Slow down, you move too fast McKay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow down, you move too fast McKay

I brought this question up earlier but LA, as is his usual MO, hijacked the thread with slanderous and hurtful remarks about Saint Austin.

Is it just my perception or does McKay not only look slower but is running sloppier routes than he did as a freshman? Perhaps he is just as fast, but has never been a precise route runner and there is now enough tape on him that DBs have him figured out. The third possibility is he faced excellent DBs with UW and FSU and had a QB who couldn't or wouldn't throw the ball at AFA. Maybe the most likely scenario of all is he was expected to fill the shoes of the best receiver in BYU history (IMO) and that was an unrealistic burden to place upon anyone.
    Last edited by creekster; 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM.

I don't know what's going on with him too, but it also seems like he is always falling down or taking a dive before he gets hit.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I brought this question up earlier but LA, as is his usual MO, hijacked the thread with slanderous and hurtful remarks about Saint Austin.

Is it just my perception or does McKay not only look slower but is running sloppier routes than he did as a freshman? Perhaps he is just as fast, but has never been a precise route runner and there is now enough tape on him that DBs have him figured out. The third possibility is he faced excellent DBs with UW and FSU and had a QB who couldn't or wouldn't throw the ball at AFA. Maybe the most likely scenario of all is he was expected to fill the shoes of the best receiver in BYU history (IMO) and that was an unrealistic burden to place upon anyone.
      Part of it might be disappointment/frustration with all the QB and WR rotation leading to lack of effort out on the field.

Comment

Ugh, another missing comma in my title. I hate not being able to edit titles. I blame BO Lebowski.

Comment

I think this is your main problem.

Last year Jacobson averaged 24.2 yards per reception. This year he's averaging 9.8. Maybe he is slower, but I doubt he's that much different than last year.
          "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
          -John Heisman

Comment

There. I added a comma. hope it is what you had in mind.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              There. I added a comma. hope it is what you had in mind.
              thanks Clyde. grrrr

Comment

I wish I hadn't been so prophetic about McKay after one game. I'm not sure if it was a mission, marriage, the loss of Beck and Hall, but I can't recall a player having such marked decline without injury as MJ did this year. Hopefully, he is willing to put in the time with Hoffman, Apo and the quorum of TEs to finish with a strong senior year.

Comment

I wish I hadn't been so prophetic about McKay after one game. I'm not sure if it was a mission, marriage, the loss of Beck and Hall, but I can't recall a player having such marked decline without injury as MJ did this year. Hopefully, he is willing to put in the time with Hoffman, Apo and the quorum of TEs to finish with a strong senior year.
                  Are you saying that MJ wasn't playing hurt this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                    Are you saying that MJ wasn't playing hurt this year?
                    Was he? I was not aware he had suffered any injury. Due to the nature of the beast, I'm sure every player who saw the field more than 60 yard endzone sprints for kickoff coverage (does any other team in the country require its players to all cross the endzone on touchbacks?) has multiples bumps and bruises; most of which would likely make me cry and/or find a Oxy supplier.

Comment

Was he? I was not aware he had suffered any injury. Due to the nature of the beast, I'm sure every player who saw the field more than 60 yard endzone sprints for kickoff coverage (does any other team in the country require its players to all cross the endzone on touchbacks?) has multiples bumps and bruises; most of which would likely make me cry and/or find a Oxy supplier.
                      Is Pussitis a real injury? If so then yes he was playing hurt.
                      *Banned*

Comment

(does any other team in the country require its players to all cross the endzone on touchbacks?)
                        I think I remember USC doing that when they played in Provo.

Comment

For some, the mission is the culprit. For others, a career. But for a growing number of pre-mission virgins, sex appears to be the football-saltpeter.

Sure, I'm assuming he hadn't found and entered the golden palace of the Himalayas yet but based upon that assumption and upon his performance this year, McKay might very well be a 7th level Sex-Mason at this point. This would certainly explain the precipitous dropoff.

I think I'm onto something.

(Cue 'Napper)
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I like him but I've been terribly disappointed in him. He was brilliant as a freshman. I don't know what happened to him on the Mish. I once thought he would be another collie.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              I like him but I've been terribly disappointed in him. He was brilliant as a freshman. I don't know what happened to him on the Mish. I once thought he would be another collie.

While I was pretty sure he wouldn't rise to AC heights, I too was smitten with the pre-mission, virgin MJ.

He made one huge pressure catch on Beck's winning march against Utah in 2006 and had one other catch earlier in the game where it looked like he sought out the Utah player for head-on contact and picked up an extra three yards in the process.

I read a certain amount of moxie into that moment - which is strangely missing from the post-mish persona.

Could it be that all that easy newlywed business time has sapped his competitive drive?
                              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                              X