Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sportsmanship: Time for all of us to do better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportsmanship: Time for all of us to do better!

BYU President counsels students to balance activities, manage zeal

While most of our students and community are exemplary in their sportsmanship, we as a group as avid boosters can do better and must do better in respecting our opponents, and frankly ourselves, by acting the way representatives of Brigham Young University should act," President Samuelson said. "We applaud your enthusiasm and our student athletes recognize and appreciate your support. However, in both athletics and politics we see far too many examples of over zealous behavior. ... I caution and admonish you to help solve the problems and not be the creators or promoters of offensive behavior.
    This is good stuff. Nicely done, Pres. Samuelson. Now Mike Young needs to say, "Amen."
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    BYU President counsels students to balance activities, manage zeal

This is good stuff. Nicely done, Pres. Samuelson. Now Mike Young needs to say, "Amen."
    A+

Comment

Yeah, I think the rivalry has crossed the fine line between smack talk and talking shit.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
        Yeah, I think the rivalry has crossed the fine line between smack talk and talking shit.
        Your team sucks!
        "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
        -John Heisman

Comment

I agree with President Samuelson here. Hopefully with Utah and BYU's new scheduling arrangements, the rivalry can take a year or two off, to COOL off. Maybe that won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?

And we have to be honest here. There will always be dingbats on both sides of this, and they most likely will never go away. I think the responsibility lies in the hands of the civil, more intelligent fans to take a stand and prevent bad behavior. I've always wondered if this rivalry could be fun and not just bitter.
          "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
          -John Heisman

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
            That's a line so fine that it never existed.

Comment

I've never seen it spelled that way, so I looked it up and you can spell it three different ways:

over zealous
              over-zealous
              overzealous

CUF wordsmiths (or anybody with copy of the OED), is there a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                I've never seen it spelled that way, so I looked it up and you can spell it three different ways:

over zealous
                over-zealous
                overzealous

CUF wordsmiths (or anybody with copy of the OED), is there a difference?
                I'm guessing over zealous would be something done physically above the personified object of zealotry, whereas over-zealous and overzealous is excessive zealotry.
                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

President Samuelson also spoke of the need for individuals to not judge others. "Intensely personal decisions such as who to marry, when to have children if married, opinions about proper and improper majors or career choices for women and men, and other intrusive verbal or behavioral assaults should never be heard or seen in the BYU community," he said. "Happily, they are rare, but when they do happen they are extremely hurtful."

I hope that Julie B. Beck was taking notes.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post

I hope that Julie B. Beck was taking notes.
                    Wow, that shows you that things can change. There was a time, like when I was at BYU, that the leaders of the church instructed the members that they were not to put off having children.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Wow, that shows you that things can change. There was a time, like when I was at BYU, that the leaders of the church instructed the members that they were not to put off having children.
                      Thankfully now those members are now the leaders.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                        I'm guessing over zealous would be something done physically above the personified object of zealotry, whereas over-zealous and overzealous is excessive zealotry.
                        This is why I'm an engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          I wasn't at BYU then (mid or late 60's) but Spencer W. Kimball told students they shouldn't date/marry outside their race as well at a BYU devotional. I was given quotes from that and other talks of his all the time growing up in white supremacist Idaho by various youth leaders. They also thought I was going to hell when I stopped going to mutual when I was about 16. It shocked the hell out of them when they found out I had a scholarship to BYU.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I wasn't at BYU then (mid or late 60's) but Spencer W. Kimball told students they shouldn't date/marry outside their race as well at a BYU devotional. I was given quotes from that and other talks of his all the time growing up in white supremacist Idaho by various youth leaders. They also thought I was going to hell when I stopped going to mutual when I was about 16. It shocked the hell out of them when they found out I had a scholarship to BYU.
                            Before I left on my mission to Korea, my grandparents had me over for dinner to expounded on the importance of not falling in love with and marrying a Korean girl.

I had a good chuckle about it.

Comment

In our last stake conference, a member of the SP read some 40-year-old quote from Kimball and then spent 5 minutes telling everyone in the stake that they weren't to go on dates with any non-members. That might be practical advice in Utah, but this ain't Utah and he shouldn't be telling it to us like it's doctrine.
                              Last edited by TheBYUGuy; 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X