X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah group criticizes schools for opt-out forms for Obama's school speech

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...hools.html.csp

Discussed this in class today.

“I have a real problem with people not wanting their children to see the president of the United States give them a pep talk,” Picardi said. “We really feel as a coalition this is unacceptable in a country that preaches freedom and understanding.”

I don't understand people who are flat-out against this kind of thing. Regardless of your political affiliation, what's wrong with your child potentially being inspired by the President that the majority of our country voted for?

I'm sure there are some people on the board who are vehemently on the other side of this. I'd like to know why.

:stirthepot:
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
    -John Heisman

i honestly do not know what those in opposition to hearing the president tell their kids to work hard in school, and that they can be anything they want to be, are smoking.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

CU, are you a teacher?

Parents who pull their kids out of stuff like this are nuts. Why not read the text of the speech and discuss it with your kids? Perfect opportunity to teach them how to sift information.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        CU, are you a teacher?

Parents who pull their kids out of stuff like this are nuts. Why not read the text of the speech and discuss it with your kids? Perfect opportunity to teach them how to sift information.
        Define "Teacher" .

I'm currently in school- the topic was brought up by my professor. Just thought it was interesting.

I think we should all hear Seattle Ute's opinion on this.
        "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
        -John Heisman

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post

“I have a real problem with people not wanting their children to see the president of the United States give them a pep talk,” Picardi said. “We really feel as a coalition this is unacceptable in a country that preaches freedom and understanding.”

I don't understand people who are flat-out against this kind of thing. Regardless of your political affiliation, what's wrong with your child potentially being inspired by the President that the majority of our country voted for?

I'm sure there are some people on the board who are vehemently on the other side of this. I'd like to know why.

I got into it the last time this happened with some hard-core LDS women who were my facebook friends. After I systematically blew through their arguments, they finally came at me with their silver bullet: "There is hardly enough time to get through the standard curriculum. The President is just making it harder for teachers to meet these obligations by taking up precious school-time minutes."

I have no problem with this if I really thought they believed what they were saying. But their real beef was that he was a Democrat.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

opt out form is nothing. My son's district last year sent home a letter reassuring parents that in no way would any of their schools be airing or discussing the president's message.

Comment

Some of you have very short-term memories. Do you not remember what was going on last August when this all came about? Did you not read the first version of the "schoolwork" assignment the kids were asked to do. The whole thing was well intentionned, but the way it was handled from a PR standpoint made it seems that Iraqs minister of information was the one leading the charge.

FTR, we let our kids watch the broadcast. But as someone who can objectively look at both sides (or at least I think I can), I can understand why some people were nervous about this....at least last August. There is a reason you see much less uproar right now about this sort of thing.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                opt out form is nothing. My son's district last year sent home a letter reassuring parents that in no way would any of their schools be airing or discussing the president's message.
                Yep, this was what we had IIRC. We actually had to do an opt-in form.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The primary problem I have with anyone in the federal government talking to my kids at school is that it cost too damn much and they get little or nothing in return:

The Department of Education is a joke.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Define "Teacher" .
                    http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?lo...004d82620aRCRD
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

I don't know about that. I'm as vehemently opposed to Obama as anyone on this board and I don't have a problem with my kids watching the speech. If he tries to fill them full of commie propoganda (which I don't think he will) then I'll set the kiddies straight afterwards.

If people want to opt out, I don't agree with it, but that's their business.
                      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
                        I don't know about that. I'm as vehemently opposed to Obama as anyone on this board and I don't have a problem with my kids watching the speech. If he tries to fill them full of commie propoganda (which I don't think he will) then I'll set the kiddies straight afterwards.

If people want to opt out, I don't agree with it, but that's their business.
                        I don't think many people have a much of a problem with parents making these decisions for their kids, I think the issue is that sending home an opt out form with every child shouldn't be the default reaction whenever the President speaks to school kids.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I find this quote ironic..

“We really feel as a coalition this is unacceptable in a country that preaches freedom and understanding.”
                          Sooo.. You are saying you want to force the kids to watch it even if the parents don't want them too...

Comment

I think politics is a fool's game... unfortunately there are more vocal fools than average in Utah.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                              I don't think many people have a much of a problem with parents making these decisions for their kids, I think the issue is that sending home an opt out form with every child shouldn't be the default reaction whenever the President speaks to school kids.
                              The opt out form is in reaction to his last speech in which many parents made a big stink over. In response, the schools now send an opt out form. Seems smart on the schools part, given the circumstances.
                              "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                              X