Spring Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Football

Spring Footbal is only a couple weeks away for BYU and Utah.

I know we're getting ready to celebrate the madness that is March, and I'm down with that, as to me, there's no better sporting event in the country.

However, I'm bored and would love to see some discussion on what are the big stories for Spring for both programs. Yes, I realize that Spring Football is actually pretty boring, but hey it's always fun to talk football.

BYU STORYLINES

1. The Defense. Will there be any changes? I don't expect a schematic change to a 4-3 that some would like, but I am expecting to see a number of changes within the current scheme that will be designed to pressure the QB.

Within that and the major concern at the Linebacking corps, who will step up? Also the recent news is they've finally made the inevitable switch of Jordan Pendleton to OLB...whicn IMO is long overdue. Should be interesting to see what happens there. I also think Coleby Clawson should be moved inside and I think it's a for sure thing that Scott Johnson is moved to Safety.

2. McKay Jacobsen. I was gonna list this as replacing Austin Collie, and while I know it sounds a little ridiculous to suggest that BYUs offense might be more effective without their all time leading WR, at the same time, I think it will force Max Hall to grow up in his Final Season and will open up the field to give more playmakers a chance to step forward. How far along is McKay after being home for only a few months? How will the WR corps look going into Fall Camp?

3. The Offensive Line. Replacing 4 starters. If there's one area where BYU is deep and talented, it's with this group. I don't see much changing here. Matt Reynolds is the best Returning O-lineman in the MWC. *Cue the Zane Beadles fanclub*.

UTAH STORYLINES

You Ute fans on here will be able to fill this out better than I, but here's my stab at it.

1. Replacing Brian Johnson. The QB race will be heavy and heated between Corbin Louks and Terrence Cain with Louks having an edge obviously because of his couple years in the system backing up BJ. I expect Jordan Wynn to redshirt and will be surprised if Devonte Christopher is still at the QB position come opening kickoff.

2. The battle at Corners to replace Sean Smith & Brice McCain. I know there's a few athletic positions to pick and Utah has signed a number of JC kids the last few years at DB. My guess is RJ Stanford gets the nod at one position, but I could be wrong. I really don't know.

3. I'm not going to say replacing Paul Kruger is as massive of an assignment as most suggest. Again, I know maybe kind of a crazy opinion ala my Collie opinion, but with all the guys they've signed at D-line the past few years, I don't know if it's going to be that big of a deal replacing him.

4. Replacing Captain Clutch...aka...Louie Sakoda. He was a huge weapon in your arsenal last year. Making clutch kicks and always seeming to get that perfect punt pinning the opponent inside the 20 when it was needed.

5. All the coaching changes and switches. That might be the biggest story of the off-season for them alongside the new starting QB. How will the players and new coaches mesh with each other?

What are you thoughts and opinions on both schools?

Also, who do you think will be the "breakout players" of each camp?

For BYU here are mine: Terrance Brown...he started as a True Freshman on the O-line and redshirted last year back from his mission.

Braden Brown....Another in the next Tight End line...yeah...he'll be 3rd string this year behind Pitta and George, but when those 2 leave BYU won't miss a beat with this kid. Plus with Pitta's knee I won't be surprised to see him get a bulk of the work during Spring

Malosi Te'o...I've heard he's made quite the impression in the few months he's been home.

For Utah......I have no idea....help me out here U fans.

Mo Neal? I know KWhit has been huge on him since his arrival, but injuries set him back some last year.
    Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-03-2009, 09:31 AM.

For BYU I say the following:

1. With the 2 JC corners they signed as well as the signing of Craig Bills and the return of Howard, Bradley, Rich, Johnson, Te'o, and Nicholson can they find 4 competent players to start in the secondary? My predictions are Bradley and Aguirre at corner and Rich and Te'o at safety.

2. Linebackers, who is going to push Matt Bauman and Shawn Doman for the starting ILB jobs. Will it be Hooks? Atkinson? Ah You? A newcomer?

