Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Pet Peeves...

This one should be fun too.....

1. Cheap Mormons...some folks take great pride in it. I don't get it. It is just money after all. I am not talking about me driving a Tundra and them driving an 87 Chevelle because theirs is paid for. I am talking about me eating Oreo's and them eating Hydroxios. There is literally a .27 difference in price. BUT THERE IS AN 11,000,000,000 DIFFERENCE IN TASTE YOU CHEAP BASTARD! (I hope everyone got that that number is eleventy billion!)

2. Judgemental Mormons... (I am not being judgemental of course, this is just and observation) I don't hang out with LDS people outside of church. My best friend is LDS, but I didn't know that they first day we started hanging out. Other than that I don't typically hang out with them.

Here is why...

LDS people typically spend alot of time looking down on other people. My favorite is looking down on those that drink or smoke. I believe that they look at those people and think that they are better than them because of it. And they turn their nose.

I hang out with the drinkers and the smokers. Why? They know they are screwed up and have problems, so they don't spend time looking for problems in other folks. Generally LDS people do.

3. Jesus lovers...When I see someone wearing "The Lords Gym" shirts it gives me the creeps and I want to kick them in the junk. Same goes for the "My boss is a jewish carpenter". No he isn't. Your boss is some 30 something dude from Los Angeles. Back to work idiot.

On a side note....

The "Jesus died for me shirt". NO HE DIDN'T. He died because a bunch of romans placed him on a cross. I am sure the last thing that went through his mind was... Here you go Billy! It just makes me uncomfortable.

4. People that call him Jesus. I didn't grow up referring to him that way. I don't feel comfortable using it and I get creeped out when other people do.

5. Testimony meeting. My wife gets mad at me because my girls and I play testimony bingo now. I will make a copy of my New Years FT meeting card before we start this year. That is always my favorite.

6. 3 hour block. Fix it. We don't need 3 hours. Most of the time I think I would be good with 15 minute blocks.

7. Creative church signs. Generally they make me laugh. And I don't think that is what they are there for.

8. Parents that don't show up when Mutual is over. LISTEN PEOPLE IT ENDS AT 8. Don't mosey in here at 820 to pick up your kid. Now you are showing me disrespect because your time is more valuable than mine. I have more than once told a young man his parents aren't being very respectful to my time. It is great.

9. Not starting a meeting on time. Mutual starts at 7. Not 705. If it is just me, a Deacon and the YW President we are starting. I don't care if we all know the bishopric and 22 more people will be there at 705. They all own watches. I have told the bishpric before that they can always let me go if they don't like that one.

I feel better already.

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    This one should be fun too.....

1. Cheap Mormons...some folks take great pride in it. I don't get it. It is just money after all. I am not talking about me driving a Tundra and them driving an 87 Chevelle because theirs is paid for. I am talking about me eating Oreo's and them eating Hydroxios. There is literally a .27 difference in price. BUT THERE IS AN 11,000,000,000 DIFFERENCE IN TASTE YOU CHEAP BASTARD! (I hope everyone got that that number is eleventy billion!)
    That reminds me. Please consider donating to this site. We are still upside down.

(Donate link is in the navbar between FAQ and Members List.)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That reminds me. Please consider donating to this site. We are still upside down.

I'll hook you up when the X-mas bonus arrives next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Done deal.

I am disappointed I wan't asked to help contribute at the start. I would have kicked down. I know I am not the most active participant...

I will kick quartlerly...

Comment

I also forgot....

Spritual Voice...you don't have to change your tone to try to convince me what you are about to say is really spiritual. I will determine that for myself.

Comment

LDS people typically spend alot of time looking down on other people. My favorite is looking down on those that drink or smoke. I believe that they look at those people and think that they are better than them because of it. And they turn their nose.

