On an island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On an island

There’s something strange going on with this team. Not only are they suffering from a QB dilemma but also it appears there is a defensive coaching dilemma. The loss to AFA leads me to believe that we just witnessed some serious growing pains from an inexperienced DC that quite possibly was in over his head. Jaime Hill must have been exclusively prepping the D and calling the plays.

The offensive philosophy of a triple option team is simple. Put outside defenders on an island and force them to make a decision. By the time the defensive player makes a decision the ball will be 4 or more yards down the field. What’s more, the AFA O coordinator got especially nasty with his offense. Not only did his veteran QB have BYU’s outside defenders floating about like farts in a whirlwind, after not blocking them on the triple option, they threw the lead option at them, from a variety of formations, forcing them to fight off the block. The result was 400 plus yards offensive output on the way to a good o’l fashioned triple option butt whoop’n.

The only way to stop the option is good coaching. You prep your team to play assignment football — to be disciplined and to trust their teammates. If a player’s job is to commit to the QB, regardless of whether he is fighting off a blocker, then he has to commit to the QB trusting that his teammate who is responsible for the pitch, even if fighting off a blocker, will get to the pitch. As a defensive DC if one of your players fails to fulfill his assignment then you replace him. Of course if no one fills his respective assignment, well, then, the defense simply was not well coached. It wouldn’t matter if you had Ray Lewis out there, because Ray Lewis would be out there on an island twisting like a fart in a whirlwind.

All of the above leads me to the conclusion that not only is this is a rebuilding year for the team with young and inexperienced players but a building year for the coaches. Bronco seems to be saying now’s the time to really step back and be a Lavell style head coach. This coaching staff and players are currently on an island. Let’s hope Bronco can lead them off the island and that the staff and these young players will grow together faster than was evident in the AFA game.

Go Cougs … beat FSU!
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM.

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    There’s something strange going on with this team. Not only are they suffering from a QB dilemma but also it appears there is a defensive coaching dilemma. The loss to AFA leads me to believe that we just witnessed some serious growing pains from an inexperienced DC that quite possibly was in over his head. Jaime Hill must have been exclusively prepping the D and calling the plays.

The offensive philosophy of a triple option team is simple. Put outside defenders on an island and force them to make a decision. By the time the defensive player makes a decision the ball will be 4 or more yards down the field. What’s more, the AFA O coordinator got especially nasty with his offense. Not only did his veteran QB have BYU’s outside defenders floating about like farts in a whirlwind, after not blocking them on the triple option, they threw the lead option at them, from a variety of formations, forcing them to fight off the block. The result was 400 plus yards offensive output on the way to a good o’l fashioned triple option butt whoop’n.

The only way to stop the option is good coaching. You prep your team to play assignment football — to be disciplined and to trust their teammates. If a player’s job is to commit to the QB, regardless of whether he is fighting off a blocker, then he has to commit to the QB trusting that his teammate who is responsible for the pitch, even if fighting off a blocker, will get to the pitch. As a defensive DC if one of your players fails to fulfill his assignment then you replace him. Of course if no one fills his respective assignment, well, then, the defense simply was not well coached. It wouldn’t matter if you had Ray Lewis out there, because Ray Lewis would be out there on an island twisting like a fart in a whirlwind.

All of the above leads me to the conclusion that not only is this is a rebuilding year for the team with young and inexperienced players but a building year for the coaches. Bronco seems to be saying now’s the time to really step back and be a Lavell style head coach. This coaching staff and players are currently on an island. Let’s hope Bronco can lead them off the island and that the staff and these young players will grow together faster than was evident in the AFA game.

Go Cougs … beat FSU!
    The thing about the lead option ... isn't backside pursuit supposed to be the key to attacking it? I couldn't figure out why our coaching cues missed identifying backside pursuit once everybody went away from players. That does seem like bad coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      The thing about the lead option ... isn't backside pursuit supposed to be the key to attacking it? I couldn't figure out why our coaching cues missed identifying backside pursuit once everybody went away from players. That does seem like bad coaching.
      Backside pursuit does you no good if your guys at the point of attack don't fill their assignment and string the play out. The AFA QB made great reads all day, mostly because they were easy reads.

Comment

I heard a post-game comment from Bronco (I think?) saying that AF ran a different look than what they prepped for. He said that instead of running a true triple option, they ran a lead option.... I don't know if that should have made any difference, but it looked like nobody knew how to attack and make a tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
          I heard a post-game comment from Bronco (I think?) saying that AF ran a different look than what they prepped for. He said that instead of running a true triple option, they ran a lead option.... I don't know if that should have made any difference, but it looked like nobody knew how to attack and make a tackle.
          A different look? The lead option is a standard wrinkle in any option teams playbook. It's certainly not new to the AFA playbook. They set it up by first running the triple option with heavy doses of fullback. The first couple of times the QB keeps the ball and bounces outside he's forcing an unblocked defender to make a decision. Then suddenly without warning a few plays later that same defender that wasn't blocked is now contending with a tight end or back out of the backfield in his face while trying to fill his assignment. It's option football 101 and most definitely NOT a different look.

BYU was unprepared and poorly coached defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            It's option football 101 and most definitely NOT a different look.

BYU was unprepared and poorly coached defensively.
            I agree, but that's what I thought I heard. I thought it was a pretty dumb statement.

Comment

Working...
            X