X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockbuster Video is filing for bankruptcy

Crazy.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/newsb...les_bankruptcy

Now where am I going to rent movies for my Betamax?
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

The writing's on the wall. Brick and mortar movie rental is thing of the past. Their cost structure was too high.

Comment

Hasn't this been rumored for years?

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
        Now where am I going to rent movies for my Betamax?
        It's chapter 11, not 7 isn't it?

Comment

I saw a blockbuster rental box at a gas station in provo. Just like a redbox but blue! What a crazy idea. First they were 3 years late to take on netflix, now 3 years late for redbox. Things are going well for BB.

Comment

http://www.theonion.com/video/histor...f-how-m,14233/

When I get to the Blockbuster are they going to have your video? Did someone else rent it? Is there going to be a line? Will alarms sound when you walk out the front door?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
              I saw a blockbuster rental box at a gas station in provo. Just like a redbox but blue! What a crazy idea. First they were 3 years late to take on netflix, now 3 years late for redbox. Things are going well for BB.
              I remember when netflix came out, Blockbuster tried some type of "late fees but no late fees" thing where they would charge you then forgive the fee when you returned the film. It was too confusing and I quit going.

BTW, I don't really know the difference between ch.11 and ch.7. All I know is that Blockbuster is hosed. And that's too bad. I used to love seeing the college couples in the store, the girl looking for that perfect romantic comedy, the guy just wanting to get back to the apt. and get the lights turned out.
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

I remember when netflix came out, Blockbuster tried some type of "late fees but no late fees" thing where they would charge you then forgive the fee when you returned the film. It was too confusing and I quit going.

BTW, I don't really know the difference between ch.11 and ch.7. All I know is that Blockbuster is hosed. And that's too bad. I used to love seeing the college couples in the store, the girl looking for that perfect romantic comedy, the guy just wanting to get back to the apt. and get the lights turned out.
                Chapter 11 is re-org
                Chapter 7 is liquidation

IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  Chapter 11 is re-org
                  Chapter 7 is liquidation

IIRC
                  So there's a chance I can keep the Betamax rolling!

Comment

They are closing ~2000 of ~3000 stores as part of the re-org.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      They are closing ~2000 of ~3000 stores as part of the re-org.
                      all i need is a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                        Ha. I saw one yesterday afternoon and thought the same thing.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I'm bummed about this. I've been wanting a blockbuster to move into a specific location near my house for years now. Redbox is nice, but not ideal. Netflix takes too long when I want it now.

There used to be a place near my house called Video HQ. It was the best of both worlds. It was the size of a blockbuster and had the same selection of movies, but it had the price structure of redbox. Everything was $1 per night. Blu-ray was $1.50. It was awesome. But apparently I was the only one that thought so, because it's out of business now.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            Ha. I saw one yesterday afternoon and thought the same thing.
                            There's a competitor to redbox in california - I think it's called DVDRentalBox or something stupid like that. Their kiosks look exactly like Redboxes. My wife rented one for the drive back to Utah this summer, and she returned it to a redbox without really looking too hard at the label.

We had to call a few times to straighten it all out, but it seemed like a common problem at the company. Redbox should get these guys' ass in a sling.

Comment

There's a competitor to redbox in california - I think it's called DVDRentalBox or something stupid like that. Their kiosks look exactly like Redboxes. My wife rented one for the drive back to Utah this summer, and she returned it to a redbox without really looking too hard at the label.

We had to call a few times to straighten it all out, but it seemed like a common problem at the company. Redbox should get these guys' ass in a sling.
                              Yes they should. The blockbuster one that I saw was about the same size as the RedBox machines but was very blue and had blockbuster logo's all over it.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X