The Art of Tackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Tackling

I'm a 'layman' when it comes to football. I only played one year in high school on a very miserable team. I enjoy being a spectator of the game but I don't understand it very well. To my untrained eyes, it appears that BYU defenders struggle to tackle. This is not the first game this season that it has appeared to me that BYU defenders have difficulty tackling. So, to those more expert than myself, I ask you to consider and discuss the following questions:

1. Do BYU defenders really have issues with tackling or is just my perception as an amateur who is disappointed with the outcome of the game that makes me think they do?

2. If they do have issues with tackling, are the issues because the opposing team's athletes are better than BYU's athletes? It is due to poor fundamental technique or not being in the right position on the field? Obviously all of these factors play a role but what do you think is the most prominent factor?

3. Would you consider past BYU teams to be good tackling teams such that this year, assuming there really are issues with tackling, is just an anomaly? Obviously BYU has had some good defenses in the past, as pointed out in another thread, but a good defense, like a bad defense, doesn't necessarily prove good or bad tackling.
    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM. Reason: typos

I am guessing 200 of Florida States 250 yards rushing today came after contact.

BYU has done a very poor job of tackling the past two games. Bad angles and not wrapping up are the biggest reasons why they are struggling. Lots of arm tackles.

Shane Hunter was awful today and missed more tackles than I can count. I really believe a lot of this has to do with Bronco refusing to hit during the season. BYU does not hit at all once they break fall camp. Nobody in the college football world has this same philosophy, Bronco does it to keep guys from getting injured but it is starting to affect performance.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      I really believe a lot of this has to do with Bronco refusing to hit during the season. BYU does not hit at all once they break fall camp. Nobody in the college football world has this same philosophy, Bronco does it to keep guys from getting injured but it is starting to affect performance.
      This is unacceptable, IMO. This question is mostly rhetorical, but does Bronco even like football?
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

I'm kind of intrigued by the Steven Thomas head tackle. I realize it's unorthodox, but I'm thinking he might be on to something.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          I'm kind of intrigued by the Steven Thomas head tackle. I realize it's unorthodox, but I'm thinking he might be on to something.
          dude is lucky he didn't get his neck broken
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            I really believe a lot of this has to do with Bronco refusing to hit during the season.
            I agree. It's such an easy fix too--just let them hit each other!
            Not that, sickos.

Comment

It looks to me like too many guys are going in for the kill shot rather than looking to wrap up. The pursuit also seemed lousy at times, which at least used to be one of the things a Bronco defense prided itself in.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                I agree. It's such an easy fix too--just let them hit each other!
                That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard about a coach doing. The whole platoon QB thing pales in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                  It looks to me like too many guys are going in for the kill shot rather than looking to wrap up. The pursuit also seemed lousy at times, which at least used to be one of the things a Bronco defense prided itself in.
                  It's not really a Bronco defense though. From what I've heard, he's turned everything over to Jaime Hill, the guy who lines up our CBs ten yards off the line of scrimmage.
                  Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                    It's not really a Bronco defense though. From what I've heard, he's turned everything over to Jaime Hill, the guy who lines up our CBs ten yards off the line of scrimmage.
                    I think going for the kill shot is a staple of Bronco defenses at BYU. Everyone used to be in love with Francisco years ago, he would never wrap up.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

There are good and bad ways to make a tackle, of course (things like wrapping up and taking correct angles). But ability to tackle is highly influenced by speed and strength.

In other words, I think a lot of the "bad tackling" is really better explained by inadequate physical tools than by poor fundamentals or poor coaching. Good technique can't come close to making up for inferior speed and strength.
                      Last edited by CardiacCoug; 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Three years ago I thought BYU was a poor tackling ream. The last several years I thought I had noticed a marked improvement - until yesterday.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          I'm a 'layman' when it comes to football. I only played one year in high school on a very miserable team. I enjoy being a spectator of the game but I don't understand it very well. To my untrained eyes, it appears that BYU defenders struggle to tackle. This is not the first game this season that it has appeared to me that BYU defenders have difficulty tackling. So, to those more expert than myself, I ask you to consider and discuss the following questions:

1. Do BYU defenders really have issues with tackling or is just my perception as an amateur who is disappointed with the outcome of the game that makes me think they do?

2. If they do have issues with tackling, are the issues because the opposing team's athletes are better than BYU's athletes? It is due to poor fundamental technique or not being in the right position on the field? Obviously all of these factors play a role but what do you think is the most prominent factor?

3. Would you consider past BYU teams to be good tackling teams such that this year, assuming there really are issues with tackling, is just an anomaly? Obviously BYU has had some good defenses in the past, as pointed out in another thread, but a good defense, like a bad defense, doesn't necessarily prove good or bad tackling.
                          I've rewatched (yes it was painful) much of yesterday's game and I count at least a dozen missed tackles. On film they look like the failure to wrap, hold and drive - i.e. a failure of fundamentals.

This is made most obvious by the fact that one of the smallest guys out there - Brian Logan - almost never misses a tackle, even on much bigger running backs. He gets his arms around something he can hold onto and he doesn't let go.

Meanwhile much bigger guys like Shane Hunter and Austen Jorgensen have been caught out simply failing to wrap.

The other disturbing trend comes from multiple defenders who are taking the wrong angles. Hunter did this at least twice yesterday as did Uale. Thomas did it a few times last week.
                          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Hmm... I saved out a some clips watching the game this morning:

[YOUTUBE]rfRTxeCKJ8A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I66ipFVO4RA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WUBLB0umKnk[/YOUTUBE]
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I think going for the kill shot is a staple of Bronco defenses at BYU. Everyone used to be in love with Francisco years ago, he would never wrap up.
                              You could be right. Like kccougar, I thought they'd gotten much better over the last few years, but this year has been absolutely horrible. Whether it's Bronco, Hill, or youth, it's not a good sign when you need to spend practice working on the fundamentals. It's even worse when you don't hit at practice, so you can't practice those fundamentals.
                              Not that, sickos.

Comment

Working...
                              X