X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN exec interview covering BYU deal

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._mike_bur.html

Pretty interesting stuff.

Q: How attractive is BYU to television as an independent? (Note: The interview with Magnus occurred before a report by The Denver Post that BYU will likely remain in the Mountain West.)

"It's hard to say. You have to consider who they would be playing. BYU to me is a great brand and has a solid history of excellent performance on the fields and on the courts. I think they would have had a good time of it as an independent in terms of putting their best foot forward and build a BYU brand independently. Ultimately, their departure was a lot of rumors and until they actually make the leap, it's difficult to say."

Q: How difficult would it be for ESPN to help set up enough home-and-home football games for BYU as an independent?

"I think they could have slipped right into our mechanism to fill schedules and word would have spread pretty quickly that they had availability. They have a history of having pretty good teams coming to play in Provo. Texas just did a home-and-home with them. They had Notre Dame there over the years. I presume they'll continue to play Utah. I think it would have been an interesting proposition to have sort of the mountain version of Notre Dame."

Q: Is it done now for BYU to be an independent since the Mountain West countered by adding Nevada and Fresno State from the WAC?

"I'm not sure. I think they obviously have to evaluate a much different landscape than where they were a week ago."

Q: There are reports that ESPN and BYU talked about a deal for four BYU home game on ESPN for up to $4 million. Is that accurate?

"I can only say our company statement. We had conversations with them."
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

If nothing else comes from this whole ordeal, it shows that there is at least legitimate interest in BYU on somewhat of a national scale.

ESPN's interest and conversations also lends credence to the thoughts that the biggest reason BYU isn't in the Pac-12 with Utah is due to Religious affiliations, and less with on-field (or on-court) performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      If nothing else comes from this whole ordeal, it shows that there is at least legitimate interest in BYU on somewhat of a national scale.

ESPN's interest and conversations also lends credence to the thoughts that the biggest reason BYU isn't in the Pac-12 with Utah is due to Religious affiliations, and less with on-field (or on-court) performance.
      Definitely agree on the first point.

BTW, could you update that Cougar/MWC image for the Cougar to be bloodying the MWC with its claws?
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post

Yeah worth noting - has been noted elsewhere - that this is an Alabama reporter and he spends a quarter of his interview with an ESPN exec on BYU.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
          Definitely agree on the first point.

BTW, could you update that Cougar/MWC image for the Cougar to be bloodying the MWC with its claws?
          I would have suggested a different update to that picture. Does anyone know what Cougar scat looks like?
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I am a little confused. Is this guy the right hand or the left hand?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I thought you said you were done with this. Or is today the last day?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                On one hand he's done. But that hand isn't sure whether the other hand is or not.

Comment

he's the wiener in the middle.

Comment

Landpoke said it had still had legs. Who am I to argue with landpoke reagrding silly jokes? Besides, this was too easy to pass up.
                    Last edited by creekster; 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM. Reason: it was a joykill.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                      http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._mike_bur.html

Pretty interesting stuff.

Q: How attractive is BYU to television as an independent? (Note: The interview with Magnus occurred before a report by The Denver Post that BYU will likely remain in the Mountain West.)

"It's hard to say. You have to consider who they would be playing. BYU to me is a great brand and has a solid history of excellent performance on the fields and on the courts. I think they would have had a good time of it as an independent in terms of putting their best foot forward and build a BYU brand independently. Ultimately, their departure was a lot of rumors and until they actually make the leap, it's difficult to say."

Q: How difficult would it be for ESPN to help set up enough home-and-home football games for BYU as an independent?

"I think they could have slipped right into our mechanism to fill schedules and word would have spread pretty quickly that they had availability. They have a history of having pretty good teams coming to play in Provo. Texas just did a home-and-home with them. They had Notre Dame there over the years. I presume they'll continue to play Utah. I think it would have been an interesting proposition to have sort of the mountain version of Notre Dame."

Q: Is it done now for BYU to be an independent since the Mountain West countered by adding Nevada and Fresno State from the WAC?

"I'm not sure. I think they obviously have to evaluate a much different landscape than where they were a week ago."

Q: There are reports that ESPN and BYU talked about a deal for four BYU home game on ESPN for up to $4 million. Is that accurate?

"I can only say our company statement. We had conversations with them."
                      Pretty legit and pretty cool. I'm in favor of independence if we could get a satisfactory basketball solution and if it includes upgrading the FB schedule.

Comment

His right hand said that...you can't expect his left hand to do the same thing.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                          I would have suggested a different update to that picture. Does anyone know what Cougar scat looks like?
                          Just like cat shit but bigger...

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Just like cat shit but bigger...

That makes sense. Cuz a cougar is just like a cat, only bigger.
                            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's amphibious.

Comment

Working...
                              X