Help with garbage disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with garbage disposal

My garbage disposal isn't working. For the last few months, when I turn it on it sounds like there's a fork in there, even though there isn't. Then this weekened it just stopped working altogether. When I hit the switch, I just hear a motor sounds, but nothing rotates. It sounds like it wants to move, but maybe something's blocking it? A quick look with my flashlight shows nothing in the way.

Anyway, I've never worked on one of these before (or much else, really). Anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong or how to go about investigating/fixing it? TIA.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Depending on the model and age there might be a little wrench that is in a pouch affixed to the side of the hting. There is also, possibley, alittle nut at the bottom of the disposal unit. Use the wrench to try to turn that nut. Sometimes the disposal freezes up becasue of the crap it is asked to deal with. That nut turns the spindle and can sometimes serve to free it up. At least thta's how mine works.

First, though, I think you shoudl go on line and get a manual for your model and make and see what it suggests. I assume you have already done this?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I know this answer to this one! Or at least something to try. We were having this same problem and invited my very handy neighbor to come look at it when it would not come on at all (just hummed). He immediately took our broom and inserted it handle end first at an angle down into the disposal. He then gently, but firmly, cranked the broom counter clockwise about three times. When he pulled it out it went right back to working. He told is that it is not unusual to get a little piece of bone or something else lodged in there and that cranking it backwards usually dislodges it. We were all ready to buy a new disposal and were amazed that this worked. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        I know this answer to this one! Or at least something to try. We were having this same problem and invited my very handy neighbor to come look at it when it would not come on at all (just hummed). He immediately took our broom and inserted it handle end first at an angle down into the disposal. He then gently, but firmly, cranked the broom counter clockwise about three times. When he pulled it out it went right back to working. He told is that it is not unusual to get a little piece of bone or something else lodged in there and that cranking it backwards usually dislodges it. We were all ready to buy a new disposal and were amazed that this worked. Give it a try.
        This is the same solution but from the top instead of from the bottom. Just in case that wasnt clear.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          This is the same solution but from the top instead of from the bottom. Just in case that wasnt clear.
          I hadn't read your post. I personally like cranking from the top or bottom, either way works.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I hadn't read your post. I personally like cranking from the top or bottom, either way works.
            I have no doubt you do.

If the nut is on the botton, however, I would suggest you start there as opposed to putting unplanned for torque on the blades on top.

Note: my post is satraight and not euphemisitc, unlike UD's effort to bring levity to such a serious topic.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Depending on the model and age there might be a little wrench that is in a pouch affixed to the side of the hting. There is also, possibley, alittle nut at the bottom of the disposal unit. Use the wrench to try to turn that nut. Sometimes the disposal freezes up becasue of the crap it is asked to deal with. That nut turns the spindle and can sometimes serve to free it up. At least thta's how mine works.

First, though, I think you shoudl go on line and get a manual for your model and make and see what it suggests. I assume you have already done this?
              Try this, it often works. With some disposals, you can use an allen wrnech.

There is also a reset button on the bottom of some.

Comment

This site has pictures:
                http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumb...disposal_2.htm
                Basically it says to try what has been described above.

Comment

Wow, cooooool. Thanks fellas. I can't wait to get some work-related use out of my broom handle.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I lost the wrench they sent to me, so I did the broom trick. That loosened it right away. Then I looked down in again with my flash light and discovered a severely mangled penny. At least I think it was a penny.

Everything is back in perfect working order now. Thanks everyone!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies. I lost the wrench they sent to me, so I did the broom trick. That loosened it right away. Then I looked down in again with my flash light and discovered a severely mangled penny. At least I think it was a penny.

Everything is back in perfect working order now. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Glad it worked. This has happened 13 times to DDD and he just hires a plumber and buys a new disposal every time. That is also a way to fix it in the future, then you don't have to dirty your hands.

Comment

When my daughter was 2 she threw a handful of pennies in to the sink and down the disposal. Took me a long time to get them all out, 2 of them became wedged under the blades and I had to take the whole thing apart to get them out. The broom trick did not work.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                          X