Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah-Wyoming

Overview

Utah and Wyoming come into this game from opposite sides of a rout. Utah won impressively at Iowa St. 68-27 and Wyoming was drubbed by TCU 45-0 in Ft. Worth. Wyoming is 2-4 with all of their losses against teams that were ranked at the time(including 3 top 10 teams). They have a respectable win on the road against Toledo and a ho-hum win in the opener against SUU.

Utah is 5-0, and are hitting on all cylinders. Since a mistake filled opener against Pitt, the closest game was 28 points and they have scored 50+ in the last 3 games.

Utah Defense vs Wyoming Offense

Passing Game

Soph. Austyn Carta-Samuels missed the game against TCU due to injury, but is reported to be back at full strength for this game. WR David Leonard is the main target in the passing game with 22-219-0. WR Chris McNeil is second on the team with 14-118-1. The Cowboys average 171.5 yds/game which puts them in 8th place in the MWC(ahead of only Air Force).

Utah's defense is allowing 163.6 yds/gm and has collected 4 interceptions. CB Brandon Burton collected his first pick against ISU and continues to lead the secondary.

Advantage Utah

Running Game

Wyoming averages a dysmal 69.2 yds/gm. RB Alvester Alexander lead the team with 277 yds on 91 carries. Dual threat QB, Austyn Carta-Samuels, is second with 52-108.

Utah gave up a year high 170yds on the ground last week against ISU bringing their season average up to 103.4 yds/gm. While a good chuck of those yards were in the 4th quarter against the 2nd and 3rd string, ISU's quarterback showed that Utah has some weakness against the edge rushing game. ACS has the ability to exploit that weakness this week, but one wonders if his line will give him that chance.

Advantage Utah

Utah's Offense vs. Wyoming's Defense

Passing game

Jordan Wynn is coming off his best performance of the year with 23-31, 325, 2-1. Utah completed passes to 8 different receivers. Jereme Brooks continues to lead the receiving corp with 24-336-4. DeVonte Christopher is the high yardage for the year with 18-348-3. Utah's QB's lead the conference with 70.5% completion rate and are second in the MWC with 249.4 yds/gm.

Wyoming is currently giving up 219.3 yds/game but has given up 14 passing TD's as well. SS Shamiel Gary and FS Chris Prosinski are in the top 3 in tackling for the year, which doesn't bode well for the success of a team

Advantage Utah

Running Game

Utah's two pronged running attack of Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide continue to churn out solid cumulative production combining for 526 yds, 8 tds, on 108 carries, with all 3 areas evenly split. Utah has averaged 188.8 yards a game for 3rd in conference.

Wyoming has been dreadful against the run, giving up 251 yds/gm. Ironically, they only allowed. The front seven are undersized and have been outmatched all year. Look for this trend to continue.

Advantage Utah

Special Teams

After the debacle that was the Pittsburg game, Utah's Special teams have dominated their counterparts. Led by Shaky Smithson and Reggie Dunn, the return game yields an average of 21.3 yds on punts and 31.2 yds on KO returns. Both of these lead the conference and rank 3rd and 1st nationally. After a shaky start, Sean Sellwood is now averaging 46.8 yds/gross(which includes 2 blocks). Joe Phillips has been perfect 7-7 on FG and 32 XP.

For Wyoming, Austin McCoy has been well practiced with 38 punts on the year for an avg of 45.1 yds. THeir return teams average 8.5 yds or punt return and 20.1 yds on kick returns.

Advantage Utah

Final Analysis

It is homecoming in Laramie so the Cowboys are hoping for a hostile environment and some adverse weather to help sway the tide in this game. Look for Utah to dominate with their running game to control the clock. Wyoming's only chance to win this game is if Austyn Carta-Samuels is able to run wild at the edges and convert broken plays with his legs and arm. Utah should win in a landslide.

Utah 44 Wyoming 10
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 10-14-2010, 04:33 PM.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Utah 44 Wyoming 10
    That almost sounds disappointing given last week's score was 41-14 at halftime, and ISU is a better team than Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
      That almost sounds disappointing given last week's score was 41-14 at halftime, and ISU is a better team than Wyoming.
      Yeah, it is hard to predict a quarter like the 2nd against ISU. The only one better in recent memory was the 1st quarter against Alabama.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I'm hoping to see crooked numbers from the ground game. Seems like they've been slightly underachieving to this point. Obviously I'll still be happy with a big win regardless of where the points come from, though.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          I'm hoping to see crooked numbers from the ground game. Seems like they've been slightly underachieving to this point. Obviously I'll still be happy with a big win regardless of where the points come from, though.
          I'm past worrying about the numbers from the ground game. We're nearly halfway through a season, and Brooks, DVC, Shaky and now Reggie Dunn are all much better breakaway, big-play threats than either EW3 or Asiata. I like having those two in the red zone, but I prefer getting the ball in the hands of our playmakers first and foremost.

Comment

Utah in the all-white, takes the opening kickoff to the 30.
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

good to see matthews get into the endzone. Seems like we picked up right where we left off last week.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

The no huddle is killing them. 3 passes to Clifford on the same drive, who knew we had tight ends

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Stop throwing the Fucking FADE

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    Stop throwing the Fucking FADE
                    Bad throw and bad read.

Comment

Bad throw and bad read.
                      yep. Wynn still makes some decisions in the red zone.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Bad throw and bad read.
                        You also forgot poor effort by the receiver. It was the trifecta of bad on that one.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Whit needs to wake these guys up. Sluggish performance.

Comment

Good to get points there, but I would like to see Wynn not try to throw the ball into as many tight windows.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

The field is gray. Is any nice looking in laramie?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Working...
                              X