HELP: Need guidance with wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Need guidance with wiring

I am putting in a ceiling fan and the wires coming out of my ceiling are red, White and Black.

My new fan has a white, black (Solid), and black/white wire..

I am not sure how I should connect them. The instructions tell me to connect Black (ungrounded) and the Black/White (ungrounded) from the ceiling fan to the Black one to the ceiling. The white (Grounded) fan one to the white ceiling one..

In all cases it has me leaving the red one alone not connected to anything..

I do not think this is right..

Any help would be much appreciated..

TIA

is there a light kit on the fan?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
      is there a light kit on the fan?
      x2. If you have a light kit with a dimmer switch that's probably for your red wire. If you have no light kit on the ceiling fan just cap it and leave it in the box.

Check this site out. It has some nice wiring diagrams.

http://www.ask-the-electrician.com/ceilingfans.html
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I am not sure what a Light Kit means. My fan comes with a light. It is already connected.. I was trying to run my light through the light switch on the wall, and allow me to turn the fan off from the pull string..

So I connected it with the Black to Black. White to White. Black/White to red..

The fan works but the light does not work at all..

Do I need to connected the black/white with the solid black and just cap the red and leave it unused??

Thanks for all your help..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          I am not sure what a Light Kit means. My fan comes with a light. It is already connected.. I was trying to run my light through the light switch on the wall, and allow me to turn the fan off from the pull string..

So I connected it with the Black to Black. White to White. Black/White to red..

The fan works but the light does not work at all..

Do I need to connected the black/white with the solid black and just cap the red and leave it unused??

Thanks for all your help..
          Light kit simply is referring to the lights on the ceiling fan. Some ceiling fans have lights, some don't.

I assume you have a single pole switch with no dimmer or anything correct? The black wire from the fan powers the fan. This is why it works. The black/white I am assuming is your light. Go ahead and attach that to the black wires. The red, you can cap. The white is neutral and is connected correctly. Do you not have a ground? If your home is older I wouldn't be surprised that you don't have a ground wire. But your fan should have one. Just ground that to the electrical box.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Light kit simply is referring to the lights on the ceiling fan. Some ceiling fans have lights, some don't.

I assume you have a single pole switch with no dimmer or anything correct? The black wire from the fan powers the fan. This is why it works. The black/white I am assuming is your light. Go ahead and attach that to the black wires. The red, you can cap. The white is neutral and is connected correctly. Do you not have a ground? If your home is older I wouldn't be surprised that you don't have a ground wire. But your fan should have one. Just ground that to the electrical box.
            Thanks for the help. It works properly now.. I capped the red wire. I do have a ground wire and grounded the fan to it..

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
              Thanks for the help. It works properly now.. I capped the red wire. I do have a ground wire and grounded the fan to it..

Thanks..
              Hey no problem. The bill is in the mail.
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X