Receivers and tight ends finally under some fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receivers and tight ends finally under some fire

So Jaime Hill is kicked off the team and Bronco lights a fire under the defense. O'Neill Chambers is kicked off and Bronco goes after the receivers. Things I'm interested in knowing (although some of it may be unknowable):

-How will the receivers respond to this?
    -Why didn't something like this happen earlier?
    -How much of an impact did OC's attitude have on on-field performance of other receivers?
    -How is the offense going to mold over the next several weeks? BYU appears poised to commit to a running game, but if something big changes and receivers are able to get open and start catching the ball, will BYU move to a more balanced or return to a pass-happy offense?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/b...nhall.html.csp

...I just filed a story for the newspaper about how coach Bronco Mendenhall called out the receivers and tight ends in a meeting today.
    But that doesn't do justice to what went on today around the BYU football facility -- before and during practice.
    Before practice, Mendenhall had some sort of meeting with offensive players, and he generally read them the riot act, I've been told. He called out specific guys, and told them to either improve their play and effort, or get tossed out the door.
    "The wide receivers and tight ends got yelled at good," my source said.
    Long after practice was over, one of those players was still running, doing pushups and somersault-type maneuvers under the watchful eye of a particular offensive coach. Looked like punishment to me -- I can't be sure.
    The kid gloves are definitely off in Cougar Town. A 2-5 record will do that to a team -- and to a coaching staff.

----------------------

Print reporters are not allowed to watch practice. A few more observations from someone in the know:
    * The tight end situation is as jumbled as it was when the season started. The five freshmen vying to be the starter -- Richard Wilson, Mike Muehlmann, Marcus Mathews, Devin Mahina and Austin Holt -- are all still in the mix, although Holt is out temporarily with a concussion.
    Earlier this week, Muehlmann and Mahina were put on the scout team [], although they've probably played the most in games. By Tuesday, Muehlmann was back in the mix to be the starter [] due to Holt's concussion.
    But the unquestioned tight end star of practice tonight was Wilson, who caught four touchdown passes.
    "If he doesn't start [Saturday], I am going to punch somebody," my source said.
    (Another source told me over the weekend that Jake Heaps is most comfortable throwing to Wilson and has told people Wilson runs the best routes and gets open the most).
    McKay Jacobson and Cody Hoffman also caught a couple of touchdown passes apiece (going against the scout team) tonight.

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    So Jaime Hill is kicked off the team and Bronco lights a fire under the defense. O'Neill Chambers is kicked off and Bronco goes after the receivers. Things I'm interested in knowing (although some of it may be unknowable):

-How much of an impact did OC's attitude have on on-field performance of other receivers?
    -How is the offense going to mold over the next several weeks? BYU appears poised to commit to a running game, but if something big changes and receivers are able to get open and start catching the ball, will BYU move to a more balanced or return to a pass-happy offense?

And the theme of the 2010 football season continues to develop...

- Why not settle on one QB earlier?
    - Why not deal with Coach Hill's issues earlier?
    - Why not quit rotating so many TE/WR/LB earlier?
    - Why didn't Bronco get more involved with the defense earlier?
    - Why didn't Bronco get involved with the offense earlier?

Comment

Bout time. Those guys have sucked.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post

That's good news. I like to hear that Richard Wilson is separating himself from the other TEs.

I've said this before, but I don't know why Richard Wilson hasn't been the TE getting the vast majority of playing time from game one. Sure, he has dropped a few passes, but he is the most talented guy and it seems like he would be much farther ahead if he had been the only guy out there. I think it makes a lot of sense to rotate in a lot of different DLs to keep everybody fresh. It's fine to rotate in a few different running backs. But tight end and receiver are different. Rotating in 4 different TEs seems idiotic. How can you expect the QB and TE to refine their timing and get consistent by playing so many guys?

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
          And the theme of the 2010 football season continues to develop...

- Why not settle on one QB earlier?
          - Why not deal with Coach Hill's issues earlier?
          - Why not quit rotating so many TE/WR/LB earlier?
          - Why didn't Bronco get more involved with the defense earlier?
          - Why didn't Bronco get involved with the offense earlier?
          Prescience versus hard data?
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            That's good news. I like to hear that Richard Wilson is separating himself from the other TEs.

I've said this before, but I don't know why Richard Wilson hasn't been the TE getting the vast majority of playing time from game one. Sure, he has dropped a few passes, but he is the most talented guy and it seems like he would be much farther ahead if he had been the only guy out there. I think it makes a lot of sense to rotate in a lot of different DLs to keep everybody fresh. It's fine to rotate in a few different running backs. But tight end and receiver are different. Rotating in 4 different TEs seems idiotic. How can you expect the QB and TE to refine their timing and get consistent by playing so many guys?
            Again...this is against our non-press defense so "getting open" when they get off the line scott-free is simply irrelevant and it's showed to this point. The ONLY thing that I want to hear is that the skill positions were read the riot act and need to start playing with more fire. If they do, great but until they show it against man-press coverage I don't want to hear about the amount of TDs caught in practice against our scout squad.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

* The receivers definitely got the message from Mendenhall loud and clear, if their effort in practice tonight is any indication. "Receivers were going about three-quarters before, but they were definitely giving it 100 percent."
              Why didn't this happen earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                Why didn't this happen earlier?
                Who's to say it didn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Who's to say it didn't?
                  You, I guess. Wouldn't that be what you're saying?
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

This is one of the issues I have with Bronco. He seems to take a really long time to acknowledge that there is a problem and longer still to do something about it. He does do a pretty good job of fixing the problems, I just wish it didn't require 6-8 weeks for shipping and handling.

- I think Chambers was a problem, but not the problem.
                    - If the root problem(s) wasn't addressed I expect improvements to be short lived.
                    - Why did Bronco need to do this? Where's Anae, I thought the offense was his baby?

Alternatively, he's a theory on why now was the perfect time for Bronco to try to turn the offense around and why efforts to do it earlier would have failed: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=6095912

Comment

Who's to say it didn't?
                      Who's to say it did?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        Who's to say it did?
                        Exactly. Asking why it didn't happen before would imply that you know for a fact that it hasn't.

Comment

Exactly. Asking why it didn't happen before would imply that you know for a fact that it hasn't.
                          The cone of silence BYU used to prevent any info leaking about this previously happening must be pretty big. Perhaps they should have used it on Chambers instead.

Comment

Something changed their behavior. I wonder why that something wasn't done earlier, whatever it was.

Comment

Depending which part of the cited quote from the source is being referenced. I think it is pretty clear, given the information/speculation available to us, that the receivers both didn't get the memo from the coaches (whatever memo was being handed out this year) at any point earlier this year and haven't worked as hard as they have been this week.

Whether Bronco's riot act routine with them was new this week or not, the response from the receivers certainly seems to be new.

Comment

Working...
                              X