills to make the first defender miss. He can be a physical stalk-blocker and will look to deliver a blow on crack blocks. While he can effectively move the chains in high school with savvy play and athleticism, we have some concerns at the next level with the increased speed of the defenses. He is a smooth route runner, but we have yet to see great separation speed. Shows determination after the catch but is missing the elusiveness and extra gear needed to be a true threat. He currently lacks the explosiveness to turn a short catch into a big gain. We project Murphy more as a possession receiver at the next level and feel he will make some big grabs over the course of his career.
                Another "possession" type receiver who never played a down at BYU and is now at Utah.

Other guys who were in the class who could have been but haven't contributed yet due to various reasons include Atem Bol (academics?) Jerry Bruner (transfer to Washington State) and Seta Pohahau (academics and mission?). In all, a disappointing class given that two of the top three projected play makers, and three of the "sleepers" appear to have either transferred, been disciplined, or didn't make it academically.

Richard Wilson (79)
                Wilson is a productive receiving tight end. He has adequate size for the position and should be able to add more good bulk as he enters a college weight program. He will play as a receiver, split-out from the formation, but also has experience working from an in-line position. He runs good routes and work to set up defenders. He has good hands and can catch the ball away from his frame. Displays good concentration to catch the ball in the crowd. He is a tough kid who is willing to go over the middle and take a hit to make the grab. Displays good body control to adjust to the ball in the air and also can catch the bad ball. Displays good straight line speed and can challenge a defense some vertically. He is not a very elusive runner with the ball in his hands, but he runs hard. He will drive his legs and run through arm tackles. Wilson looks to be mainly used as a receiver and will need to develop as a blocker. He does have the ability to help an offense from a receiving standpoint. Even if he does not have great value as an in-line player he is a good receiving tight end.
                Wilson is a guy who has shown more value so far as a blocker than as a receiver, though he also appears to be the TE that has done the best job of separating himself from the TE pack (albeit through practice) than the other guys. He is averaging 15 yards per catch (only on 3 catches) so I think there is some potential there. I think the TE position eventually comes down to Mahina, Holt and Wilson, which could be a pretty good 3-headed monster at the TE position.

Mitch Matthews (75)
                If the ball is anywhere near this kid, he is going to catch it and he has the frame and long arms to pull it off, especially if it's on a jump ball. Mathews is a pure possession guy with great size, deceptive speed and quickness and he knows how to get open. He isn't flashy and there are faster and more gifted wide receivers, but if you want dependability and a crafty guy who knows how to get open, Mathews is your man. He is a pretty smooth athlete and does a nice job setting up defenders with his stem. His size is his greatest asset and he knows how to use his body to shield the defender from the ball and he has to because he likely does not possess the quickness to separate consistently versus elite competition. He has excellent hands and a wide catch radius. Plucks and extends over his head with ease and can out jump most defenders. He is going to have a size advantage on just about every corner so QB's will want to just throw the ball up and give him a chance. The problems Mathews will face are his lack of top end speed doesn't give him much of a big play presence. He would as a result be best utilized in the slot working against zone coverage. Overall, Mathews is very productive and all rosters should have a guy like him. tough, determined and willing to work the middle of the field.
                Brother of Marcus, I think Mitch also has some upside as a big receiver. Seems like he will be more of the possession type (which BYU could definitely use this year). Currently serving an LDS mission.

Adam Timo (74)
                Timo played mainly tailback in the game films we viewed, and while effective, he might project better as a safety or plain athlete for the college level. He is tall, very lean, rangy and high-cut. Runs high as a in-line back but could develop into an effective plant-and-go slashing type running if he can add some major bulk to his frame in a college weight-training program. Smooth runner with an excellent stride when he can bounce outside to the perimeter. Not overly sudden or shifty with his elongated lower-body, but he can make defenders miss cutting laterally without losing much in transition. Long-strider when he breaks free in the second level and builds good top-end speed. While he will lower the shoulder, keep his feet churning and run through the occasional arm tackle, yards after contact at the next level is a big concern as a well as his durability as an in-line runner. His long frame and lack of great body-tilt opens him up for big hits, and he is frequently chopped down low. Lacks the sturdy build, powerful hips and leg-drive to break tackles and move the pile. Struggles picking and sliding through the hole and is not a real sudden back with a feel for the cutback. Overall, Timo is a one-gear, build-up type runner without great acceleration needed to project well as a college running back. He is very athletic and his size to speed measurable could be developed at safety if he does make the transition on offense. Continued physical develop could dictate his position and success.
                Timo is one of the guys who definitely seems to have some "upside" as a play maker. Not an overly physical runner, but more of a sped guy. Currently on a mission.