I hang out with the drinkers and the smokers. Why? They know they are screwed up and have problems, so they don't spend time looking for problems in other folks. Generally LDS people do.
            I don't mind hanging out with people that are drinkers. They like it if I come to Squatters or Red Rocks with them before a Jazz game or Bees game because I can drive. I don't mind going because I get free Root Beer or Ginger Ale.

I don't hang out with smokers. I can't stand the smell, I can't stand to be in the house of a smoker, the car of a smoker, etc. It stinks, it's gross, they're always coughing and hacking and have to go outside every 30 minutes. I just don't want to hang out around smokers. Smokers can be nice people - one of the nicest guys I've ever met was a smoker - but I just don't want to hang out with them.

Comment

I can get on board with rolling my eyes at most anything that is the equivalent of praying on street corners, which a lot of what you are pointing to is. I stop short of being annoyed because the very most over the top people I have known on some of those things have also been the most sincere.

Its not for me, and I don't think they need to do it, but a lot of people do some of that with good or at least innocent intentions so I don't judge.

Comment

I also forgot....

Spritual Voice...you don't have to change your tone to try to convince me what you are about to say is really spiritual. I will determine that for myself.
                I had one of my worst attacks ever of inappropriate giggles over this. I was in a recommend interview with the second councilor in my previous stake and we were just talking, shooting the breeze, making small talk and then suddenly and without warning, in a voice that literally sounded like it belonged to some other person than the one I had been talking to, a voice that was much quieter, lower, softer and GAish, he says "Brother UtahDan, do you believe in God...."

I just about lost it. It was funny, but I pinched by leg and bit my cheek and held it together.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  I don't hang out with smokers. I can't stand the smell, I can't stand to be in the house of a smoker, the car of a smoker, etc. It stinks, it's gross, they're always coughing and hacking and have to go outside every 30 minutes. I just don't want to hang out around smokers. Smokers can be nice people - one of the nicest guys I've ever met was a smoker - but I just don't want to hang out with them.
                  I get that. It isn't like a look for them to hang. I smoked as a teenager when I was inactive, so I don't get bothered by it.

I work in the oilfield though. 2nd hand smoke isn't what I generally worry about getting me.

Comment

Using the EQ as a moving service...most of the time without notice. That sucks for both the EQ pres and the EQ members.
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Brag-imonies. You know what I am talking about. In the context of being "thankful for blessings", they slip in a not-so-subtle revelation about a job promotion, athletic accomplishment of a kid, etc. Argh....
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

closing a talk, testimony, etc. "in the name of THY son". He's not my son you moron. Do these people even think about what they are saying?
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

big surprise coming from me ... but pioneer talks where it has to be about THEIR ancestors. Who gives a shit who your ancestors are. Pioneer stories are inspiring to everyone ... it makes no difference that they were you great granfather.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            Using the EQ as a moving service...most of the time without notice. That sucks for both the EQ pres and the EQ members.
                            I agree with this one. Anybody making decent money should just hire movers. It's the cheapness of Mormons that motivates them to do it through the EQ.

Also, when people are moving out of the ward where they have been for years, I have no idea why people involve the EQ or Church at all. What I have done is just call up a few of my better friends in the ward and they come to help me move just the big furniture pieces. That way you're not needlessly bothering any middle man like the EQ president or wasting everybody's time making an announcement in church, etc.

And I think most guys like helping with moves much more when it's a personal request from the guy who needs help rather than an institutional-level, guilt-inspiring request from the EQ Pres.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              big surprise coming from me ... but pioneer talks where it has to be about THEIR ancestors. Who gives a shit who your ancestors are. Pioneer stories are inspiring to everyone ... it makes no difference that they were you great granfather.
                              My wife also lacks pioneer ancestry (she's a convert who grew up in Connecticut) and this is probably her biggest pet peeve in the Church. (She doesn't have many.)

I honestly don't get it. Would you rather people just omit the fact that the story they are telling is about one of their ancestors or does everyone need to find non-ancestor pioneer stories to share?

Comment

Working...
                              X