After Week 1, I feel... (BYU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Week 1, I feel... (BYU)

After watching week 1, how do you feel about BYU's season? Are you more optimistic? Less optimistic? Unchanged? If your opinion has changed, why?
    More optimistic
    68.42%
    Unchanged
    30.26%
    Less optimistic
    1.32%

The poll is expired.

BYU played slightly better than I anticipated, but would that make me more or less optimistic?
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      After watching week 1, how do you feel about BYU's season? Are you more optimistic? Less optimistic? Unchanged? If your opinion has changed, why?
      Like Utah against Pitt, this was a game BYU could have lost. While I don't see anything that would change my sentiments about TCU, FSU and Utah -- all lock losses, IMO -- if I were a BYU fan, I'd feel a lot better about tossups vs. Nevada and AFA after beating Washington -- a team more in the range of Nevada and AFA than TCU, FSU and Utah.

Comment

Maybe I am less optimistic about UW than most, but I would have been disappointed if BYU couldn't have beaten them at home. I was happy about the way the game turned out, but I don't feel any better (or worse) about our chances than I did before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
          Like Utah against Pitt, this was a game BYU could have lost. While I don't see anything that would change my sentiments about TCU, FSU and Utah -- all lock losses, IMO -- if I were a BYU fan, I'd feel a lot better about tossups vs. Nevada and AFA after beating Washington -- a team more in the range of Nevada and AFA than TCU, FSU and Utah.
          Considering the rivalry game a lock loss this early in the year with the way the game has been played the last 10 years shows the red lenses you have in your glasses. If I were objectively picking today, I'd lean towards Utah, but the level of confidence required to call it a lock is asinine.

Comment

Considering the rivalry game a lock loss this early in the year with the way the game has been played the last 10 years shows the red lenses you have in your glasses. If I were objectively picking today, I'd lean towards Utah, but the level of confidence required to call it a lock is asinine.
            I think BYU's defense, if it stays healthy, could be pretty good by the Utah game. I think BYU could be exposed on crossing patterns over the middle as BYU's biggest defensive weakness is the middle of the field against the pass but it takes a good qb to be able to expose that. I really am confident that the missed assignments against the rush will improve throughout the season. Mendenhall puts such an emphasis on stopping the rush game, but the inadaquecies against the pass from the middle might not improve a great deal. I don't think Steven Thomas is that great and IMO learning to defend the pass is the biggest challenge for a young linebacker. I don't know if Wynn can take advantage of that yet or not.

I also tend to believe that BYU's offense could improve a great deal, but the 2 qb system is going to negate that to some extent. I doubt Riley Nelson will be able to move the ball against Utah as well as he did Washington and it isn't like BYU was moving the ball at will to begin with.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Ranked Utah team, playing at home with an experienced QB has equaled two blowouts at RES the last two times out, covering three meetings. The only thing that would change my mind regarding this game would be for BYU to put forth a very respectable showing at TCU -- like losing by less than two TDs.

Comment

Ranked Utah team, playing at home with an experienced QB has equaled two blowouts at RES the last two times out, covering three meetings. The only thing that would change my mind regarding this game would be for BYU to put forth a very respectable showing at TCU -- like losing by less than two TDs.
                By the time BYU plays UTah Wynn will have what 15 games under his belt? Is that experienced?

I am guessing if we beat TCU that still does not change your mind, that is how big of a homer you are.
                *Banned*

Comment

I agree. If there's anything the rivalry has taught us over the past few years, it's that it's very unpredictable. There aren't many blowouts anymore.

That said, if I had to pick the winner today I'd go with Utah based on their play against Pitt and home field advantage. They made a lot of dumb errors that could have lost them the game, but in theory they'll clean up that stuff...but then again it's the rivalry game so who knows?

Comment

Time will tell, but I believe this year's BYU defense is better than 2008 (I don't include the 2004 game). However, the offense is much worse. I could see Utah beating BYU decisively but more like 31-17 with a late TD putting it away. I don't think Wynn is going to be confused with either Alex Smith or Brian Johnson as a senior. I really think it will be a close game in the 24-21 area, similar to last year's game. Mistakes will be huge.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Nevada and Air Force were never "tossups," regardless of what happened against Washington. Furthermore, the Huskies would wipe the field with either of those teams.

Categorizing them as mere "tossups" (especially Nevada) is as a heavy indicator of unobjective bias.

Since about '07 or '08, the four top non-BCS programs have gotten so far ahead of the rest of the field that even in rebuilding years there's little chance of them losing to anybody but each other and top BCS opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        By the time BYU plays UTah Wynn will have what 15 games under his belt? Is that experienced?

I am guessing if we beat TCU that still does not change your mind, that is how big of a homer you are.
                        Nope, if BYU beats TCU, that totally changes my assessment of Utah-BYU. That would be more than enough to change the betting line from Utah by at least a TD, to Utah no better than -3 ... a tossup with Utah getting the edge because of home field. And I'd say you're experienced with more than a season's worth of starts under your belt, one of them being the rivalry game. BYU doesn't have that kind of experience at QB.

Comment

I'm continually impressed with Bronco. His teams more than not find ways to win games. At the start of the year I had byu at 7-8 wins. Now I see it more as 9-10. The only way they lose a non Utah/TCU conference game is if they have a game with multiple turnovers or a game like the 2007 utah unlv game where everything just went wrong. The Utah game will be a toss up IMHO.
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Nope, if BYU beats TCU, that totally changes my assessment of Utah-BYU. That would be more than enough to change the betting line from Utah by at least a TD, to Utah no better than -3 ... a tossup with Utah getting the edge because of home field. And I'd say you're experienced with more than a season's worth of starts under your belt, one of them being the rivalry game. BYU doesn't have that kind of experience at QB.
                            If I recall correctly...Riley has more "starts under his belt" than Wynn does...just being honest.

Comment

My testes certainly feel larger. I still see a loss to tcu and fsu, with a toss up with Utah. If somehow they win at fsu, I am going to have to put my sack in a wheelbarrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X