Homemade Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Ice Cream

We recently bought an ice cream making attachment for our mixer, and like most ice cream makers, it will probably be used about five times in its whole existence (bringing the cost/pint to something well above the best Ben&Jerry's).

All of that aside, tonight we enjoyed the best Fresh Banana Ice Cream I have ever tasted. The biggest downside to homemade ice cream is knowing what is in it... all of the cream and egg yolks and sugar. But OHHHHhhhh, it is so DELICIOUS!

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    We recently bought an ice cream making attachment for our mixer, and like most ice cream makers, it will probably be used about five times in its whole existence (bringing the cost/pint to something well above the best Ben&Jerry's).

All of that aside, tonight we enjoyed the best Fresh Banana Ice Cream I have ever tasted. The biggest downside to homemade ice cream is knowing what is in it... all of the cream and egg yolks and sugar. But OHHHHhhhh, it is so DELICIOUS!
    Your thread just reminded me that we own an ice cream maker. I think it has been a few years since we have used it. But, homemade ice cream is yummy. Our favorite recipes are old fashioned vanilla and lemon.

Comment

I love homemade ice cream, part of me being a fatty. We make it at least 3-4 times a summer.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

We have this icecream maker: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-...6784146&sr=8-1

It is easy, adn we use it at least once a month. You just keep the sylander int he freezer and you don't have to deal with all that ice and salt crap.

I just recently bought this book after checking it out the library 3 times. Has some good recipies.

My favorite homemade icecream is is a straight foward vanillla, with no eggs. Just milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Throw some oreos in when almost done andyou have heaven.

Comment

I used to make homemade ice cream every Sunday during the summer. My favorite was homemade strawberry, mixing two cups in at the beginning to make the ice cream pink and another two cups with about eight minutes left for strawberry chunks mixed throughout.

Alas, my ice cream days are through.

Comment

I forgot that we have an ice cream maker in our garage somewhere. It is some wooden bucket with a motorized mixer and container. It took forever and I think I realized that it was faster, easier, and just as good to go to the store and buy some.

However, maybe it is time to give it another try. Anyone have a favorite recipe they want to share? I guess i have to go the store and buy a bunch of salt and ice now.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              You just keep the sylander int he freezer and you don't have to deal with all that ice and salt crap.
              This is similar to my mixer attachment. It has a bowl that we will keep in the freezer which eliminates the need for ice and salt (take note DDD!). The problem with the old ice and salt routine is that it never really finished the ice cream. The final result was always still a thick, half-frozen batter, more like soft serve. To get properly hardened ice cream, one had to freeze the batter solid, which would generally take an additional four hours.

But taking a turn at the ice cream crank, as a child, and waiting patiently for the creamy goodness to freeze, those were some wonderful childhood memories. The value of home made ice cream, after the cost of time, ingredients and effort, can best be measured in wonderful memories.
              Last edited by RobinFinderson; 03-11-2009, 09:44 AM.

Comment

This is my grandpa's recipe for "Five Threes" ice cream:

Juice of 3 large lemons
                Juice of 3 large oranges
                Pulp of three large bananas (really mushy)
                3 Cups sugar
                3 Cups cream
                1/2 Cup milk

Stir sugar, cream, and milk together until sugar is dissolved.

Put this mixture in ice cream freezer until it is chilled and starts to thicken.

Fold in the juices and banana mush.

Continue freezing until firm.

Pack with ice and salt, and wait a couple of hours.

Indulge.

Comment

Originally posted by Senioritis View Post
                  This is my grandpa's recipe for "Five Threes" ice cream:

Juice of 3 large lemons
                  Juice of 3 large oranges
                  Pulp of three large bananas (really mushy)
                  3 Cups sugar
                  3 Cups cream
                  1/2 Cup milk

Stir sugar, cream, and milk together until sugar is dissolved.

Put this mixture in ice cream freezer until it is chilled and starts to thicken.

Fold in the juices and banana mush.

Continue freezing until firm.

Pack with ice and salt, and wait a couple of hours.

Indulge.
                  Mmmmm! This will be my next recipe. Sounds delish.

Comment

My mother has a very strict homemade ice cream schedule. I don't remember the which flavor goes with which holiday/gathering but her schedule includes:

Memorial Day
                    4th of July
                    24th of July
                    Labor Day

Peach
                    Lemon
                    Chocolate Chip
                    Strawberry
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                      Alas, my ice cream days are through.
                      What a terrible way to live!
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Why ruin a perfectly good dessert with bananas?

I like bananas, but not for dessert.
                        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          Why ruin a perfectly good dessert with bananas?

I like bananas, but not for dessert.
                          I love fresh banana ice cream! Few things are worse than that artificial banana flavor. It tastes nothing like bananas, and for the life of me, I can't figure out who likes to eat it. But fresh bananas in ice cream or pie... mmmmMMMMM!

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            I love fresh banana ice cream! Few things are worse than that artificial banana flavor. It tastes nothing like bananas, and for the life of me, I can't figure out who likes to eat it. But fresh bananas in ice cream or pie... mmmmMMMMM!
                            Especially banana cream pie.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              Especially banana cream pie.
                              No. It's all about coconut cream. Again, who would ruin a perfectly good dessert with bananas?
                              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Working...
                              X