Fantastic and amazing read from the Montana AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic and amazing read from the Montana AD

A must-read for all college football fans.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewt...hp?f=1&t=45683

Wow. Nice find. That email was epic. Has it been confirmed as authentic?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Wow. Nice find. That email was epic. Has it been confirmed as authentic?
      It got a lot of people within FCS circles upset, including the NCAA

http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
        It got a lot of people within FCS circles upset, including the NCAA

http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c002e0.html
        I am sure it has. I doubt they'd want any of those issues and figures brought to light. Shoot I bet Montana State and some of the other FCS schools he speaks about, including the conferences have to be pissed. But he's pretty spot on, especially with regards to what Montana will mean to the conference they join should they move. Interesting that he lumped Texas in with BYU. I am further convinced that the future of college sports will feature more moves to independence.

How messed up is Title IX? I wonder what the impact of that going away would be.

Also, as much as I fantasize about being an AD, they earn their money.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          How messed up is Title IX? I wonder what the impact of that going away would be.
          Title IX is a mess. I had no idea that the percentages required by Title IX were based on the demographic of the student body. It is a wonder that a minor institution doesn't fix the calculus by making it a school unattractive to females. In addition, I recall an article recently (within the last 6 months) which discussed the increase in women at insitutions of higher education. According to that article, women were more common at universities and graduate schools than they were in the population at large. Therefore, won't money spent on women's sports be greater than their proportion of the population? Despite that, no one goes to see women's basketball/volleyball/softball. Maybe if they can get women's beach volleyball going ...

Comment

Very interesting read.

The information about the DIAA playoff is troubling. Although I do not think it applies at all to DIA, I think it is most certainly going to be used by the BCS, the NCAA and BCS schools to stave off a playoff.

I find it curious that Montana's consultants believe they will be the next Boise and not Idaho. What is the population of Missoula? How many are MSU fans? Does Montana have a corner on the market in college football like Boise does? I'm not so sure that Montana is the next Boise. Additionally, where is Boise headed? Without ESPN and a gutted MWC, it seems that Boise may actually be making a step backwards in the future, at least in terms of revenue and exposure.

I did chuckle at the shot about Boise State losing the championship game in 1994.

Overall, this paints a very bleak picture for football at small schools in the western U.S. That saddens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
              Very interesting read.

I find it curious that Montana's consultants believe they will be the next Boise and not Idaho. What is the population of Missoula? How many are MSU fans? Does Montana have a corner on the market in college football like Boise does? I'm not so sure that Montana is the next Boise.
              Montana has a lot of capital as far as respect in the College Football world goes. I mean, even the immortal Ryan Kessman couldn't hack it there.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Montana has a lot of capital as far as respect in the College Football world goes. I mean, even the immortal Ryan Kessman couldn't hack it there.
                They do have a pretty rabid fan base. No clue on the size of it, but they are devoted. I think they will do as well as any in making the switch to D1A (screw you, FBS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I find it curious that Montana's consultants believe they will be the next Boise and not Idaho. What is the population of Missoula? How many are MSU fans? Does Montana have a corner on the market in college football like Boise does?
                  Grizzlies football is huge. I think I posted a picture of the UM football stadium once. It's pretty impressive for FCS. They've won a couple of national titles and have made every playoff since forever.

The Missoula Valley population has exploded in the last fifteen years. The 2010 census is expected to return a population of near 100,000 (80% of whom are sitting in traffic on Reserve Street).

Montana State is two hours away and has a very limited following, consisting exclusively of the students enrolled at Montana State who don't hail from Grizzlies country.

I personally think they're better off staying in Div FCS, where they can continue to dominate, but I can see why they'd want to move up if they can.

Comment

if the email were either fantastic or amazing, i wouldn't have read it. but since it was fantastic AND amazing, here we are.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Additionally, where is Boise headed? Without ESPN and a gutted MWC, it seems that Boise may actually be making a step backwards in the future, at least in terms of revenue and exposure.
                      Boise cannot sustain the success that it is experiencing right now. Its own athletic has admitted that the program is an outlier, and that they absolutely need to generate more revenue to make future success likely.

In all honesty, I think you can boil the success of Boise State down to a few things:

1. The blue turf -- it gives them an advantage at home, even if only psychological, and it gives them something to be "known" for.

2. ESPN

3. Good coaching -- Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, Chris Peterson. Yes, I do believe Koetter and Hawkins are fairly good coaches -- at that level, especially.

Those three things have allowed them to build a terrific program. Without them what are they? They're Idaho. It will be interesting to see what happens now with ESPN out of the picture.
                      Last edited by Bjorn Turoque; 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

His view of a playoff system vs. bowls is very interesting. I've been one that has sometimes wondered why FBS can't just mirror the system of the lower divisions.

It's insightful to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side - especially when you consider how the DI basketball tournament has basically destroyed the commercial value of the basketball regular season compared to football.

The BCS is patently unfair. But, bowls themslves really aren't so bad...

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn Turoque View Post
                          Boise cannot sustain the success that it is experiencing right now. Its own athletic has admitted that the program is an outlier, and that they absolutely need to generate more revenue to make future success likely.

In all honesty, I think you can boil the future of Boise State down to a few things:

1. The blue turf -- it gives them an advantage at home, even if only psychological, and it gives them something to be "known" for.

2. ESPN

3. Good coaching -- Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, Chris Peterson. Yes, I do believe Koetter and Hawkins are fairly good coaches -- at that level, especially.

Those three things have allowed them to build a terrific program. Without them what are they? They're Idaho. It will be interesting to see what happens now with ESPN out of the picture.
                          I don't think they are as succesful without the ESPN deal and the coaching by any means, but I also don't think they are Idaho.

Boise has made a concerted, institutional push to build it's university on the back of football success. Football is literally leading the way at Boise.

Idaho is and was already a much better academic school. They simply haven't put the resources into football.

Boise's putting nearly all of it's effort and resources into football hoping that it will be a catalyst to improving the overall institution.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn Turoque View Post

In all honesty, I think you can boil the future of Boise State down to a few things:

2. ESPN

I think they are mostly known for winning. They win. They beat the shitty teams they play. They beat the good teams they play. It is a pretty simple way to get discovered - winning.

I don't know about if, who, what or when it will all come crashing down but there are clearly some challenges BSU faces to maintaining its high level of play but I think as long as Chris Petereson is there they are likely to do what they have done pretty much every week since he became HC: win. Win on blue turf with their huge psychological advantages and win on green turf without their huge advantages. I think their real secret is they have figured out that it is better to have more points under BSU on the scoreboard than the opponent has under its name.

If I am not clear I think the reason BSU gets attention is because they win football games....alot of them.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by shoganai View Post
                              His view of a playoff system vs. bowls is very interesting. I've been one that has sometimes wondered why FBS can't just mirror the system of the lower divisions.

It's insightful to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side - especially when you consider how the DI basketball tournament has basically destroyed the commercial value of the basketball regular season compared to football.

The BCS is patently unfair. But, bowls themslves really aren't so bad...
                              The fact that they lost money isn't because they have a playoff - it's because relatively few people care about the lower tier playoffs or, frankly, the teams. The grass is still greener with a playoff in my opinion.

What has destroyed the commercial value of the basketball regular season are conference tournaments. If conferences sent the conference season winner to the tourney it would make the BB regular season much more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X