What should BYU do at ILB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should BYU do at ILB?

This is the only position that BYU seems to still be unsettled. I think this years TEs will be Muehlman, Wilson and Holt. My guess is Mahina will be a DE this spring. Needs to fatten up, a bit for that though.

What is the deal at ILB? Shane Hunter is steady and would be my choice for this week but after that why not more Aveni Leing-Wei? Or why not a lot of ALW with Hunter? He made the best individual defensive play of the game. From my vantage point AWL, Ogletree and Jorgenson were all out of position a few times. Hunter was out of position the least but methinks that the others might be able to do more from the wrong position than Hunter can from the right one.

I think AWL might understand the defense the least but is the best athlete of the group. Hunter understands the defense the best but is the worst athlete of the 4. Ogletree is likely to be the most fundamentally sound, I just assume that because of all of his years of great youth and high school coaching in the great state of Texas. Jorgenson comes from Sanpete County and has a great mormon name and might be the best mixture of athleticism, fundamentals and knowledge of the defense.

What should Hill do with this core? I would like to see Hunter play a lot this Saturday as his reliability and discipline will be helpful against the flyboys, and I doubt they have the athleticism to embarass him. But starting with FSU I wanna see more of the other 3 and throw caution to the wind.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    This is the only position that BYU seems to still be unsettled. I think this years TEs will be Muehlman, Wilson and Holt. My guess is Mahina will be a DE this spring. Needs to fatten up, a bit for that though.

What is the deal at ILB? Shane Hunter is steady and would be my choice for this week but after that why not more Aveni Leing-Wei? Or why not a lot of ALW with Hunter? He made the best individual defensive play of the game. From my vantage point AWL, Ogletree and Jorgenson were all out of position a few times. Hunter was out of position the least but methinks that the others might be able to do more from the wrong position than Hunter can from the right one.

I think AWL might understand the defense the least but is the best athlete of the group. Hunter understands the defense the best but is the worst athlete of the 4. Ogletree is likely to be the most fundamentally sound, I just assume that because of all of his years of great youth and high school coaching in the great state of Texas. Jorgenson comes from Sanpete County and has a great mormon name and might be the best mixture of athleticism, fundamentals and knowledge of the defense.

What should Hill do with this core? I would like to see Hunter play a lot this Saturday as his reliability and discipline will be helpful against the flyboys, and I doubt they have the athleticism to embarass him. But starting with FSU I wanna see more of the other 3 and throw caution to the wind.
    That play AWL made on Locker in the first quarter was indeed the best individual defensive play of the game, but I don't know if I noticed him throughout the rest of the game. Did he not play much after that? Did he play enough, but just didn't do much or did he play a lot and make several plays and I just need to be more observant? Bizarre.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      That play AWL made on Locker in the first quarter was indeed the best individual defensive play of the game, but I don't know if I noticed him throughout the rest of the game. Did he not play much after that? Did he play enough, but just didn't do much or did he play a lot and make several plays and I just need to be more observant? Bizarre.
      I didn't see him much after quarter 1. He hit the wrong hole (yo ASSMAN!) on the first long run that UW converted on 3rd and long.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I like AWL inside. I really don't care for Hunter. Ogletree isn't there yet but shows promise. Jorgensen as well. All of them struggle in pass coverage, but I wonder if some of that isn't scheme. As Junkie pointed out we really should put in a nickel package on every 3rd and long.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Meh. None of them impressed. I don't subscribe to the theory that our LB's are that good this year. IMHO the LB's and RB's are the weaknesses of this team.

Comment

I didn't see him much after quarter 1. He hit the wrong hole (yo ASSMAN!) on the first long run that UW converted on 3rd and long.
            And Hunter let himself get taken out by a blocker on that play.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              And Hunter let himself get taken out by a blocker on that play.
              I've mentioned this a couple times. I watched part of the game again last night and it was AWL not Hunter.

