Question on Bronco's 3-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Bronco's 3-4

Maybe I haven't been paying attention as much as I should, but I was thinking Bronco's 3-4 is a lot closer to a 4-3 than others. It seems it is common for him to have one DE line up like a traditional DE, move a LB up as another DE, and have the other DE line up like a traditional DT. Fans of Jan Jorg's pass rushing didn't like this because he was the one lining up like a DT a lot of the time. Is this right? This year's starting line seems perfect for this setup as So'oto is the end with Manamalenuamiania being the quasi DT.

It's not uncommon to see that type of set up in the 3-4. The Ravens, in particular, use the same set up with Ngata playing a hybrid DT/DE position. But yes, essentially what you're saying is right. you still have two guys who are "cloggers" and can hopefully occupy two blockers on the O-Line each. That gives hopefully a one-on-one matchup at your DE position and keeps your backers free to deal with Backs/TEs or put the pressure on the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      It's not uncommon to see that type of set up in the 3-4. The Ravens, in particular, use the same set up with Ngata playing a hybrid DT/DE position. But yes, essentially what you're saying is right. you still have two guys who are "cloggers" and can hopefully occupy two blockers on the O-Line each. That gives hopefully a one-on-one matchup at your DE position and keeps your backers free to deal with Backs/TEs or put the pressure on the QB.
      The general rule I've always heard is that you can always move defensive players closer to the line of scrimmage; but it's hard to move a guy backwards. So, you can walk up an LB to play DE, or a SS to play like an LB, but it doesn't go the other way.

Bronco's come a long way since teh 3-3-5 days.
      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
        The general rule I've always heard is that you can always move defensive players closer to the line of scrimmage; but it's hard to move a guy backwards. So, you can walk up an LB to play DE, or a SS to play like an LB, but it doesn't go the other way.

Bronco's come a long way since teh 3-3-5 days.
        Don't be shocked if you see some elements of the 3-3-5 defense this year.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Maybe I haven't been paying attention as much as I should, but I was thinking Bronco's 3-4 is a lot closer to a 4-3 than others. It seems it is common for him to have one DE line up like a traditional DE, move a LB up as another DE, and have the other DE line up like a traditional DT. Fans of Jan Jorg's pass rushing didn't like this because he was the one lining up like a DT a lot of the time. Is this right? This year's starting line seems perfect for this setup as So'oto is the end with Manamalenuamiania being the quasi DT.
          I think that the DEs played more outside gaps in 2006 and 2007 than they did in 2008 and 2009. I think the reason is that BYU was soft against up the gut those years as Russel Tialeeva never seemed to regain his form after his injury and the ILBs the past two years were not the players of 2006 and 2007. To compensate the DEs were asked to play more inside shades.

Saying that, the traditional 3-4 is what you describe with one of the DE's being a hybrid DE/DT. It also allows for the WOLB to be a hybrid DE/OLB. I think the BYU personnel on the roster now is more consistent with that type of 3-4 usage.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I also think BYU did this a bit in 2006 and 2007 just that the DE who played the hybrid wasn't JJ. Then in 2008 and 2009 neither of the DEs could play outside, save on obvious passing downs, in order to compensate for the weakness up the middle. I think this year Vic So'oto is going to play more similar to how Jan did in 2006 and 2007.

People seem really big on Romney Fuga this year now that he has 2 years in the system and one year removed from mission legs. I think the ILBs are more talented, save Shane Hunter, than the past two years but they lack the experience. I am more excited than a puppy with two peters to see how it all works out this year.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
            X