Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible: Student commits suicide after video of him making out with a guy leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible: Student commits suicide after video of him making out with a guy leaked

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...LoZ3VPJNyk8spO

A Rutgers University freshman who had his privacy violated after two classmates allegedly filmed him during a "sexual encounter" and posted it on the Internet committed suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge, authorities said.

Tyler Clementi, 18, of Ridgewood, NJ, is believed to have jumped from the bridge last Wednesday night after learning that the images of him with a man had been streamed live on the Internet, authorities said today.

Clementi had shockingly posted the message, at 8:50 P.M., "jumping off the gw bridge sorry," on his Facebook page last week, according to a student who knew him.

I hope whoever filmed and posted the video is charged with something. I don't think it should be manslaughter but I do hope it is a felony. Maybe it will make other idiots and perverts think twice in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I hope whoever filmed and posted the video is charged with something. I don't think it should be manslaughter but I do hope it is a felony. Maybe it will make other idiots and perverts think twice in the future.
      But is this a felony? I'm not trying to downplay this, because the result was terrible, but is this truly against the law? I don't know, cause I am no attorney.
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
        But is this a felony? I'm not trying to downplay this, because the result was terrible, but is this truly against the law? I don't know, cause I am no attorney.
        That is my question as well. My fear is it isn't. Perhaps I'm wanting too much justice because the outcome is so tragic and so easily avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
          If the recording was made in public, I can't see it being against the law. In some states it would be against the laws without consent of all parties, but only if the video also has audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            If the recording was made in public, I can't see it being against the law. In some states it would be against the laws without consent of all parties, but only if the video also has audio.
            From what I'm reading, they put a camera in his dorm room.
            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...LoZ3VPJNyk8spO

A Rutgers University freshman who had his privacy violated after two classmates allegedly filmed him during a "sexual encounter" and posted it on the Internet committed suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge, authorities said.

Tyler Clementi, 18, of Ridgewood, NJ, is believed to have jumped from the bridge last Wednesday night after learning that the images of him with a man had been streamed live on the Internet, authorities said today.

Clementi had shockingly posted the message, at 8:50 P.M., "jumping off the gw bridge sorry," on his Facebook page last week, according to a student who knew him.

I'm going to say the obvious thing. Do people think the kids who posted this video bare any responsibility here? Why or why not?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post

I'm going to say the obvious thing. Do people think the kids who posted this video bare any responsibility here? Why or why not?
                bare? nice slip.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  From what I'm reading, they put a camera in his dorm room.
                  My understanding is that the guy recording it was the decedent's roommate and he activated a web cam on his own computer that was in the room they both shared.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    My understanding is that the guy recording it was the decedent's roommate and he activated a web cam on his own computer that was in the room they both shared.
                    Ugh. What a nightmare scenario all around.
                    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Yes, because (big assumption here) they exposed to the public private, intimate information about Mr. Clementi, an act that Mr. Clementi found unbearable.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

This whole thing makes my blood boil.

It's hard to make a decent judgement here because Clementi took his own life. So, IMO, it was his decision, not the a-holes who set him up. I think that's the most reasonable way to look at it. How do you penalize someone for killing someone when they didn't actually kill them?

I do believe that those responsible should be subject to a very, very harsh sentence, but in this situation, how harsh can it really be? They didn't harm him physically. They humiliated him (in a way that can hardly even begin to fathom), but in this Country, what defense is there for humiliation?
                        "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                        -John Heisman

Comment

If convicted, both could face up to five years in prison.
                          Good.
                          "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                          -John Heisman

Comment

I am not supporting the filming or the invasion of the privacy of Clementi but these are college freshmen. Is it too much of an assumption that they may have been clueless that the film would have had this much of an impact on Clementi? Could it have been a prank that went horribly wrong? Maybe it was a malicious act from the beginning. I am not standing up for those kids but imagine the guilt and suffering that they are feeling in the aftermath.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              I am not supporting the filming or the invasion of the privacy of Clementi but these are college freshmen. Is it too much of an assumption that they may have been clueless that the film would have had this much of an impact on Clementi? Could it have been a prank that went horribly wrong? Maybe it was a malicious act from the beginning. I am not standing up for those kids but imagine the guilt and suffering that they are feeling in the aftermath.
                              I'm sorry, but it is hard for me to show any sympathy to these two kids. This was not some normal prank.. We are talking about intimate actions between two people that possibly Clementi did not accept to be revealed to the world (His actions lead me in this direction..)... There is a BIG difference in taking a photo of your roommate on the can vs. secretly making a video of him with his partner.. It is much more insidious and hurtful then minimal embarrassment..

They should pay dearly for this.. Nothing imo.. Can justify their actions...

Comment

Working...
                              X