Trapped Chilean Miners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapped Chilean Miners

In case you haven't been following the story, 33 miners were found alive, still trapped, over 2,000 feet below the surface in a mine in Chile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11075756

The men have survived for 19 days underground.

What gets me is this: can you imagine the horror of being in a 150 sq ft room with 33 other men, at a constant temperature of 88-90F, with no bathroom, pitch dark, and knowing that it would be 3-4 months until you were rescued?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    In case you haven't been following the story, 33 miners were found alive, still trapped, over 2,000 feet below the surface in a mine in Chile:

What gets me is this: can you imagine the horror of being in a 150 sq ft room with 33 other men, at a constant temperature of 88-90F, with no bathroom, pitch dark, and knowing that it would be 3-4 months until you were rescued?
    Pure Hell, but it beats the alternative, I suppose.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

My favorite quote from the New York Times Twitter feed: "Trapped Miners say They're Still Alive"

What the hell did we expect them to say? It reminded me of the Holy Grail - "I'm not dead yet!"
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

The mental toll that this would take on a person is incredible. I can only imagine their minds are all wondering if the mine shaft they are in will hold up when they start drilling a 26 inch hold to be used to pull them out. Crazy! Add on top of that the drilling will most likely shake loose rocks and other debris as well as bring a bunch of drilling debris with it when it finally breaks through to the emergency shaft.

Today is definitely a good day to be a CPA and not a miner!
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

As someone who grew up in coal country, and who's father has spent years underground, this story makes me sick inside on too many levels to describe.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
            Pure Hell, but it beats the alternative, I suppose.
            Spirit world nirvana?
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize it was only 150 sq feet. So basically 12 feet by 12 feet? for 33 guys? I don't see how they're all gonna survive 3-4 months. I really hope they do and can figure out a faster way, but wow.

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I've been keeping an eye on the story. Simply amazing.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                  Wow, I didn't realize it was only 150 sq feet. So basically 12 feet by 12 feet? for 33 guys? I don't see how they're all gonna survive 3-4 months. I really hope they do and can figure out a faster way, but wow.
                  Well, this CNN article says it's, 530 sq feet. I read something this morning that said 50 sq meters. That relieves me a little. At least they're not on top of each other.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/am...9wob&wom=false
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Well, this CNN article says it's, 530 sq feet. I read something this morning that said 50 sq meters. That relieves me a little. At least they're not on top of each other.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/am...9wob&wom=false
                    Yeah, that's a little better, but still incredible. Hopefully they can get some reading material/entertainment down there to keep them sane. My apartment is about 900 sq feet and having 15 people in there gets a little hectic. I wish there were something I could do to help these poor guys.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Spirit world nirvana?
                      I see where you're going SU...(can we let Norberg go??) No, I was thinking more along the lines of having 2,000 feet of loose rock stacked on top of you while you slowly suffocate over a 20 hour period.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                        I see where you're going SU...(can we let Norberg go??)

Oh sure, you can try toi ignore it, but it will still keep you out of a BCS conference. Just ask SU.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Oh sure, you can try toi ignore it, but it will still keep you out of a BCS conference. Just ask SU.
                          If it gives any of you solace, you caused me to reflect on my opinions of the Norberg incident. My opinions may be strong, but they're not ironclad.

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                            Yeah, that's a little better, but still incredible. Hopefully they can get some reading material/entertainment down there to keep them sane. My apartment is about 900 sq feet and having 15 people in there gets a little hectic. I wish there were something I could do to help these poor guys.
                            I heard this morning that they were passing notes through the drilled hole to families and friends adn that they are trying to get radios to the men so they can talk with their families. That would definitely help with the mental state.

I would think they would also be drilling another small hole in addition to the rescue hole so they could circulate air (not sure if this is actually happening).

I have personally been in a coal mine around Price, UT. In fact I was in a mine that was operated by the same company that operated the mine that collapsed a couple years ago. I'm not generally claustrophobic and being in the mine wasn't that scary but I can imagine just how frightening it would be if there was a cave in.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              I heard this morning that they were passing notes through the drilled hole to families and friends adn that they are trying to get radios to the men so they can talk with their families. That would definitely help with the mental state.

I would think they would also be drilling another small hole in addition to the rescue hole so they could circulate air (not sure if this is actually happening).

I have personally been in a coal mine around Price, UT. In fact I was in a mine that was operated by the same company that operated the mine that collapsed a couple years ago. I'm not generally claustrophobic and being in the mine wasn't that scary but I can imagine just how frightening it would be if there was a cave in.
                              Apparently they have ventilation and a tank of water.

Comment

Working...
                              X