PAC12 North and South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAC12 North and South

Who won and who lost? I wonder how Cal and Stanford feel about being split up with SC and UCLA. One thing I think they need to change is for their conference championship to be played at a neutral field.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Who won and who lost? I wonder how Cal and Stanford feel about being split up with SC and UCLA. One thing I think they need to change is for their conference championship to be played at a neutral field.
    Depends on your metric of determining "won/lost".

If you are considering revenue, all 12 schools are going to win in a big way by going to 12, adding markets and a championship game.

All the schools are going to get a LOT more money. And that was what expansion was all about really.

Now, from there, you can debate who "won" the most, etc, but I dont' think there are any losers here.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      I like the title game being on the home field of the top team in the league...it's a nice reward for regular season excellence. I think they looked at conferences like the ACC and figured that they didn't want a situation where tickets aren't sold to the title game because of travel considerations (especially if the winner goes to the BCS title game or Rose Bowl) for fans. It'll be a sellout every year...and, could lay the groundwork for a playoff/+1 type model.
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

The 4 California schools play each other every year, therefore from that standpoint nothing has changed.

It blows that we replaced the trip to Seattle. That is a really great roadie to make once every four years.

Most sc fans are not jazzed about going to slc and Denver and nobody was ever jazzed about Tucson or Phoenix. But for those with ties to the state of Utah, it isn't a bad deal at all.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
          All the schools are going to get a LOT more money. And that was what expansion was all about really.
          What are the before and after (projected) numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
            What are the before and after (projected) numbers?
            Hard to say really. It depends on where you measure the "before".

Right now, the TV deal is worth about $60m annually. It is obvious that Scott expects the new deal to be in the $150m-$180m range. But it is also obvious that even if they had stayed the status quo, the new TV deal would've been significantly larger than the $60m they are currently at.

So, the real question is this: what were the projections for the new TV deal had the PAC-10 not expanded vs expanding and including a conference championship game and adding two more teams to divide the pie with?

Obviously Scott and the PAC-10 CEO's did their due diligence and consulted with their media friends to determine those numbers, and in the end feel pretty confident that moving to two divisions and adding a championship game added more, even after dividing it more ways, than if they had decided to stand pat. What those exact numbers are, only they will really know.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
              Hard to say really. It depends on where you measure the "before".

Right now, the TV deal is worth about $60m annually. It is obvious that Scott expects the new deal to be in the $150m-$180m range. But it is also obvious that even if they had stayed the status quo, the new TV deal would've been significantly larger than the $60m they are currently at.

So, the real question is this: what were the projections for the new TV deal had the PAC-10 not expanded vs expanding and including a conference championship game and adding two more teams to divide the pie with?

Obviously Scott and the PAC-10 CEO's did their due diligence and consulted with their media friends to determine those numbers, and in the end feel pretty confident that moving to two divisions and adding a championship game added more, even after dividing it more ways, than if they had decided to stand pat. What those exact numbers are, only they will really know.
              Obviously with the threshold at $175 million for equal revenue sharing this is probably the expected TV deal's minimum value.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X