IPhone v. Home Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPhone v. Home Internet

I've packed up my last box and am now about to be completely moved in to my new apartment on the north side of Chicago. It's a lovely little studio apartment that makes you buy your own internet. I looked at the prices of the two major ISPs in the area (Comcast and RCN) and the monthly rate is about the same as the data plan on an iPhone would be. I'm tempted to just get an iPhone instead and tethering.

Thoughts?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Originally posted by All-American View Post
    I've packed up my last box and am now about to be completely moved in to my new apartment on the north side of Chicago. It's a lovely little studio apartment that makes you buy your own internet. I looked at the prices of the two major ISPs in the area (Comcast and RCN) and the monthly rate is about the same as the data plan on an iPhone would be. I'm tempted to just get an iPhone instead and tethering.

Thoughts?
    Do you do anything on the internet besides surf? I do waaaay to much to ever rely on just 3G speed.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Get a Sprint Evo instead. It can be a WiFi hotspot. And if 4G is in Chicago, it's likely just as fast as what you'd get from Comcast, etc.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Thoughts?
        Go with local ISP or Sprint's unlimited data plan.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
          Get a Sprint Evo instead. It can be a WiFi hotspot. And if 4G is in Chicago, it's likely just as fast as what you'd get from Comcast, etc.
          For the time being, I'm tied to AT&T. Mine is one of several lines in a family plan.

Comment

ATT's new wireless plans suck. $25 for 2 GB is nothing. If you're tethering they charge $45 for the same 2 GB. Plus if you go over (and you will if you tether, pretty easily), then another $25 for another 2 GB. Gidget said she didn't want a smartphone when we were looking at phones because she didn't think she would use the features and data that much. Her first month she used almost 2 GB. I used 5.3 GB.

Sprint's unlimited data is truly unlimited right now. And with 4G in your market and tethering available and wifi hotspot capanility (for additional monthly fee) this is a no-brainer. Or I'd go with the local ISP.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Don't you have to jail-break your iPhone in order to tether? You planning to do that?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Don't you have to jail-break your iPhone in order to tether? You planning to do that?
                AT&T has a $20/mo tethering option to which you would otherwise have to subscribe.

The local ISP, by the way, is $30/mo for 1.5 mbps.

Comment

AT&T has a $20/mo tethering option to which you would otherwise have to subscribe.

Surfah is exactly right, you are going to go way over your usage by tethering your iphone with att's current plans.
                  "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

All right, you've talked me off the ledge. Wild idea officially abandoned. Local ISP wins.

Comment

Or you can jailbreak and skip AT&Ts rediculously priced teathering charges.

Comment

Originally posted by 1337coug View Post
                        Or you can jailbreak and skip AT&Ts rediculously priced teathering charges.
                        He'd still get hammered on data charges though. The cult of iPhone allows AT&T to get away with no unlimited data plans. Ridiculous if you ask me.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                          He'd still get hammered on data charges though. The cult of iPhone allows AT&T to get away with no unlimited data plans. Ridiculous if you ask me.
                          UNLESS you are already grandfathered in. I still have unlimited but only because my original contract date was three years ago.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            UNLESS you are already grandfathered in. I still have unlimited but only because my original contract date was three years ago.
                            Lots of AT&T customers have not been grandfathered in. Especially those who have upgraded phones.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Ap...t/td-p/1938562
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              I am grandfathered in as well. I have a jailbroken 3GS and use the PDANet app for tethering. It works ok. I use it a lot when traveling but not really otherwise.

Just get yourself a high wattage wifi adaptor with a high gain antenna. Borrow some of your neighbor's open wifi.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X