Brett Thompson (69)
                Thompson is a wide receiver with good size and a strong build, but he is strictly a possession guy with great hands and is at his best in the underneath passing game working against zone defense. Is at his best on the inside where he can work the short and intermediate range routes, settle into soft spots in zone defense and get himself open. Has a pretty good feel for coverage and the size to make himself a big target and catch balls in traffic. Is not afraid to work the middle of the field. Has size to be a threat in the redzone on fades and shows a pretty good feel for the sideline as well. The issue with Thompson is that he isn't much of a threat after the catch and lacks great speed. Lumbers a little and doesn't show quick-twitch athleticism or burst running routes or with the ball in his hands. He needs to win on know how and savvy to get himself open and be a factor. Would be a nice complement to a real speed threat on the outside a quality three or four set sub-package wide receiver.
                Another possession guy, Thompson seemed to have some upside as a play maker. I believe from the same High School as Austin Collie, currently on a mission. Could have an impact when he returns.

Other notables from this class include Cody Hoffman, Malosi Teo (gone), Peni Maka'afi, Trevor Bateman (rated as a 74 as a corner, don't see him on the roster, mission or gone?), Kyle Van Noy and Craig Bills. This class seems to be one of the better ones for play makers, especially once some of the guys get back from missions and a little more experience under their belts.

Comment

Ross Apo
                  Apo is a very intriguing offensive weapon who is essentially utilized as a hybrid WR/TE. He certainly has the height and frame to continue in this role with added development in the weight room. He possesses some of the longest arms and legs of any prospect in this class. He possesses deceptive speed and will lull you to sleep with his stride and then run right by defensive backs who think he is just a possession receiver. He is not necessarily a quick-twitch athlete, but he is incredibly athletic for his size. Explodes off the ball and gets into routes quickly. His frame and long arms create a massive target in all three phases of the game. He will line up with his hand on the ground in-line and is a real presence on option routes, crossing routes and seam routes downfield. Has a gigantic catching radius and is able to adjust his body to haul in poorly-thrown passes. He's a productive receiver with big, soft hands. He can pluck on the run and also catches the ball consistently over his head. Rarely drops a catchable pass. He flashes a mean streak at times and gets competitive. Won't back down from a challenge. However, Apo does not always play under control and is erratic as a route-runner. Hasn't learned yet to stick his foot in the ground and cut sharply. Rounds off cuts and has not grown into his lanky frame. Must develop some control as a route-runner and refine his footwork into and out of his breaks. While he shows flashes of making some impressive plays on the ball, he will also look awkward and unable to adjust. Overall, Apo is an impressive athlete that must become polished and show an attention to detail on the little nuances of the position. He could also become a legitimate TE/H-back guy in time, which gives him positional versatility and value. Very good prospect.
                  Sounds like a very good prospect. A shame he got hurt early because from his write up (and the fact that he had an offer and committed to Texas) means he probably is a pretty good prospect. As I recall, the kid is LDS... does he have mission plans or will he be around the next few years?

AJ Moore (78)
                  Moore has the size and playing speed we like to see for the running back position at the major level of competition. This is a very productive back with the skills necessary to stay on the field as an every down back. Lines up as the set back in a spread offense; shows very good quickness and vision approaching the line of scrimmage; runs over his pads with a slashing style enabling him to always gain extra yards when in traffic. This is a back with the body control, agility, and balance to make something out of nothing. Displays good eyes at the second level of defense; shows the lateral cutting ability to make defenders miss in space. Demonstrates good burst when in a crowd; although we don't see an explosive 2nd gear this guy has very good long speed and in the right situations can go the distance. We like his tough aggressive running style; has the power to pull through low tackles, shed the high tackle and finish tough along the sidelines. Will lower his pads and punish an opponent, especially near the end zone. Displays good ball catching skills; should be a solid check down and medium route runner; hands look relaxed and can catch away from his body; RAC production is similar to that of his run game. Flashes good willingness to block in both run and pass situations displaying tough attitude. Moore may not be an immediate starter at the BCS level of play but his all around skill level could get him on the field at some point during his first year of college football.
                  Admittedly, I haven't heard anything about this kid, though his write up is very promising. Sounds like he has mission plans after this year, so I am guessing he is probably a redshirt candidate. Looks like he could be a factor post-mission.

