Chambers should have been a DB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chambers should have been a DB

Asked if he saw something he can add, he said, "yeah, There are not playmakers. I want to step up, and make the play. I want to be the guy that leads the team. There were no leaders, so I am going to go out, full-speed, and hurt somebody."
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/b...mbers.html.csp

I've thought this for a long time. Chambers loves contact. I can't say how his coverage skills would be, but for how much he loves to hit he should be playing defense.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

I think he has the hands for it.

Comment

Agreed
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
        http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/b...mbers.html.csp

I've thought this for a long time. Chambers loves contact. I can't say how his coverage skills would be, but for how much he loves to hit he should be playing defense.
        I disagree for the simple reason that he's not fast enough. He definitely couldn't compete at corner and even for a safety his speed is subpar.

Even though WR tends to be the fastest position, there are ways to get open and make plays even if you're not the fastest guy on the field.

But as a DB if you don't have the speed to recover from a small miscalculation it's probably going to cost your team every single week.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

I think he's fast enough to play safety, but probably not CB. He's also probably not agile enough to play CB. However I do think he'd have potential at safety. Rich isn't a very fast safety and is more than adequate. Chambers defintely has the mentality of a defender though. His love of physical play has caused some of his fumbling issues.
          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
            I think he's fast enough to play safety, but probably not CB. He's also probably not agile enough to play CB. However I do think he'd have potential at safety. Rich isn't a very fast safety and is more than adequate. Chambers defintely has the mentality of a defender though. His love of physical play has caused some of his fumbling issues.
            I think it is a waste to have Chambers, Hafoka and Ashworth all at wr. All of BYU's attrition the past few years has been on the defensive side of the ball. As has been mentioned, Bronco should be more forceful about encouraging players to play positions for the good of the team.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              I think it is a waste to have Chambers, Hafoka and Ashworth all at wr. All of BYU's attrition the past few years has been on the defensive side of the ball. As has been mentioned, Bronco should be more forceful about encouraging players to play positions for the good of the team.
              I agree. Yesterday on the radio Jan was talking about the TE situation this year. If at least two of the TE's aren't moved to the defense next year, there is something very wrong.
              —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                I disagree for the simple reason that he's not fast enough. He definitely couldn't compete at corner and even for a safety his speed is subpar.

Even though WR tends to be the fastest position, there are ways to get open and make plays even if you're not the fastest guy on the field.

But as a DB if you don't have the speed to recover from a small miscalculation it's probably going to cost your team every single week.
                Small semantic disagreement. OC is not quick enough, he likely is one of the fastest guys on the team, but he is not nearly as quick as JJ, Logan or other smaller guys. DB is rarely about straight line speed. The best ones are those who can recover quickly and adjust to the receives movements instantaneously. The same is also true of a good guard in basketball. I don't know what Jimmer's 40 time would be but I'm guessing average at best. However, he has a great first step. Jackson Emery is both quick and fast which is why he is a great defender and a good on open court fast-break situations.

Comment

Watch this highlight video, its pretty crappy quality but CHambers is number 11. He makes some nice plays as a safety.

[YOUTUBE]zOZSBxyB6bk[/YOUTUBE]
                  *Banned*

Comment

Chambers has a WR body type tall and lanky, but I agree with the general sentiment that we have talent imbalance on O vs D.

Comment

I thought the BCS AQ conference schools that offered Chambers wanted him as a safety. I think he has very good safety speed and has shown the ability to fill out. He easily could have been an OLB (isn't his size very similar to Pendleton's pre-Hulk size). I really think our coaches have recruited in a balanced manner but they need to be willing to change positions of players when we lose other players. When a safety leaves the team, no problem. When two safeties leave the team, the offense needs to provide a player from that class to balance the attrition. When lots of defensive players leave and no offensive players leave, the Head Coach needs to find a new DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        Small semantic disagreement. OC is not quick enough, he likely is one of the fastest guys on the team, but he is not nearly as quick as JJ, Logan or other smaller guys. DB is rarely about straight line speed. The best ones are those who can recover quickly and adjust to the receives movements instantaneously. The same is also true of a good guard in basketball. I don't know what Jimmer's 40 time would be but I'm guessing average at best. However, he has a great first step. Jackson Emery is both quick and fast which is why he is a great defender and a good on open court fast-break situations.
                        Good observations on quickness - but I'm fairly certain you're wrong about OC being one of the fastest guys on the team. I've heard pretty reliably that OC's 40 speed in in the high 4.6 low 4.7 range. That wouldn't get him into the fastest tier on the team. And he looks slow/average in the open field.
                        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                        X