3. Receivers, I think a corp of Jacobsen, Chambers, Ashworth, Hafoka, Matthews, Pitta, George, Friel, Brown, Hoffman and Thompson is capable of giving us 4-5 solid players.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      2. Linebackers, who is going to push Matt Bauman and Shawn Doman for the starting ILB jobs. Will it be Hooks? Atkinson? Ah You? A newcomer?
      I am not kidding - when I read that post about Bauman and Doman starting another year at ILB, I became a little nauseated.

Yikes.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        For BYU I say the following:

1. With the 2 JC corners they signed as well as the signing of Craig Bills and the return of Howard, Bradley, Rich, Johnson, Te'o, and Nicholson can they find 4 competent players to start in the secondary? My predictions are Bradley and Aguirre at corner and Rich and Te'o at safety.

3. Receivers, I think a corp of Jacobsen, Chambers, Ashworth, Hafoka, Matthews, Pitta, George, Friel, Brown, Hoffman and Thompson is capable of giving us 4-5 solid players.
        I've heard the coaches are very high on both Cody Hoffman and Brett Thompson and that they really feel they've found a diamond in the rough with Hoffman.

I thought Friel left on a mission. Did he end up not going? Both of the JC Corners won't be here for Spring Ball unfortunately.

Comment

I think WR will be an interesting battle on the Hill.

David Reed is locked in, and Jereme Brooks and Aiona Key are strong bets to catch a lot of passes, but the Utah offense spreads the ball around a lot.

It will be very interesting to see how guys like Luke Matthews, Ryan Lacy, John Peel, Shaky Smithison, and Ray Magee step up and replace Casteel, Godfrey, and Downtown.

But QB is always the position to watch when you lose a senior. It's Louks' job to lose, IMO, but Christopher and even Cain will be able to step right in and challenge him.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Rocky, not a bad summary.

Bear in mind that defense is always Utah's heart and soul. Even in 2004 it was hugely underrated as the key to Utah's success. Absent Whit's defense in 2004 Utah would have been just another high flying soft mid-major like BYU or Tulsa last year. Now even Meyer's teams are as much or more known for their defense as their offenses. I think he learned a few things from Whit.

Despite the losses of Kruger and Smith, with still a large number returning and some key depth and recruits who can step in, this coming season could be Utah's most dominant ever on defense.

Yes, quarterback is critical. But if Utah continues to refine and deepen the defense they will always win a lot of games.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
              I've heard the coaches are very high on both Cody Hoffman and Brett Thompson and that they really feel they've found a diamond in the rough with Hoffman.

I thought Friel left on a mission. Did he end up not going? Both of the JC Corners won't be here for Spring Ball unfortunately.
              so Hoffman was a steal? We was pretty mercilessly skewered about cb for only being recruited by Sac State. Hope he represents far Northern California well
              Last edited by frank ryan; 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Has Bronco sucked the life out of anyone else as a fan of BYU football?

Maybe I'm alone on this. But I'm just not that jazzed about BYU football right now. With three 10 win seasons in a row and a relatively bright future, there should be no reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Maybe I'm alone on this. But I'm just not that jazzed about BYU football right now. With three 10 win seasons in a row and a relatively bright future, there should be no reason for this.
                  Yes and no. I'm not interested in the firesides, etc., though if that's what works for him and his athletes, great. I like most of the press conferences during the season because he talks about football so I'll watch them when they're replayed on the MTN. (From someone who knows little about what she's talking about...) He's got a great football mind.

I like the games. I can have plenty of conversations about BYU football without worrying about "magic coins" so the fun is still there for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

BYU Football currently is like a Toyota Camry. Solid, reliable, better than most cars on the road. Unfortunately there is nothing exciting or sexy about the Toyota Camry, same thing with Bronco Ball.

Comment

Once Bronco gets sexier defenders, he'll get a sexier defense.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        Bronco has a couple of guys on D he could use to sexy up the D. He just chooses not to.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Damn Indy, do you get a notification anytime I post on any forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            Bronco has a couple of guys on D he could use to sexy up the D. He just chooses not to.
                            It takes more than only a couple of sexy players to sexy up a defense.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

So never. I will stop holding my breath.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X