No announcement yet.

What happened to your QB depth when ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to your QB depth when ...

... you're two games into the season, and the only options are a hyped, talented true freshman and a plucky, overachieving transfer who came in from a clearly inferior program? Right?

I look at BYU's roster, and I see Lark (2006 signing class) and Munns (2007 signing class). Did BYU recruit any QBs in the 2008/09 classes? Are they on missions? Or did the inevitability of Heaps going to BYU scare off other prospects who didn't want to sit behind Heaps, or have their starting job taken away by a true freshman?

The Crowton years obviously showed BYU fans that no one's immune from having bad QB play once in a while. But at least in those days, there seemed to be more than two bodies who could take a snap (Engemann, Mortensen, Pendleton, Brown, Berry, Beck ... are there any others?). Are Lark and Munns really that bad?

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
    ... you're two games into the season, and the only options are a hyped, talented true freshman and a plucky, overachieving transfer who came in from a clearly inferior program? Right?

I look at BYU's roster, and I see Lark (2006 signing class) and Munns (2007 signing class). Did BYU recruit any QBs in the 2008/09 classes? Are they on missions? Or did the inevitability of Heaps going to BYU scare off other prospects who didn't want to sit behind Heaps, or have their starting job taken away by a true freshman?

The Crowton years obviously showed BYU fans that no one's immune from having bad QB play once in a while. But at least in those days, there seemed to be more than two bodies who could take a snap (Engemann, Mortensen, Pendleton, Brown, Berry, Beck ... are there any others?). Are Lark and Munns really that bad?
    Are you thinking 4 QBs aren't enough? I'm not sure I understand the question. Or are you saying the coaches should give up on their 1st and 2nd string QBs after one bad loss?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Lark and Munns are basically freshman. Both would probably start at Utah, but are not better than Heaps.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Missions totally hosed BYU's depth. Lark or Munns (can't remember which) delayed a mission which put the Y in an awkward spot where they had hoped to have them back for the last season of Max Hall, but they didn't return until the spring.

FWIW, I firmly believe that both Lark and Munns are better QB prospects than Mortensen, Pendelton, and Brown, and probably on par with Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
          Lark and Munns are basically freshman. Both would probably start at Utah, but are not better than Heaps.
          That's not true. Thanks though.
          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            Are you thinking 4 QBs aren't enough? I'm not sure I understand the question. Or are you saying the coaches should give up on their 1st and 2nd string QBs after one bad loss?
            I think he is asking who should have been carrying max's clipboard the last two years(besides nelson). It is also the same reason that I whenever someone suggests that we move Griff Robles to defense, I swiftly kick them in the balls

My ADR6300 thinks YOhio is a dweeb
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

We're 1-1 against what could turn out to be two decent teams. Too early for smack.

Comment

Guys, being able to list names is not the same thing as depth. Right now, we don't have anybody who we can count on to play quarterback with the necessary proficiency. Depth is having multiple proficient options.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Guys, being able to list names is not the same thing as depth. Right now, we don't have anybody who we can count on to play quarterback with the necessary proficiency. Depth is having multiple proficient options.
                  2006 semi-returned missionary Max Hall signs with BYU as well as Sam Doman.

We have a 4 star in James Lark who signed in 2006 and had definite missions plans. However after redshirting in 2006 he decided to stay another year and said that he was no longer going on a mission. So he played in 2006 and 2007, then in May of 2008 decides to leave on a mission abruptly.

We signed 3 qbs in 2006, then in 2007 we sign JC transfer Brendan Gaskins, Jason Munns and Cade Cooper. So at one point we had Hall, Bower, Gaskins, Munns, Cooper, Doman, and Lark all in the program. No reason to even look at QBs in 2008.

After spring ball when Max is clearly going to be the starter Cade Cooper and Sam Doman both transfer, and Jason Munns who previously had no mission plans decides to go on a mission. We know what happened with Bower, and Lark has left on a mission as well. So we lose 5 quarterbacks fairly quickly.

In 2009 we sign Riley Nelson, and in 2010 we sign Jake Heaps. Munns and Lark both due home from missions however because they both left so late neither one was ready for fall of 2010 which puts BYU in a pickle. You have 3 highly touted QBs and a 4th with game experience yet all of them are very raw and the one with the most experience has the worst skills.

Depending on high you define depth we may not have it right now, but we are not very far away from it.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

We have a 4 star in James Lark who signed in 2006 and had definite missions plans. However after redshirting in 2006 he decided to stay another year and said that he was no longer going on a mission. So he played in 2006 and 2007, then in May of 2008 decides to leave on a mission abruptly.

We signed 3 qbs in 2006, then in 2007 we sign JC transfer Brendan Gaskins, Jason Munns and Cade Cooper. So at one point we had Hall, Bower, Gaskins, Munns, Cooper, Doman, and Lark all in the program. No reason to even look at QBs in 2008.

After spring ball when Max is clearly going to be the starter Cade Cooper and Sam Doman both transfer, and Jason Munns who previously had no mission plans decides to go on a mission. We know what happened with Bower, and Lark has left on a mission as well. So we lose 5 quarterbacks fairly quickly.

In 2009 we sign Riley Nelson, and in 2010 we sign Jake Heaps. Munns and Lark both due home from missions however because they both left so late neither one was ready for fall of 2010 which puts BYU in a pickle. You have 3 highly touted QBs and a 4th with game experience yet all of them are very raw and the one with the most experience has the worst skills.

Depending on high you define depth we may not have it right now, but we are not very far away from it.
                    or is it returned semi-missionary?
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Link?

Okay, I will get right to the point. I understand the you feel that way and the part in bold is what topute is insinuating, but the point - How in the hell do you know this?

Seriously - the season is two games old - one of which BYU won with some pretty damn solid QB play. So again, how do you know BYU doesn't have anybody let alone four guys who aren't very good D1 QBs?
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

Let's define depth as having multiple people you can count on to play the position. As of last Saturday . . . zero.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          Link?

Okay, I will get right to the point. I understand the you feel that way and the part in bold is what topute is insinuating, but the point - How in the hell do you know this?

Seriously - the season is two games old - one of which BYU won with some pretty damn solid QB play. So again, how do you know BYU doesn't have anybody let alone four guys who aren't very good D1 QBs?
                          Maybe we do, but we don't appear to know a) who he is, or b) how to build an offensive attack around him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            That's not true. Wynn has proven to be better than all 4 of BYU's quarterbacks so far. Thanks though.
                            FTFY.
                            "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                            -John Heisman

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
                              FTFY.

wow. Wynn has proven to be a delicate rose, not much else.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                              X