Joshua "Juice" Quezada (77)
                  Quezada is not an overly flashy runner, but this guy is really the complete package at the high school level. He has a lot of physical tools that project well as a future college load back. Is thick, built low to the ground and has good body composition. He can run, block and catch the ball out of the backfield; overall a very productive runner and also a talented safety on defense. Offensively, he is a blue-collar, downhill back who is strong and sturdy between the tackles. Attacks the hole and gets north quickly. Shows better-than-adequate burst out of his downhill cuts and flashes adequate lateral agility/shiftiness through the hole -- making the first defender miss. Most production stems off his yards after contact. He displays good in-line strength, balance and lean breaking through arm-tackles. Has a strong, powerful lower base and center of gravity that is difficult to knock off-balance. Never stops his feet or body from moving and is a determined back. Our main concern on offense is he does not always look very fluid and natural as a runner. Can miss the cutback creases and does not project high as a pick and slide zone runner at the next level. Top-end speed is solid when he breaks free into the second level but elusiveness appears marginal; not very fluid through his hips. More of a subtle, one-cut-and-go, north-south runner. Potentially a tough and consistent every-down back who could carry the load and wear down a defense as the game goes. Defensively, he is a ball-hawking safety who excels at playing the ball in front of him. Closes strong, fast and with direct angles. Good plant and drive skill. Runs the alley well getting over trash and is a collision type of tackler who can set the tempo of the difference with his fast and physical style of play. May be limited to down in the box schemes at the major college level due to his lack of great hip-fluidity and change-of-direction skill. Overall, Quezada is a tough and durable skill prospect who plays the game fast, physical and appears to be a fierce competitor. Maybe a better total football player at this point than a college positional prospect.
                  Juice has shown flashes and I would expect that by next season he is ready to take a more prominent role in the offense. More physical than JJ and probably faster than Kariya, he seems like he really is a more complete back, and had a nice TD catch against Washington. I think Juice has the ability to be a play maker out of the backfield, and I think his increased workload the last few weeks shows that he is gaining the confidence of the coaches.

Drew Phillips (76)
                  Phillips is a well-rounded, underrated back with an above average size to speed ratio. Tall and a bit lean and wiry. Will need to add more compacted bulk to continue producing yards after contact at the major college level with his one-cut and go between the tackles style. Durability is a concern in a fulltime role at this time. Squares up and gets North quickly once he finds the cutback. A slashing runner who flashes good burst out of his downhill cuts and quickness through the hole. Sharp, decisive cutter who makes the first defender miss without gearing down much. Shows good acceleration slicing through the second level and lateral quicks stretching the zone play outside. Has the speed to turn the corner and go. Glides through the second level seams with a smooth, natural running motion. Has good body control and balance out of his cuts. Breaks consistent first contact with the good momentum he gains through the hole coupled with proper shoulder lean and determination. Keeps his legs churning on contact; shows above average lower-body strength pulling through tackles and looks to finish. In the openfield he can separate with very good speed or elude with more than adequate movement skills. Philips can hurt you inside or out at the high school level but feel he will need to improve his size and explosiveness if he is going to develop into a fulltime runner at the major college level. A very good athlete with polished receiving skills making us believe he is the type of back who may be used creatively (at slot and RB) to create mismatches with his speed. Phillips' ability to add size and power to complement his aggressive, downhill running style may ultimately dictate his success at the next level; a prospect with a lot of upside and versatility.
                  Phillips is a guy that players and coaches have been raving about in practice. He got a bit of a late start due to some academic issues (I believe) and wasn't able to participate in fall camp, putting him behind and on the fast track to a redshirt. Not sure if this kid has mission plans, or if he is LDS, but given what we've heard coming out of camp, I think there is a good shot that he can be a play maker. Given our apparently depth at RB (JJ, Kariya, Juice, etc.) would not be shocked to see him move to the slot.

