A season for forgiveness (Part II).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A season for forgiveness (Part II).

Melvin J Ballard relates the following, and now I am paraphrasing parts of this:
    In the scripture, scribes and Pharisees brought to Jesus "a woman taken in adultery."
    The law of Moses said the woman should be stoned. "What sayest thou?" the scribes and Pharisees asked. … He stooped down and wrote on the ground as though he did not hear them, thus getting their attention and preparing everyone within earshot to be taught. We don't know what he wrote on the ground with his finger. Then he "lifted up himself," in humble and meek majesty, and said these most powerful words: "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."
    Today in our responsibilities, situations, and callings, we need to be reminded of this over and over again. In our dealings with all people, let the person who is without sin be the first to criticize, find fault, or belittle, or be the first to stone someone's character. When Jesus stooped down and wrote again on the ground, the people felt the impact of his silence while he said nothing. Convicted by their own consciences, they left on their own, not driven away. They went out one by one—not to find stones, but to nurse their spiritual wounds.
    Left alone with the woman, Jesus said, "Where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?" The woman taken in adultery answered the Lord's question regarding her accusers by saying, "No man, Lord." And then came this powerful declaration: "Go, and sin no more." The Master was teaching in that day, and he is also teaching in ours. His great message: Despise the sin but love the sinner. He did not condone adultery. He gave the woman love instead of a lecture.

This last week I have felt so strongly impressed by the kindness and love of the savior. As I have pondered on his great sacrifice it has created a desire in me to see our brothers and sisters as he sees them. Not as the persons who have wronged or offended me, but as a persons who are in need of my forgiveness. I have also been struck by the necessity of working to develop this attribute if I expect to have the same consideration extended to me by the Lord.
    All of us fall short of perfection. All of us are muddling through this life the best that we can. It is my testimony if we will see others with our spiritual eyes that we will be disinclined to take offense, pass judgement, or be angry, and more likely to love, forgive, and be merciful. Of the fact that our own salvation is conditioned on how we treat others I have no doubt.
    That our loving father is waiting anxiously for our return is also a fact of which I have no doubt. May we all extend the love to others that he has extended to us in such great abundance, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Hopefully this will be received with the spirit I intend it to be.

Best,

Matt

P.S. Because of who I hope will read this I am putting it on both boards.
    Last edited by UtahDan; 11-20-2008, 07:12 AM.

3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
      From personal experience, it has been far easier for me to acknowledge my trespasses and seek forgiveness than to forgive others. I have been at both ends of the spectrum and I know there is no worse feeling than to recognize an individual's sincere desire to be forgiven, yet because of pride you want them to suffer a bit longer...then I look at my life experiences and sometimes am amazed at how merciful God has been with me that despite my trespasses, all he has asked for is a broken heart and a contrite spirit.

Comment

What about sons of perdition. Shouldn't there be sons of perdition? People we never forgive, no matter how penitent? Child molesters? Murderers? Internet message board malcontents?

Comment

Originally posted by cougarobgon View Post
          From personal experience, it has been far easier for me to acknowledge my trespasses and seek forgiveness than to forgive others. I have been at both ends of the spectrum and I know there is no worse feeling than to recognize an individual's sincere desire to be forgiven, yet because of pride you want them to suffer a bit longer...then I look at my life experiences and sometimes am amazed at how merciful God has been with me that despite my trespasses, all he has asked for is a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
          Interesting. I always struggle to forgive myself, but can forgive others more easily. Although, if someone hurts a close family member or friend, I usually have a more difficult time forgiving the injuring party.

Comment

Re: the woman taken in adultery

Within the speculation that Jesus was married, I've read where some historians feel that the woman taken in adultery was Jesus's wife, and the crowd publicly brought her to him in order to mock his greatness.

*If* that were true, it's amazing to see how quick he was to forgive. But even if it were not true, would his reaction have been any different had it been his wife, what with his being a just man made perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercutio View Post

Within the speculation that Jesus was married, I've read where some historians feel that the woman taken in adultery was Jesus's wife, and the crowd publicly brought her to him in order to mock his greatness.
              I think this says it all, Jesus was perfect and even he couldn't make his wife happy. My wife is on day 3 of not talking to me and once again I am enjoying the break.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                I think this says it all, Jesus was perfect and even he couldn't make his wife happy. My wife is on day 3 of not talking to me and once again I am enjoying the break.
                RC you missed your true calling in life. You should have been doing stand-up.

Comment

Rotflmmfaoasdpaomk

Comment

Originally posted by Mercutio View Post
                    It would have to be a decidely minority view because most historians/bible scholars view that account as a late edition and not part of the earliest manuscripts.

Comment

Working...
                    X