BYU's coming talent overstock at LB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU's coming talent overstock at LB

The Cougs have never seen anything like the depth and variety of LB talent they'll have in 2011. Of BYU 2009 backers there are four two-deepers (Bauman, Doman, Hooks and Clawson) who I don't think would crack the two-deep competing against this group next year.

Witness:

Jordan Pendleton, Sr
    Uona Kaveinga, Jr
    Brandon Ogletree, Jr
    Austin Jorgensen, Soph
    Kyle Van Noy, Soph
    Jordan Atkinson, Sr
    Alani Fua, RS frosh or soph
    Aveni Leng-Wei, Sr
    Daniel Sorensen, Soph (or RS)
    Iona Pritchard, Soph(or RS)
    Spencer Hadley, Soph (or RS)
    Michael Alisa, Soph (or RS)
    Zac Stout, ? - mission or could stay and be a soph
    Tyler Beck, ? - injury etc

I'm guessing that the entire group of four returning missionaries who were pressed into early service as true freshmen because we were desperate will now take RS seasons and take their time getting back into shape.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Hadley has grown 1.5 inches in height and done a pretty good job of maintaining his strength on his mission. I guess he does the Herschel Walker workout on his by waking up 45 minutes early and doing a couple hundred push ups and sit ups everyday. He told his parents to not send him any clippings, highlights, or talk about BYU sports in their emails to him and supposedly didn't want to see the DVD of his brother being the MVP of the state championship last year as a sophomore (Matt. He gave an early verbal commitment to Bronco this summer). Personally, I expect big things from Spencer in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Hadley has grown 1.5 inches in height and done a pretty good job of maintaining his strength on his mission. I guess he does the Herschel Walker workout on his by waking up 45 minutes early and doing a couple hundred push ups and sit ups everyday. He told his parents to not send him any clippings, highlights, or talk about BYU sports in their emails to him and supposedly didn't want to see the DVD of his brother being the MVP of the state championship last year as a sophomore (Matt. He gave an early verbal commitment to Bronco this summer). Personally, I expect big things from Spencer in the future.
      Hadley showed well pre-mish as did that whole group. Good things to come.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
        The Cougs have never seen anything like the depth and variety of LB talent they'll have in 2011. Of BYU 2009 backers there are four two-deepers (Bauman, Doman, Hooks and Clawson) who I don't think would crack the two-deep competing against this group next year.

Witness:

Jordan Pendleton, Sr
        Uona Kaveinga, Jr
        Brandon Ogletree, Jr
        Austin Jorgensen, Soph
        Kyle Van Noy, Soph
        Jordan Atkinson, Sr
        Aveni Leng-Wei, Sr
        Joey Owens- RS injury
        Toloa'i Ho Ching- greyshirt, mission
        Sae Tautu- RS frosh
        Teu Kautai- mission
        Collin Keoshian- freshman

Adam Pulsipher- incoming freshman 2011
        Austin Heder- incoming freshman 2011
        I'm guessing that the entire group of four returning missionaries who were pressed into early service as true freshmen because we were desperate will now take RS seasons and take their time getting back into shape.
        I edited it a bit for you.
        *Banned*

Comment

The Cougs have never seen anything like the depth and variety of LB talent they'll have in 2011.
          Now, you may be completely right, I'll give you that, but I swear every time I turn around on CB someone is going off about how we've never seen anything like the depth and talent at position X like this year. I'm a little fatigued from it.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            Now, you may be completely right, I'll give you that, but I swear every time I turn around on CB someone is going off about how we've never seen anything like the depth and talent at position X like this year. I'm a little fatigued from it.
            Agree. It always goes like this. Guys don't develop, get injured, switch positions, transfer or get kicked out. It's hard to say you're overstocked at a position when none of these guys have played except for Pendleton. I'll wait and see.

Comment

Given Fua's frame and height, I bet he becomes a devestating defensive lineman. He doesn't have the weight for it now so he is spending time with the lbs but he will lift and eat and become a DE.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                Agree. It always goes like this. Guys don't develop, get injured, switch positions, transfer or get kicked out. It's hard to say you're overstocked at a position when none of these guys have played except for Pendleton. I'll wait and see.
                Yes and no. I remember many carrying on about how good and deep BYU's LBs would be before 2005, by 2006 they were right. Jensen, Kehl, Nixon, Poppinga with the depth of Boldin, Staffieri and Wagner were really, really good LBs. I don't think it excessively homeristic to believe the next group, starting in 2011, will have a similar performance.

I tend to take this approach: If those carrying on are carrying on about positions that BYU normally has really good players (DL, OL, TE, LB) I usually believe it will come to fruition. If it is WR or CB, I usually assume it won't work out as well as many hope.

Saying that, I really think BYU has a really solid corps of LBs. I believe a few will rise to the top as the creme de la creme, or something like that, and be excellent players.
                Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 08-27-2010, 09:08 AM.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                  Given Fua's frame and height, I bet he becomes a devestating defensive lineman. He doesn't have the weight for it now so he is spending time with the lbs but he will lift and eat and become a DE.
                  I bet he plays WOLB. He isn't going on a mission and I think that he has the athleticism to play the WOLB position up to 240 lbs. This kid has a long way to go to get to 240 lbs.

Now, I think Mahina will find his way to DE eventually.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Witness:

Jordan Pendleton, Sr
                    Uona Kaveinga, Jr
                    Brandon Ogletree, Jr
                    Austin Jorgensen, Soph
                    Kyle Van Noy, Soph
                    Jordan Atkinson, Sr
                    Aveni Leng-Wei, Sr

Proven: Pendleton

Somewhat proven but will be new RM's: Sorenson, Pritchard (might play FB), Alisa

The rest: I'll wait and see

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Proven: Pendleton

Somewhat proven but will be new RM's: Sorenson, Pritchard (might play FB), Alisa

The rest: I'll wait and see
                      We also know Jorgensen and Atkinson can play

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        We also know Jorgensen and Atkinson can play
                        Just announced that Atkinson is redshirting this year. Also we know that Ogletree can play the kid is a human missile.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Shane Hunter and Aveni Leung-Wai to start in the middle vs Washington. Zac Stout is the primary backup to Hunter and Austen Jorgensen or Brandon Ogletree will back up Leung-Wai.

I think by game 3 or 4, the starters will be Stout and Ogletree.

It looks like the two deep at LB will look like this:

OLB: Frazier and Pendelton
                          2nd string: Van Noy (He will be the primary backup and has been cross trained at both the Strong and Weakside backer positions. More than likely if Pendelton goes down, Frazier will move to SLB and Van Noy will play the weakside) Jadon Wagner, and Zeke Mendenhall.

MLB: MIke positon: Shane Hunter, Zac Stout
                          Buck position: Aveni Leung-Wai, Austen Jorgensen or Brandon Ogletree

We are pretty deep at LB going in to this year, I really think if Kaveinga was cleared by the NCAA, Stout redshirts and Kaveinga starts over Hunter.
                          *Banned*

Comment

So does this mean Bronco switches back to the 3-3-5?

I thought you had to have a lot of speed at the LB position for the 3-3-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              So does this mean Bronco switches back to the 3-3-5?

I thought you had to have a lot of speed at the LB position for the 3-3-5.
                              I would think he stays with a 3-4. With the depth they have next few years LB will be the strong spot on the defense. Also, they are finally getting some D Lineman that are more tailored to play in a 3-4. They have some bigger DE's in the system now which is much better than 255 pound D Ends for that system like they have had in the past.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X