Bathroom tub re-model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom tub re-model

So.. Last night I began the remodel of our bathroom shower/tub. I removed the old fake wall tile and the old gold fixtures. I have the tub positioned to be removed, but need the tool to unscrew the tub drain. Once that is done I will take it out and begin the process of framing in for the new jacuzzi tub I purchased. It is a set in tub so I plan to frame and tile around where the tub will sit and all the way up the walls..

This is my 1st time venturing into this area of work.. I have removed toilets, put in new sinks and faucets, pipes, etc.. Should be fun...

Post pics along the way.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Be sure to document the process with before (too late?) during, and after pics. I am disappointed that I didn't do this with my master bathroom tiling project. I did before pics of my guest bathroom tiling project, but I need to get around to taking an after pic and posting them.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Be sure to document the process with before (too late?) during, and after pics. I am disappointed that I didn't do this with my master bathroom tiling project. I did before pics of my guest bathroom tiling project, but I need to get around to taking an after pic and posting them.
        How hard was doing your own tile work? I am insecure about my ability to do anything handy, so I never even try. My fear is to make a mistake, so I don't even try. How stupid is that?

I want to tile my own kitchen/dining room, but my lack in confidence keeps me from even looking into it.

I could probably save 2k if I do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
          How hard was doing your own tile work? I am insecure about my ability to do anything handy, so I never even try. My fear is to make a mistake, so I don't even try. How stupid is that?

I want to tile my own kitchen/dining room, but my lack in confidence keeps me from even looking into it.

Tile is something anyone can do. It is really simple. I am positive you can do it and it would look great.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Tile is something anyone can do. It is really simple. I am positive you can do it and it would look great.
            I probably could. I worry about it not being level...and then there is the matter of griding down the concrete and making it level.

You and FN need to make a weekend road trip out to Bako. I would BBQ for you...

Comment

I probably could. I worry about it not being level...and then there is the matter of griding down the concrete and making it level.

You and FN need to make a weekend road trip out to Bako. I would BBQ for you...
              usually low spots are filled to level as opposed to high spots ground down. At least within my experience.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Look nancy, I have told you we could do it and I could help. I have friends who do it for a living and could loan us the tools, etc... When have I ever steered you wrong?

Plus, not my house, so if we screw it up, no big deal!
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  Plus, not my house, so if we screw it up, no big deal!
                  Exactly...that is why I am so hesitant to do it myself. It is my house.

Comment

Exactly...that is why I am so hesitant to do it myself. It is my house.
                    Tile work is pretty easy and very satisfying. The three most important things, from my POV, are 1) make sure the surface is level and clean 2) check again to make sure the surface is level and clean 3) go slowly, with lots and lots of planning. (Lay out as much of it as you can before you put adhesive down; especially in areas where you will need to make odd cuts that will be seen) If you do these three things, you will be fine.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Here are some photos as I am in the process of removing the tub......
                      Attached Files

Comment

I guess I should of chronicled the work I have been doing since we got the house. All new toilets, new flooring int he 1st floor (Bamboo Laminate flooring). Re-do of the Kitchen counter tops.. Major work on the yard..

Thsi weekend, we began the process of painting the Kitchen and formal living room.. Will be done later this week.. The Tub-remodel was put on hold at the moment.. Top priority was the railing on the stairways. I don't have one. The former owner must of removed it because when we bought all that was up was 2 2X4's as a post and a long piece of wood that was considered the rail.. I will be working on this this week as well.. This goes for both the upstairs rail and downstairs rail. New posts and railing along banisters..

Comment

So here are some photos of the new Stairs Rails. I think they turned out good. We still have to more layers of Lacquer to put on..

Now for the Tub remodel. I ripped out everything to the studs and built a frame for the new jacquzzi tub to sit on. I went ahead and also built a custom shelve (Small but all we really need.) before the tile was put in. A buddy of mine helped install the tile. We found some sweet looking tiles that were 20 X 20 and look just like Marble (bigger than normal for a show wall but we wanted to be different.). We also went with a glass block to add a design into the new surround wall and decided to put the glass block on the ceiling as well as the front of the frame as a transition from the floor tile. It was different and a little risky (for us) but I think it turned out sweet!! I love the design we created as well..

Here are some photos of the tub and stairways..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For some reason my camera decided to make these ones look yellow (I took them at night.)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Good work dabrock. Hopefully your work will inspire the Tick to do some of his own tiling
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

The ceiling is funky cool in the bathroom. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                              X