• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah-San Jose State

Next up on the cupcake parade.

Utah Defense vs. SJSU Offense

Utah's D-Line vs SJSU O-Line

SJSU returned 3 starters from last year, junior left tackle Fred Koloto (6-3, 290), senior left guard Isaac Leatiota (6-4, 305) and senior center Robbie Reed (6-3, 290). The line has struggled to convert from a spread offense to a run oriented attack. They have averaged only 67 yds/game. Utah has given up 84.3 yds/game. This will be another mismatch.

Advantage Utah

Utah's LB's vs SJSU RB's

Brandon Rutley is the rushing leader with 43.3/gm average. Lamon Muldrow was thought to be the best returning runner but has been outplayed by Rutley. Utah's LB's continue to play without JJ Williams who is still out with a foot injury. The unheralded group of Manis, Martinez, and Walker continue to top the tackling stats for the team, benefitting from the lack of the opposing O-lines being able to body up on them. Look for more of the same here.

Advantage Utah

Utah's secondary vs. SJSU's QB/WR

Jordan La Secla has performed decently, completing 62% of his passes, but the diminished role of the passing game in their attack has limited his stats to a 168.7 yard average. Chandler Jones is the leading receiver with 20-170 followed by Noel Grigsby with 13-168. La Secla had a good game against the Utes last year, which was buoyed by multiple Pass interference calls. However, Utah's secondary is much improved from a year ago. Burton has played at an all-conference level, Blechen has continued his strong start. Chapman will likely be the targeted again, but mostly due to the lack of confidence that opposing QB's have in throwing in the direction of Burton.

Advantage Utah

Utah's Offense vs San Jose's Defense

Utah's O-Line vs SJSU's D-Line

Pablo Garcia is the lone returning starter and best DL for the Spartans. He had 4 sack last year and has 0.5 so far this year. Freshman Vince Buhagiar was moved to DE(from TE) and has provided a spark. Utah's Line should be back at full strength with the return of Zane Taylor. They look to improve on their rushing attack from last week.

Advantage Utah

Utah's RB's vs SJSU's LB's

Tiuke Tuipulotu and Keith Smith are the top performers for the Spartans out of the linebackers. Utah's 1-2 of Wide and Asiata have been solid, but the Utes are waiting for a dominating performance from this crew and it has not materialized yet. I don't think this is the week either. Utah has more talent, but look for around 100-120 yards again.

Advantage Utah.

Utah's QB/WR's vs. SJSU's Secondary

Wynn is likely to start as he has practiced all week. If not, Cain has proven a good security blanket. The WR's had an excellent game last week, with Brooks again lead the way with 6-99. The touches were spread fairly well with 7 players getting a reception. The Spartans secondary has given up 260 yds a game with SUU even putting up 255 against them last week. Cornerbacks Alex Germany and Peyton Thompson are the top performers in the defensive back field. Expect Utah to abuse the Spartans through the air this week

Advantage Utah

Intangibles

Utah is still struggling with putting the ball on the ground. Less than stellar opposition has not been able to make them pay. Ball security was a top priority in practicethis week, we will see if the extra emphasis paid off. The Special teams for the Utes finally seems to have worked out all of the bugs. Penalties were down, but seemed to have occured at poor times. Home field sways this category.

Advantage Utah

Final Analysis

On paper, this is another mismatch and Vegas agrees, making the Utes a 30 1/2 point favorite. That is a big number, but look for the Utes to cover against the anemic Spartans( 11 ppg).

Utah 48 SJSU 10
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

I can't muster up any enthusiasm for this game. Utah could win 52-3 and I'd wonder why we gave up a FG.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      I can't muster up any enthusiasm for this game. Utah could win 52-3 and I'd wonder why we gave up a FG.
      Ha!

The only thing I really care about is Wynn getting a little more experience before we have to travel to Iowa State. Only thing that matters IMO.
      Last edited by Coastal Ute; 09-23-2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: Not broken.
      "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
      -John Heisman

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
        Ha!

The only thing I really care about is Wynn getting broken in a little more before we have to travel to Iowa State. Only thing that matters IMO.
        Let's not use the words "Wynn" and "broken" in the same sentence.

The guy seems pretty injury prone.

Let's not tempt fate.
        Last edited by Portland Ute; 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
          Let's not use the words "Wynn" and "broken" in the same sentence.

The guy seems pretty injury prone.

Lets' not tempt fate.
          You're right. I noticed that. Let me fix that.
          "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
          -John Heisman

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
            Ha!

The only thing I really care about is Wynn getting a little more experience before we have to travel to Iowa State. Only thing that matters IMO.
            Forget Wynn. I want me some Robles!

Comment

Anyone hear the San Jose St. beat writer on the radio this morning?

PK says to him "what San Jose st. team will show up the one that hung with Wisconsin or the one that needed a miracle to beat Southern Utah?"

He responds by saying do not sell SUU short they are a darn good football team and he would not be surprised if they won the 1-AA championship, he also said that SJSU is a very good team and they are going to hang with Utah.

It was really hard to take him serious.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Anyone hear the San Jose St. beat writer on the radio this morning?

PK says to him "what San Jose st. team will show up the one that hung with Wisconsin or the one that needed a miracle to beat Southern Utah?"

He responds by saying do not sell SUU short they are a darn good football team and he would not be surprised if they won the 1-AA championship, he also said that SJSU is a very good team and they are going to hang with Utah.

It was really hard to take him serious.
                Did sound like he was laughing or crying after he said it?

We like our little 1aa team here in Cedar, but it will be a Cinderella story if we make the playoffs.

My ADR6300 doesn't even acknowledge SJSU
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

That's quite a schedule for SJSU @Alabama, @Wisconsin @Utah and an in-conference game vs. Boise St.
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    He responds by saying do not sell SUU short they are a darn good football team and he would not be surprised if they won the 1-AA championship, .
                    SUU is pretty good. I'm pretty sure they would take 2nd in the Cedar City area (those redmen are tough).
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

No TV? The Mtn West is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                        That's quite a schedule for SJSU @Alabama, @Wisconsin @Utah and an in-conference game vs. Boise St.
                        Well, it looks like SJSU is making a lot of money at least.

-John Heisman

Comment

So we are just hitting the road for the game. Go Utes!!!!!

My ADR6300 doesn't even acknowledge SJSU

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Frank Dolce highlights 3 minutes into the game:

-There might be a QB controversy.
                            -Other than Nevada, I haven't seen anyone use the pistol formation.

"Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Reggie Dunn! 7-0 Utes.

Comment

Working...
                              X