Juan Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Gone

What do you dudes think? Did NPR overreact?

Maybe, just a tad...

Comment

Absolutely.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Yeah. In reading NPR's reasoning it seems like they were looking for a reason to let him go based on allegations of previous journalistic indiscretions.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I find it odd that progressives are so wont to defend Islam.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Overreact or not, what he said is a joke and offensive. Basically, Muslims are the "others" that we should be afraid off.

Comment

It was a clear breach of standards, and Williams hasn't seemed that important to NPR since he stopped hosting Talk of the Nation. In other words it looks like NPR had more to gain from canning him than keeping him on, and clarity of the breach means NPR had good cause. With his ties to Fox already established, along with the Fox vs. Liberal Media narrative that helps fuel Fox, plus the fact that he is a minority reporter that has written about civil rights while still having an overall conservative bent, I'm sure that Williams will have a soft landing at Fox.

As to what he actually said, it was a stupid and unnecessary personal fact that, if true, should never be shared by any public figure. I'm sure many public figures have all kinds of stupid personal beliefs on all kinds of subjects. If these public figures value their reputation, they need to keep these ideas to themselves.

Comment

Yes, they did. I haven't seen a video of Juan's comments, but they reminded me a bit of Jesse Jackson several years ago when he admitted that, when walking down the street toward a group of youths, he was relieved to see they were white. Jackson's comments were more self-reflective, but they are in the same vein. No reason to fire that I can see.

NPR is the only over-the-air radio I listen to. I know some will disagree with me, but I think their news is the least biased out there (several opinion and analysis shows skew left, but the news is pretty even). This doesn't help their image.

Comment

Yeah, I think they overreacted.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    It was a clear breach of standards, and Williams hasn't seemed that important to NPR since he stopped hosting Talk of the Nation. In other words it looks like NPR had more to gain from canning him than keeping him on, and clarity of the breach means NPR had good cause. With his ties to Fox already established, along with the Fox vs. Liberal Media narrative that helps fuel Fox, plus the fact that he is a minority reporter that has written about civil rights while still having an overall conservative bent, I'm sure that Williams will have a soft landing at Fox.

As to what he actually said, it was a stupid and unnecessary personal fact that, if true, should never be shared by any public figure. I'm sure many public figures have all kinds of stupid personal beliefs on all kinds of subjects. If these public figures value their reputation, they need to keep these ideas to themselves.
                    I disagree on a couple of points. I think NPR has a couple of things to lose. FIrst, federal funding, which some are calling for. Second, they already have a reputation as left-leaning (which, as I said in my earlier post, I don't think is true for the news organization). This move reinforces that image.

I also disagree that things like this shouldn't be shared. We all have biases and stereotypes. It doesn't do us any good to hide these and pretend that anyone who holds any bias is a bad person. I admit that, especially soon after 9/11, I didn't feel as comfortable flying with obvious Muslims. I recognize that it is a mostly unfounded bias, but it doesn't mean I should never mention it, and it doesn't mean I am a member of the Hitler youth.

Comment

Big overreaction, for reasons stated here already.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yes, but who cares about NPR? IMHO, NPR is was only good for broadcasting car talk. Now I get my fix of Click and Clack by downloading their podcasts directly from the source.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I like Juan Williams and NPR is wrong. You can tell what this is about from the comments of the NPR CEO. Juan will be fine and NPR lost a good journalist.

Comment

I love NPR but they were way too hasty and they pulled a Shirley Sherrod on Juan.

Comment

It was a CLEAR breach of standards, by a LONG shot. For those who think that NPR is overreacting, is it because you think the standards are wrong, or because the enforcement is wrong?

To people in the first camp (you believe that journalists should be able to share their prejudice without professional reprisal), do you also think that the handling of Helen Thomas was also an 'overreaction?'

To people in the second camp (you think NPR was right, but that firing went too far), what do you think of the Helen Thomas situation, AND how far would one have to cross the line before one had gone too far? If a person shared the bias that, after spending a lot of time around polygamist Mormons who married underage girls to old men (a small radical subset of all Mormons) that he felt uncomfortable around ALL Mormons, would that be going too far?

Comment

Working...
                              X