Glenn Beck's Rally this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Beck's Rally this weekend

It will be interesting to see how many people turn out. The last Rally he had was attended very well.

Washington Post article on the event...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...507063_pf.html

PS: I am moving this weekend so I won't be there. But if anyone wants to help me move in Columbus let me know..

I used to watch Crissy Mathews all the time. I occasionally watch now because I put him in the same league as Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, Obermann and Maddow. They all sing one tune and never look at things from the other guys point of view.

Case in point. The few times I have watched Crissy, he and those he agrees with not only think the Muslims have the right to build the Mosque at ground zero, but the arguments that "they have the right, but should be sensitive and not do it" are bogus.

A couple of days ago he is talking about how insensitive Glen Beck is to have his rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's speech. Basically he and the doofs he was talking with were saying Beck is only doing this to stick it in the face of blacks. They argue basically, Beck has the right to do it on this day, but if he was sensitive to AA feelings, he wouldn't do it.

Like I said, I only now days watch or listen to bits and pieces of all these guys shows and so if any of them aren't always on the fringe, I may have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      I used to watch Crissy Mathews all the time. I occasionally watch now because I put him in the same league as Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, Obermann and Maddow. They all sing one tune and never look at things from the other guys point of view.
      I don't find this to be true of Rachel, who appears educated, intelligent, sincere and fair-minded.

I don't watch Beck, but I've turned in to watch snatches of his show this week. I cannot determine if he is merely an ingenious con-man or a man who sincerely believes in his mission. What I find fascinating is what seems an almost-LDS approach to his anticipation of connecting with the Spirit in relation to his expectations for this week-end. I hope that the event will be peaceful.
      "We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
      --Henry James (1843-1916)

Comment

Looks like Albert Pujol's is a fan (Spoke at the Rally)...

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Glenn-...557760bafa9eb5

Comment

Originally posted by hopfrog View Post
          I don't find this to be true of Rachel, who appears educated, intelligent, sincere and fair-minded.

I don't watch Beck, but I've turned in to watch snatches of his show this week. I cannot determine if he is merely an ingenious con-man or a man who sincerely believes in his mission. What I find fascinating is what seems an almost-LDS approach to his anticipation of connecting with the Spirit in relation to his expectations for this week-end. I hope that the event will be peaceful.
          He is a con who sells overpriced gold coins with the same passion. But I totally agree with you about this LDS approach. The few times I've watched him I couldn't help but think that most of the world will not be able to see how deeply affected he is by Mormonism. I find it a bit ironic, thinking how so many of the anti-Mormon -born-agains are eating Mormon Coco Puffs served from Beck's hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            He is a con who sells overpriced gold coins with the same passion. But I totally agree with you about this LDS approach. The few times I've watched him I couldn't help but think that most of the world will not be able to see how deeply affected he is by Mormonism. I find it a bit ironic, thinking how so many of the anti-Mormon -born-agains are eating Mormon Coco Puffs served from Beck's hands.
            Some of them don't like it much...

"God, the Gospel, and Glenn Beck"

A Mormon television star stands in front of the Lincoln Memorial and calls American Christians to revival. He assembles some evangelical celebrities to give testimonies, and then preaches a God and country revivalism that leaves the evangelicals cheering that they’ve heard the gospel, right there in the nation’s capital.

The news media pronounces him the new leader of America’s Christian conservative movement, and a flock of America’s Christian conservatives have no problem with that.

If you’d told me that ten years ago, I would have assumed it was from the pages of an evangelical apocalyptic novel about the end-times. But it’s not. It’s from this week’s headlines. And it is a scandal.
            Mormonism and Mammonism are contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ. They offer another Lord Jesus than the One offered in the Scriptures and Christian tradition, and another way to approach him. An embrace of these tragic new vehicles for the old Gnostic heresy is unloving to our Mormon friends and secularist neighbors, and to the rest of the watching world.
            http://www.russellmoore.com/2010/08/...nd-glenn-beck/

Comment

I've been wondering if Glenn Beck is the antichrist. It would be, like, an M. Night Shyamalan turn of events. We wouldn't even see it coming.

Comment

Glenn Beck is insane. Maybe I am extra sensitive because we share the same faith, but he gives me the willies when I watch him.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Glenn Beck is insane. Maybe I am extra sensitive because we share the same faith, but he gives me the willies when I watch him.
                  I think he's a nut, but I can't for the life of me understand why people criticize a peaceful event that encourages people to adhere to religious values. Sure, there were nuts there, but it seemed that the message of the rally and most of the people there were genuine and peaceful. I thought this was a fascinating take on the rally.

[YOUTUBE]7CY5aFvRe2E[/YOUTUBE]
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

The dude's a genius. He saw a market that was not being fulfilled by anyone and he took it all the while laughing on his way to the bank.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      It is almost like Beck is to you what BYU is for the ALUF. We all need something to demonstrate our independence from a religion that critics claim brainwashes us.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Beck is a very crafty guy, much like Obama.

I watched some of the stuff leading up to his event, some of the event and some of the discussion after. He appears to be a very nice guy who want us all to love God and love each other. He is a uniter not a divider. He is just misunderstood by those who are critical of him. I have heard from plenty of people that one on one he is a very likeable good guy.

Sure, he has said some wacky things, but then again so has our President.

A couple of differences. Philosophically I agree much more with Beck than our good President. Secondly, the main stream press overlooks the flim flam character of Obama while pointing it out every chance they get with Beck.

I tend to think they are both flim flam men. One driven by his thought of himself as being more intellectually connected than the rest of us. The other driven by his connection to "sprirituality". The battle of the intellect vs the spiritual. My opinion is either extreme does not produce leaders who can actually bring people together. They appear to have a large following because of how devout those who "believe" are. However, your average Joe, which most of us are, just don't connect with either.

Comment

Beck is to Obama what Moveon.org was to Bush.. The needle in his shoe that would never go away.

I enjoy Beck. I think he is sincere and he believes this is his calling. I think he truly believes he is helping our country and at times I can agree.. Other times he goes a little to far off even for me.. Do I think he is trying to just make a buck by pandering to a certain group?? No. This is the goods he is selling and what he believes.. And I guess a good amount of people agree with him...

In the case of this Rally. I think it was a great thing.. I moved this weekend (Thanks for volunteers) so I missed it and was unable to see any news footage of it since I have no TV..
                          Last edited by dabrockster; 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                            Beck is to Obama what Moveon.org was to Bush.. The needle in his shoe that would never go away.

I enjoy Beck. I think he is sincere and he believes this is his calling. I think he truly believes he is helping our country and at times I can agree.. Other times he goes a little to far off even for me.. Do I think he is trying to just make a buck by polandering to a certain group?? No. This is the goods he is selling and what he believes.. And I guess a good amount of people agree with him...

In the case of this Rally. I think it was a great thing.. I moved this weekend (Thanks for volunteers) so I missed it and was unable to see any news footage of it since I have no TV..
                            Is that a portmanteau of "pander" and "philander?"
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

I watched some of the stuff leading up to his event, some of the event and some of the discussion after. He appears to be a very nice guy who want us all to love God and love each other. He is a uniter not a divider. He is just misunderstood by those who are critical of him. I have heard from plenty of people that one on one he is a very likeable good guy.
                              That's funny.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X