Surprisingly enough, the class of 2010 seems to have the most potential for play makers. Granted, there also hasn't been enough time for attrition yet, but I think the point remains that this team is very young, and mission plans probably were not handled as well as they could have been (some responsibility probably falls on coaches, some of it on the kids). With the class of 2011 looking more like a class for the trenches, with the only apparent play maker being Alex Kuresa (does anybody think this kid will really play QB?) some of those guys will have have to step up and contribute, and hopefully early and throughout their careers.

Amazingly enough, guys who typically turn into the play makers are the unheralded guys. Guys like Curtis Brown, Harvey Unga were both one or two star recruits, Dennis Pitta was a walk on, etc. We need to find those "diamonds in the rough" (or late bloomers) to be where we want to be. I think there are absolutely guys who have play maker potential in the program, however, the youth and inexperience, partly due to attrition, is really hurting the Y right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Absolutely. I was focusing more on the offensive side of the ball, since the defense seems to be doing fine since Bronco's takeover.

Comment

I don't think we lack talent. I think we lack maturity and cohesion. This team is broken and growing more broken. I predict Doman is gone before Anae is. How can we possibly give this kid a pass?

Comment

I think BYU should heavily pursue a playmaking JC wide out. I don't care if the kid hits every pair of Scando descendents of pushers/pullers canned peaches made available to him at the BYU and is out of school after football of year 1. I really think that one playmaking wr would make BYU competitive with everyone on their schedule next year, save perhaps Texas if they end up being NC caliber - I don't know enough about the Longhorns to offer an opinion.

It is my fixed opinion that by the time Heaps is a junior, he will have had the reps/practice/game reps with enough of these other young guns that BYU will be able to systematically move the ball on just about anyone. By then, I think Heaps will be the playmaker. I also think Apo has that potential but I doubt we see it from him until Heaps' JR year at the earliest. I also think that Phillips will start to show some playmaking skills when Heaps is a JR.

But for next year give me a playmaker ala Todd Watkins and the occasional glimpse of greatness from Apo, to go with the improving steadiness of two tight ends, Hoffman and Quezada.

Anyone know if the BYU coaches agree with my assesments? Is BYU seriously pursuing any JC playmaking wideouts? I know Hot Lunch recommends against it, but he is a Ute!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

My list of potential playmakers based on what we've seen/heard:

Apo
                          Hoffman
                          Holt
                          Wilson
                          Quezada
                          Phillips
                          Hine/Timo

I hope like hell that these guys pan out, because we are desperately in need of some offensive players that can make things happen.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                            I think BYU should heavily pursue a playmaking JC wide out. I don't care if the kid hits every pair of Scando descendents of pushers/pullers canned peaches made available to him at the BYU and is out of school after football of year 1. I really think that one playmaking wr would make BYU competitive with everyone on their schedule next year, save perhaps Texas if they end up being NC caliber - I don't know enough about the Longhorns to offer an opinion.

It is my fixed opinion that by the time Heaps is a junior, he will have had the reps/practice/game reps with enough of these other young guns that BYU will be able to systematically move the ball on just about anyone. By then, I think Heaps will be the playmaker. I also think Apo has that potential but I doubt we see it from him until Heaps' JR year at the earliest. I also think that Phillips will start to show some playmaking skills when Heaps is a JR.

But for next year give me a playmaker ala Todd Watkins and the occasional glimpse of greatness from Apo, to go with the improving steadiness of two tight ends, Hoffman and Quezada.

Anyone know if the BYU coaches agree with my assesments? Is BYU seriously pursuing any JC playmaking wideouts? I know Hot Lunch recommends against it, but he is a Ute!
                            Thanks Gary Crowton

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Thanks Gary Crowton
                              I am only looking for one, Elder Mendenhall and all his firesides can cover up one guy for just one year can't he?
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X