Comment

ALW hasn't played in a football game in a long time. I expect him to show the biggest improvement over the course of the season.

I've thought Ogeltree to be the best tackler of the bunch. Not sure if that is going to be the case after watching Jorgensen. I was really surprised at his strength. I was expecting him to be more like ALW, roaming well from hash to hash, but getting over matched against blockers. But that wasn't the case at all. There were at least two plays where Jorgensen was engaged by an OL, and on one he held his ground and on the other actually got a surge back towards the LOS that helped collapse the line around the runner.

Hunter and ALW, per Bronco, are getting the most practice reps this week in preparation for AFA. So it will be interesting to see what ALW does when he has to be very disciplined and precise this Saturday.

Comment

I've mentioned this a couple times. I watched part of the game again last night and it was AWL not Hunter.
                  I thought that Hunter was the most consistent at being in the right place, I just think AWL is the most talented of the crew. There is a SL Trib article on the LBs and essentially Bronco says that AWL and Hunter will get all the reps this week because it is Air Force but after this game he is opening it back up for competititon. How I read it is this: AWL is the most talented and is going to be a starter but the other starter has yet to be determined. Since it is AF and they don't have the athletes to expose Hunter we can get by and even benefit from his reliability. Hence, we will go with these two this week but after this week a competition is back on between Ogletree and Jorgenson to determine who the other starter will be.

It is going to be interesting to see how it plays out the rest of the year. I have no idea who is going to join AWL in the starting rotation once it is settled. Further, I suspect whoever it is will return to the 2nd string next year if Kaveinga ends up being all that and a bag of chips.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I thought that Hunter was the most consistent at being in the right place, I just think AWL is the most talented of the crew. There is a SL Trib article on the LBs and essentially Bronco says that AWL and Hunter will get all the reps this week because it is Air Force but after this game he is opening it back up for competititon. How I read it is this: AWL is the most talented and is going to be a starter but the other starter has yet to be determined. Since it is AF and they don't have the athletes to expose Hunter we can get by and even benefit from his reliability. Hence, we will go with these two this week but after this week a competition is back on between Ogletree and Jorgenson to determine who the other starter will be.

It is going to be interesting to see how it plays out the rest of the year. I have no idea who is going to join AWL in the starting rotation once it is settled. Further, I suspect whoever it is will return to the 2nd string next year if Kaveinga ends up being all that and a bag of chips.
                    I've never seen or noticed Kaveinga in person. He's listed at 5'11 255. That surprised me. Can he run? That's Moa Peaua size. 5'11 255 usually is accompanied by a butt that by comparison sake can make me honestly answer the weekly Sunday morning question with "no it makes you look like Gwyneth Paltrow".

Comment

I've never seen or noticed Kaveinga in person. He's listed at 5'11 255. That surprised me. Can he run? That's Moa Peaua size. 5'11 255 usually is accompanied by a butt that by comparison sake can make me honestly answer the weekly Sunday morning question with "no it makes you look like Gwyneth Paltrow".
                      LOL!

Not only does he have an ass, but he can shake it like Shakira!

I don't know all the details but I thought I read where Tidwell once said that if Kaveinga were elgible he would start. My guess is he would be the buck and have more runstopping roles and likely sub out on pass plays for a nickel package. Or he might be able to to get that big booty movin' and cover space like a thoroughbread. Those Polys are known to do that on occasion.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Peaua was like 285.
                        *Banned*

Comment

How much does Riley Nelson weigh? He is pretty physical.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                            How much does Riley Nelson weigh? He is pretty physical.
                            I think I recall he and Heaps weigh about the same - somewhere around 205, as listed.
                            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Just looked in my spreadsheet where I keep old rosters. We've only had a handful or LB's over the past 10 years that were in the 255 range and they were all 6'2 and above: Ena, Reynolds, Walkenhorst, Wagner.

Comment

Working...
                              X