Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rather trivial question for docs regarding Romney's injury...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rather trivial question for docs regarding Romney's injury...

I read the press release, and it said he was having surgery to repair torn ACL & LCL. How likely is it that he tore the MCL as well? The little known fact being that the MCL usually repairs itself (my wife completely tore her ACL & MCL, and they only touched the MCL to clean up a little scar tissue that had formed in the 6 weeks between injury and surgery. By then, the MCL had knitted back together and required only some touch-up to ensure a speedy recovery.). ACLs & LCLs, on the other hand, don't have enough blood-supply to repair themselves.

I'm assuming he probably tore all three. Is that a bad assumption?

Originally posted by statman View Post
    I read the press release, and it said he was having surgery to repair torn ACL & LCL. How likely is it that he tore the MCL as well? The little known fact being that the MCL usually repairs itself (my wife completely tore her ACL & MCL, and they only touched the MCL to clean up a little scar tissue that had formed in the 6 weeks between injury and surgery. By then, the MCL had knitted back together and required only some touch-up to ensure a speedy recovery.). ACLs & LCLs, on the other hand, don't have enough blood-supply to repair themselves.

This one's for hostile, but I'd be surprised if he tore the ACL and LCL--that's an odd combo. Much morelikely to be the ACL/MCL.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      This one's for hostile, but I'd be surprised if he tore the ACL and LCL--that's an odd combo. Much morelikely to be the ACL/MCL.
      This is where I read it: http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14424

They specifically mention ACL & LCL as both requiring surgery. We agree that ACL & LCL is a strange combo - the MCL is between them - and from what I understand is usually the first one of the three to go. If the ACL & LCL are both torn, dollars to donuts the MCL is as well...

Comment

given the mechanism of injury, MCL-ACL would be more likely. an LCL would require at least some vargus force
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          given the mechanism of injury, MCL-ACL would be more likely. an LCL would require at least some vargus force
          I know you're not, but it sounds like oyu are making that up just to impress us.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I know you're not, but it sounds like oyu are making that up just to impress us.
            I am not making it up, but maybe I am trying to impress you just a little
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Looking at the video, I don't get how the LCL tore. Maybe that is why I'm not an orthopod
              "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

I've watched the video and at first glance it appears that the direction of force is from the lateral (outside) aspect of the leg/knee which would result in a valgus (you almost got it JIC) force through the knee joint.

This typically results in an injury to the MCL, and if there is enough force can rupture the ACL.

Closer inspection looks like the leg/knee is hit from the back and side of the leg with a planted foot. This could drive the tibia forward in relation to the femur and rupture the ACL. Once ruptured, the tibia likely continued to rotate internally on the medial (inside) aspect of the femur and damaged the LCL. Given that mechanism, I would not be surprised if he has also injured the posterolateral corner of the knee.

ACL injuries really don't heal due to the poor blood supply and intraarticular fluid around the torn tendon ends. LCL injuries tend to not heal as well as MCL's. If severe enough, they are treated with surgery.

This really sucks for Fuga. I hope he can make it back.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  Yeah, he had me until he threw in that "vargus force" stuff.

Who talks like that? I'm a simpleton. Talk down to me.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    Yeah, he had me until he threw in that "vargus force" stuff.

Who talks like that?
                    Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    I've watched the video and at first glance it appears that the direction of force is from the lateral (outside) aspect of the leg/knee which would result in a valgus (you almost got it JIC) force through the knee joint.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

This typically results in an injury to the MCL, and if there is enough force can rupture the ACL.

Closer inspection looks like the leg/knee is hit from the back and side of the leg with a planted foot. This could drive the tibia forward in relation to the femur and rupture the ACL. Once ruptured, the tibia likely continued to rotate internally on the medial (inside) aspect of the femur and damaged the LCL. Given that mechanism, I would not be surprised if he has also injured the posterolateral corner of the knee.

ACL injuries really don't heal due to the poor blood supply and intraarticular fluid around the torn tendon ends. LCL injuries tend to not heal as well as MCL's. If severe enough, they are treated with surgery.

So you think it's all three?

Comment

So you think it's all three?
                        It is possible, but rare, to injure just the ACL and LCL. It looked to me, from the video, that the ground stopped the knee from traveling further and may have prevented and MCL injury. He may have a minor MCL injury, but that won't be the determining factor in his treatment and recovery.
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Poor kid. That has to hurt like hell.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Go watch the video again, guys. He was hit from the left but he injured the right knee. The left knee, the one that appears to have sustained the impact, looks to be totally fine. In the youtube videos in the other thread, his right knee was being tended to and while walking off the field he was favoring the right leg.

It was a varus force injury, with a posterior/lateral impact. It would be consistent with an LCL and ACL injury. I think the reports of the torn ligaments are correct and it is likely that that MCL was spared, fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Go watch the video again, guys. He was hit from the left but he injured the right knee. The left knee, the one that appears to have sustained the impact, looks to be totally fine. In the youtube videos in the other thread, his right knee was being tended to and while walking off the field he was favoring the right leg.

It was a varus force injury, with a posterior/lateral impact. It would be consistent with an LCL and ACL injury. I think the reports of the torn ligaments are correct and it is likely that that MCL was spared, fwiw.
                              good point. i didn't even pay attention to which leg was mentioned as the injured one - i assumed it was the left. Looking at the video, how could the L knee not be injured? If the R knee is injured then the mechanism fits with an ACL/LCL injury and varus force to the R knee.

EDIT: It also looks like he has a brace on the L knee, but not on the R.
                              Last edited by hostile; 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X