Forgiving BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgiving BYU

I'm pissed at BYU for what they did to Harvey. It's been discussed. I don't mean to rehash. I'm pissed at what happened to Loyd. I hate that my school (and church) comes across as extremely Pharasaical institution. But the bottom line is it's part of me and always will be.

I don't agree with a lot of stuff that happens in my family of origin. But I don't divorce myself from my family. I'll always be a Santos, no matter what crap my parents or aunts and uncles or brothers or sisters might pull. And though we always likely have a Thanksgiving day blow up, we all wear the citizen police arm badge with pride.

I don't believe anyone should be excommunicated from a church for sin. I have more and more doubts related to historical items, but it's to the point where it almost doesn't matter. When I knocked on doors in Korea and they said they were Buddhist, I did the self righteous inquisition of why they were Buddhist, what was their doctrine, and how did they observe their Buddhist religion they were always exposed. They didn't do anything except go to temple once a year, they couldn't explain their doctrine, and they were only Buddhist because their father, father's father, father's father's father, etc were Buddhist. I've decided I'm Mormon in the same way and that's OK. My great great great great great great grandfather walked the plains. So, I'm a Mormon and my kids will be a Mormon.

I don't believe anyone should be kicked out of a university for normal college kid behavior. They especially shouldn't be kicked out ONLY when their normal college kid behavior gets reported in the media. I hate it when Bronco equates BYU football glory with the stone cut out of the mountain. But BYU football is in my blood, it's part of me, and I can't divorce it.

I'm a part of these institutions. If I don't like things, I will work from within to affect change.

This is the first year since my mission I skipped open to the public practices and haven't kept up on all the two deep maneuvering or done the preseason outlook analysis I love to do.

I was planning on selling my season tickets and boycotting the season as a protest to the Harvey treatment. I officially forgive BYU. I'm back in.

Let's talk starting linebackers.

Glad you're letting this go. Especially since, Loyd and Unga both withdrew.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I'm pissed at BYU for what they did to Harvey. It's been discussed. I don't mean to rehash. I'm pissed at what happened to Loyd. I hate that my school (and church) comes across as extremely Pharasaical institution. But the bottom line is it's part of me and always will be.

I don't agree with a lot of stuff that happens in my family of origin. But I don't divorce myself from my family. I'll always be a Santos, no matter what crap my parents or aunts and uncles or brothers or sisters might pull. And though we always likely have a Thanksgiving day blow up, we all wear the citizen police arm badge with pride.

I don't believe anyone should be excommunicated from a church for sin. I have more and more doubts related to historical items, but it's to the point where it almost doesn't matter. When I knocked on doors in Korea and they said they were Buddhist, I did the self righteous inquisition of why they were Buddhist, what was their doctrine, and how did they observe their Buddhist religion they were always exposed. They didn't do anything except go to temple once a year, they couldn't explain their doctrine, and they were only Buddhist because their father, father's father, father's father's father, etc were Buddhist. I've decided I'm Mormon in the same way and that's OK. My great great great great great great grandfather walked the plains. So, I'm a Mormon and my kids will be a Mormon.

I don't believe anyone should be kicked out of a university for normal college kid behavior. They especially shouldn't be kicked out ONLY when their normal college kid behavior gets reported in the media. I hate it when Bronco equates BYU football glory with the stone cut out of the mountain. But BYU football is in my blood, it's part of me, and I can't divorce it.

I'm a part of these institutions. If I don't like things, I will work from within to affect change.

This is the first year since my mission I skipped open to the public practices and haven't kept up on all the two deep maneuvering or done the preseason outlook analysis I love to do.

I was planning on selling my season tickets and boycotting the season as a protest to the Harvey treatment. I officially forgive BYU. I'm back in.

Let's talk starting linebackers.
      I knew you would give in, you are a pussy. Luckily, the linebackers at the BYU are not pussies! Rejoice the Jay is King!
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

While I agree with you in principle, it's pretty hard to talk around the fact that attendance at BYU is voluntary, and each admitted student agrees to be kicked out if s/he breaks the honor code.

I find it somewhat humorous that Harvey is taking the Honor Code in better stride than many of his fans (myself included).
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah
          The elder in my mission with the highest number of baptisms was sent home for fornication. They totally should have let that guy stay. Consider all of the people who weren't baptised because they sent him home.
          Hey, back in the day a mission was the solution for that problem.

Comment

I don't think you were caught up in a momentary forgiveness spasm. I think that no matter how much you're pissed and want to disassociate from BYU, when the mornings start feeling the frost of fall, when the days get shorter, when the local high school marching band starts practicing fight songs on the practice field, and the air smells like apples and pumpkins, it's fall, it's football season and you love all things BYU.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I don't think you were caught up in a momentary forgiveness spasm. I think that no matter how much you're pissed and want to disassociate from BYU, when the mornings start feeling the frost of fall, when the days get shorter, when the local high school marching band starts practicing fight songs on the practice field, and the air smells like apples and pumpkins, it's fall, it's football season and you love all things BYU.
              I always TELL them its like apples and pumpkins but no one ever agrees!
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                I always TELL them its like apples and pumpkins but no one ever agrees!
                you and Robert Frost.

Comment

I agree with you on Unga. But Loyd seems like a different case. He was kicked off the team, not the school, or so I thought. That was a Dave Rose decision, not an HC decision.

Comment

Gahd your hubby is one lucky man, to think it was wasted on a Ute!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        I agree with you on Unga. But Loyd seems like a different case. He was kicked off the team, not the school, or so I thought. That was a Dave Rose decision, not an HC decision.
                        When one decides to take an irrational approach towards the HC, or really any subject, one can easily convince themselves of many things. Methinks that Jay is really trolling in a wickedly decieving way and is pretty much a bizarro caricature of the stereotypical ALUF.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Glad you're letting this go. Especially since, Loyd and Unga both withdrew.
                          lol they both withdrew. Like all those defendants in Stalin's show trials used to magically confess.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                            When one decides to take an irrational approach towards the HC, or really any subject, one can easily convince themselves of many things. Methinks that Jay is really trolling in a wickedly decieving way and is pretty much a bizarro caricature of the stereotypical ALUF.
                            No I'm truly bizarro ALUF. I blame Ty Detmer, Chad Lewis, Luke Staley, Jimmer, my dad, my mission president, Stephen Robinson, LDS apologetics, Bart Ehrman, and the New Testament Jesus. They all have responsibility in turning me into this.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              No I'm truly bizarro ALUF. I blame Ty Detmer, Chad Lewis, Luke Staley, Jimmer, my dad, my mission president, Stephen Robinson, LDS apologetics, Bart Ehrman, and the New Testament Jesus. They all have responsibility in turning me into this.
                              Luke Staley made me a King Agrippa gay man, and that's all I got to say about that!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X