The fire Robert Anae thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fire Robert Anae thread

Seriously, he sucks. BYU won the last 4 years in spite of him.

http://twitter.com/#!/BYUdeepthrowt

Sounds like some of the powers that be share my opinion.

Comment

10 or 11 years ago I heard the same thing about Norm Chow.

Anae isn't bad, the skill players are horrible.

Comment

if not Anae then who?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          if not Anae then who?
          Doman or Reynolds, I guess. Doman if you think he's good enough for the job in the longish term, Reynolds with Doman calling plays if you just want a change until you can bring someone in after the season. I just don't think it could be much worse than it is right now.

Anae doesn't have a system. He seemingly calls random plays without regard to personnel, situation, or what the defense is doing. His plays rarely make sense in relation to each other, either. Why did he think screens and draws would work when the defense knew Heaps wasn't actually going to drop back to pass? Why did he abandon the I-formation the whole first half, when most anyone could have told him that TCU's D was too fast for draws and sweeps? Why is it so often apparent what the play is going to be just based on formation? Why didn't it occur to him that an execution-based offense wouldn't work with a bunch of freshmen?

Maybe he's actually a genius and I'm just not seeing it, but I've hated his playcalling for years.

I've heard some say that he was a really good OL coach, but I think he's one level above his ability right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
            10 or 11 years ago I heard the same thing about Norm Chow.

Anae isn't bad, the skill players are horrible.
            Yep. More than one person was calling for a certain head coach's job towards the end of his career too.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
              Yep. More than one person was calling for a certain head coach's job towards the end of his career too.
              ...and people were calling for Crowton's firing too. Do you have an argument or are you just stating the obvious for fun?

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                ...and people were calling for Crowton's firing too. Do you have an argument or are you just stating the obvious for fun?
                i'm not talking about gc.

Comment

i'm not talking about gc.
                  I know. I was using Crowton to show that you don't have a point.

Comment

little combative, eh?

good (legendary) coaches have bad seasons with ineffective personnel. sometimes the uninformed observers, even high level, well connected observers, call for these coaches jobs despite a track record of successful results. give it time, you don't have all the facts.

Comment

little combative, eh?

good (legendary) coaches have bad seasons with ineffective personnel. sometimes the uninformed observers, even high level, well connected observers, call for these coaches jobs despite a track record of successful results. give it time, you don't have all the facts.
                      Dude, you're stating the obvious. Would you not agree that there are occasions when a coach isn't getting the job done? It is my contention that this is one of those times. Anae is not getting the job done.

Furthermore, I think his track record is not as good as you seem to believe, relative to the talent he has had, and that he has been thoroughly exposed this season in his unwillingness to change his gameplan to suit his personnel and in his inability to develop young players. His playcalling has sucked for years, if not from day one, and I've heard many reports that former BYU offensive players, including QBs, agree with this assessment. It's just that they were talented enough to overcome it, except when they played against good teams (Anae's history against top 25 competition is not good).

Comment

And yes, I'm feeling strongly about it right now, because BYU's next 4 opponents have some of the very worst defenses in all of FBS. If a change doesn't happen right now, it might not happen for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                          Dude, you're stating the obvious. Would you not agree that there are occasions when a coach isn't getting the job done? It is my contention that this is one of those times. Anae is not getting the job done.

Furthermore, I think his track record is not as good as you seem to believe, relative to the talent he has had, and that he has been thoroughly exposed this season in his unwillingness to change his gameplan to suit his personnel and in his inability to develop young players. His playcalling has sucked for years, if not from day one, and I've heard many reports that former BYU offensive players, including QBs, agree with this assessment. It's just that they were talented enough to overcome it, except when they played against good teams (Anae's history against top 25 competition is not good).
                          4/5 of his seasons with the team have been ten win seasons with average defenses (at best), and haven't been spectacularly talented. i have no idea which players you're talking about, and i'm not sure if players with playing time axes to grind are exactly reliable. he's gotten the job done every year but this year, and it's not like that happened without a great degree of offensive efficiency.

i agree that this season has been terrible, and is tough to explain away. i think given his track record, though, calls for his head are premature. head coach in training doman has a great offensive mind, and he is undoubtedly the next oc. i'm not sure he's ready yet, and putting him in prematurely would be an even bigger disaster than a 2-5 start.

Comment

4/5 of his seasons with the team have been ten win seasons with average defenses (at best), and haven't been spectacularly talented. i have no idea which players you're talking about, and i'm not sure if players with playing time axes to grind are exactly reliable. he's gotten the job done every year but this year, and it's not like that happened without a great degree of offensive efficiency.

i agree that this season has been terrible, and is tough to explain away. i think given his track record, though, calls for his head are premature. head coach in training doman has a great offensive mind, and he is undoubtedly the next oc. i'm not sure he's ready yet, and putting him in prematurely would be an even bigger disaster than a 2-5 start.
                            Again, his track record isn't as great as his record might indicate. That's why I tried to preempt this exact response. About 8 of those 10 or 11 wins per season were gimmes given the level of talent he had to work with and given the terrible competition. Look up his record against top 25 teams, or even top 50 teams. Look up how his offenses have done against Utah, TCU, Florida State, etc. There are a few respectable games in there, but most of the time his offenses got shut down.

People have been talking about his predictable and boneheaded playcalling for years. It's a cliche at this point.

Why do you assume those players had axes to grind? It's always the big names that get cited regarding Anae's incompetence.

Comment

little combative, eh?

I was working in Columbus, Ohio several years ago. I remember that the fans then were calling for Jim Tressell's head. Apparently Tressell got smarter.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                              X