I don't make a lot of predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't make a lot of predictions

Within 3 or 5 years, MWC teams (if the MWC still exists) will be lining up to play us in all sports.
    "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

I was listening to the local ESPN radio hosts in Vegas a few minutes ago. They lead their show with BYU's independence news and proceed to riiiiiip BYU from all sides. They think BYU is retarded for leaving the MWC because if they stayed the MWC would be an AQ conference in a year or two.

Next they are adamant that UNLV and the rest of the MWC should NEVER schedule BYU again. One host relents a bit, and comments that BYU is their biggest bball rival, but that UNLV should only schedule BYU at home. Then they remember that BYU is the biggest gate of the year in bball, oh, and also in football (and they add a remark about how, the last 10 years aside, UNLV has been very competitive against BYU in football, citing many games where they were "in it with 4 or 5 minutes left"). Then one host comments that Jim Livengood (UNLV AD) has already said that he'd like to keep playing BYU (presumably b/c of the draw each year). Nice argument, fellas.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'll make a bold prediction. BYU just set the trend that will cause the upheaval of college football. Superconferences as the future? No. It's independence.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I'll make a bold prediction. BYU just set the trend that will cause the upheaval of college football. Superconferences as the future? No. It's independence.
        Yep, once U$C sees the money that BYU is getting from going Indy they might look into it as well. Other programs that might be able to do it include Texas and Ohio State. The problem is finding a home for their other sports. Maybe their should be an Independent conference set up to specifically house the non-football sports of the Independents
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This is what I have been thinking since we learned that ESPN was willing to pay BYU Gazillions. If ESPN pays BYU Gazillions, how much would they be willing to pay Texas, USC, Oklahoma etc...
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

UNLV is one of the MWC schools that I guarantee jumps at the chance to continue scheduling us and we continue scheduling them. They have their best crowds and make the most money off BYU games. I think SDSU falls all over themselves to accomodate us too. I think CSU and Wyo don't ever get to schedule us regularly in the future. I think AFA in football gets some BYU love and might be a regular foe.

TCU is the real question. I think their fans feel like there was a burgeoning rivalry. I don't think BYU fans felt the same. As a result, I can't decide if we schedule them in the future or not.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
              UNLV is one of the MWC schools that I guarantee jumps at the chance to continue scheduling us and we continue scheduling them. They have their best crowds and make the most money off BYU games. I think SDSU falls all over themselves to accomodate us too. I think CSU and Wyo don't ever get to schedule us regularly in the future. I think AFA in football gets some BYU love and might be a regular foe.

TCU is the real question. I think their fans feel like there was a burgeoning rivalry. I don't think BYU fans felt the same. As a result, I can't decide if we schedule them in the future or not.
              It will be interesting to see who continues to schedule BYU. As a football fan, I would love to continue playing AFA, and be able to pick up Boise and TCU occasionally. But they lose the most from this move. I can't imagine them going out of their way to accommodate BYU.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
                It will be interesting to see who continues to schedule BYU. As a football fan, I would love to continue playing AFA, and be able to pick up Boise and TCU occasionally. But they lose the most from this move. I can't imagine them going out of their way to accommodate BYU.
                AFA is a longshot in a 9-game conference schedule, which is what the MWC will have in 2011. Army and Navy are etched in stone, and Calhoun's philosophy is to have a 1-AA team in the opener for Parents' Weekend. I doubt that changes just to get BYU on the schedule.

Maybe in an 8-game conference schedule, but AFA fancies itself able to get games against high-profile national opponents, and has done a good job of scheduling such opponents in recent years. Honestly, BYU's best shot of scheduling AFA after 2011 will come if AFA goes independent itself -- not out of the realm of possibility by a long shot if this "new" MWC isn't able to carry its own water on the TV side of things.

Comment

I don't get the AFA love. Who cares if we play them?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                    AFA is a longshot in a 9-game conference schedule, which is what the MWC will have in 2011. Army and Navy are etched in stone, and Calhoun's philosophy is to have a 1-AA team in the opener for Parents' Weekend. I doubt that changes just to get BYU on the schedule.

Maybe in an 8-game conference schedule, but AFA fancies itself able to get games against high-profile national opponents, and has done a good job of scheduling such opponents in recent years. Honestly, BYU's best shot of scheduling AFA after 2011 will come if AFA goes independent itself -- not out of the realm of possibility by a long shot if this "new" MWC isn't able to carry its own water on the TV side of things.
                    That wasn't so hard, was it?
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      That wasn't so hard, was it?
                      I'm glad you appreciate the effort.

Comment

I do.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I don't get the AFA love. Who cares if we play them?
                          I like them because they are a consistently strong team with regional ties. BYU-AFA was the first college game I ever watched. I also have deep respect for teams that run the option (although i hated Nebraska in the 90s). And I think the flyovers are bitchin.

Comment

believe it or not, we all do.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

this will be interesting to watch. When are contract renewals coming up? Is 2012 the end of the contract world too? That would be a little premature to evaluate BYU's run at independence.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X