Mormon weirdness / culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon weirdness / culture

ER's statement in the other thread got me thinking. It seems like there are several groups of active Mormons"

1. Active LDS who both believe and are totally into / participate in the weirdness that is Mormon culture. In most cases I think they are just oblivious to its weirdness.

2. Active LDS who are active because they believe, in spite of the culture. Count the FMCoug family in this group.

3. Active LDS who are active because of the culture/family ties but do not believe. There may be two groups here .. one that is like those in #1 in terms of the culture and one who are "social" Mormons due to family ties, etc.

I suspect the vast majority are in group 1, with groups 2 and 3 being the outliers. But groups 2 and 3 probably make up the bulk of CUF'ers.

Of course then there are the apostates like SU or Robin who can't let it go ... another subject entirely.
    Last edited by FMCoug; 03-10-2009, 02:51 PM.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Why do you believe group 2 would be the outliers? From my conversations over the last few months, I'm starting to think CB gives people a warped view of the church as you get a lot of #1s who band together for support.

I suspect group 2 will never reach a critical mass on any message board.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
      Why do you believe group 2 would be the outliers? From my conversations over the last few months, I'm starting to think CB gives people a warped view of the church as you get a lot of #1s who band together for support.

You could be right about CB giving a warped view ... but I think group 2 probably has critical mass on this board. Maybe we should post a poll.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post

I am solidly group 2. All of my critiques of Utah have nothing to do with Utah per se but rather to do with the fact that there are more group 1 people there than otherwise. Which is rather like saying there are more tuna in the oceans than in the forests.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Group 2 for me and mine. I believe that is a good balance.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I am #2. *rimshot*
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              ER's statement in the other thread got me thinking. It seems like there are several groups of active Mormons"

1. Active LDS who both believe and are totally into / participate in the weirdness that is Mormon culture. In most cases I think they are just oblivious to its weirdness.

2. Active LDS who are active because they believe, in spite of the culture. Count the FMCoug family in this group.

3. Active LDS who are active because of the culture/family ties but do not believe. There may be two groups here .. one that is like those in #1 in terms of the culture and one who are "social" Mormons due to family ties, etc.

I suspect the vast majority are in group 1, with groups 2 and 3 being the outliers. But groups 2 and 3 probably make up the bulk of CUF'ers.

Of course then there are the apostates like SU or Robin who can't let it go ... another subject entirely.
              I would say that I'm a member of group 2.

I also think there is a tendency in group 1 to be actively defensive of the LDS culture and antagonistic toward group 2.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I also think there is a tendency in group 1 to be actively defensive of the LDS culture and antagonistic toward group 2.
                Agreed. And are quick to take offense at any jabs (even humorous ones) at the culture.

EDIT: One other thing, they are also fairly likely to be confused about or not see the difference between the gospel/faith/belief and the culture.
                Last edited by FMCoug; 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Agreed. And are quick to take offense at any jabs (even humorous ones) at the culture.

EDIT: One other thing, they are also fairly likely to be confused about or not see the difference between the gospel/faith/belief and the culture.
                  I think that is correct. It is probably grounded in some insecurity or feeling of instability. I'll leave it to the shrinks to determine which.

Comment

I think most active, believing LDS are a hybrid of both. There are many parts of Mormon culture which I reject, but many I embrace. For instance, I don't care about shirt color, facial hair, caffeine content, movie ratings and Work and Glory books. Yet I ardently embrace the flagship university of the church, hold FHE, read the Friend with my kids, and do a number of other things unique to LDS culture. Even FM has allowed his religion to influence his employment decision.

I think what we're seeing a lot of on message boards is what Freud terms the narcissism of small differences. There really is little difference between the two categories. Yet these differences are so blown out of proportion, often by both groups, to ensure that they can feel better about the way they live their interpretation of the gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                      I would say that I'm a member of group 2.

And group 2 isn't antagonistic toward group 1?

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        I think most active, believing LDS are a hybrid of both. There are many parts of Mormon culture which I reject, but many I embrace. For instance, I don't care about shirt color, facial hair, caffeine content, movie ratings and Work and Glory books. Yet I ardently embrace the flagship university of the church, hold FHE, read the Friend with my kids, and do a number of other things unique to LDS culture. Even FM has allowed his religion to influence his employment decision.
                        I would argue that your examples are all examples of "living the gospel", not just culture. Of course Group 1's would probably say the same thing about all of it ...

Certainly my employment decision was 100% Group 2. I won't go into details in a public forum but the "IN SPITE OF" was a huge thing for me. My issues with the Utah culture are well-documented so it was a huge concern.

Comment

There are actually 5 kinds of Mormons. But only 14 people are "genuine" Mormons. Cougarboard is comprised of Nazi Mormons.

http://www.mudrow.org/Herb/FKM1.html

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            I think what we're seeing a lot of on message boards is what Freud terms the narcissism of small differences
                            show off.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Certainly my employment decision was 100% Group 2. I won't go into details in a public forum but the "IN SPITE OF" was a huge thing for me. My issues with the Utah culture are well-documented so it was a huge concern.
                              But that's the thing, even considering your religion in an employment decision is unique to that religions culture. Outside of the Mormon (and other demanding religion) culture, taking a pay cut and moving to a state you don't like due to a religious belief is weirdness.

Comment

Working...
                              X