Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina changing for the better

Regardless of your politics, it's hard not to feel good about this story:

Tim Scott, 44, an African American Republican, will be elected the new congressman from the heavily Republican -- and 72.8 percent white -- 1st District. It includes Charleston, the cradle of secession, in whose harbor sits Fort Sumter. Scott won the nomination by handily defeating (68 percent to 32 percent) Paul Thurmond -- son of Strom, the former governor, Dixiecrat presidential candidate in 1948 and eight-term U.S. senator.
    A woman of Indian descent is going to be governor. Things are looking very 21st century in that state.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

No matter what political stripe you adhere to, there are distressing aspects of life in the USA, circa 2010. Simultaneously, in more than a few ways, things have never been better. It's always been like that.

Set the politics aside for a moment and take a broader view. We elected a black president in '08, and now we see this development from South Carolina. Hats off to America. Good for us.

Comment

They could really make things interesting if they elect Alvin Greene to the Senate. That's all the buzz around here now and while it would add a little flavor to the mix, I don't think anyone in their right mind wants that kind of nutty flavor.
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post

A woman of Indian descent is going to be governor. Things are looking very 21st century in that state.
        If you're going to patronize us at least have the courtesy to address us directly. TIA.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

If only Utah were so enlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            well played.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              If you're going to patronize us at least have the courtesy to address us directly. TIA.
              Your state is doing better than mine is on racial relations. I admire what is going on there in S.C. How's that?

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
              I haven't lived there for 28 years so I can't say how well they're doing but I suspect it's better than it was in 1982 when I left. BTW, I was talking about South Carolina.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Don't forget that the current governor eschewed the typical intern affair for an exotic South American woman. Very progressive. Good for you, South Carolina. :condescendingpatonhead:

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Don't forget that the current governor eschewed the typical intern affair for an exotic South American woman. Very progressive. Good for you, South Carolina. :condescendingpatonhead:
                  And Ohio is turning things around too. You're going to elect John Kasich.
                  ― W.H. Auden

Comment

And Ohio is turning things around too. You're going to elect John Kasich.
                    How is California doing? I don't really pay attention to internal California politics, though I do occasionally hear news snippets about an insurmountable budget deficit and massive state employee layoffs.

Comment

How is California doing? I don't really pay attention to internal California politics, though I do occasionally hear news snippets about an insurmountable budget deficit and massive state employee layoffs.
                      Obama should be rescuing us any moment now. He has the power of O.

Comment

I haven't lived there for 28 years so I can't say how well they're doing but I suspect it's better than it was in 1982 when I left. BTW, I was talking about South Carolina.
                        yeah, and he's a native of that state, that's why his moniker is SCcoug
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

[YOUTUBE]z167eXvBTlA[/YOUTUBE]
                          Last edited by YOhio; 09-10-2010, 07:40 AM.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Meg Whitman will probably be elected Governor, which will at least save us from one-party rule. She might be able to fix the state budget. We're trying to be a mini-Greece here in the Golden State.
                            ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Meg Whitman will probably be elected Governor, which will at least save us from one-party rule. She might be able to fix the state budget. We're trying to be a mini-Greece here in the Golden State.
                              Very cool... I am looking forward to picking up the golden gate bridge on eBay and scraping it out for a profit.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X