BYU's media coverage and perception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU's media coverage and perception

I haven't had much time to pay attention to how the possible independence move by BYU is being covered in the media. ESPN has given it quite a bit of coverage (CFL, Radio, website, polls). Media coverage isn't necessarily an indication of the viability or possible success of BYU's football program, it does give us some indication of how it is perceived. And unfortunately perception is king in college football. I'm not too confident in the upside this whole chain of events has PR wise. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the the local and national media and what sort of spin it is given.

I'm in Vegas right now and local radio has been lashing out at BYU. There was an article in the Fresno Bee yesterday that basically claimed Fresno State saved the MWC from the underhandedness of BYU. I have a suspicion that the Utah media have a different take on Fresno and Nevada.

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
    I haven't had much time to pay attention to how the possible independence move by BYU is being covered in the media. ESPN has given it quite a bit of coverage (CFL, Radio, website, polls). Media coverage isn't necessarily an indication of the viability or possible success of BYU's football program, it does give us some indication of how it is perceived. And unfortunately perception is king in college football. I'm not too confident in the upside this whole chain of events has PR wise. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the the local and national media and what sort of spin it is given.

I'm in Vegas right now and local radio has been lashing out at BYU. There was an article in the Fresno Bee yesterday that basically claimed Fresno State saved the MWC from the underhandedness of BYU. I have a suspicion that the Utah media have a different take on Fresno and Nevada.
    Do you think the ESPN/CFL coverage has been negative? I don't. A few little snarky "they're no Notre Dame" remarks, but a lot more "good for them", "nice positioning for the B12" remarks.

Of course Vegas and Fresno (and Dallas) hate it. What other take could they possibly have?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Do you think the ESPN/CFL coverage has been negative? I don't. A few little snarky "they're no Notre Dame" remarks, but a lot more "good for them", "nice positioning for the B12" remarks.

Of course Vegas and Fresno (and Dallas) hate it. What other take could they possibly have?
      ESPN has been pretty even handed in their coverage on official articles and on CFL. But most personalities that editorialize on the topic seem to think it is a dumb move (Cowherd, Torico, Herbstreit, etc). This is all to be expected especially since the (seemingly) overwhelming consensus among pundits is that Notre Dame should join a conference. Of course BYU is going to be spun negatively in Fort Worth, Nevada, Fresno, Idaho, New Mexico, etc., But I wonder what perspective people in the South or Midwest have? I do worry about the Dallas perspective.

Comment

Working...
      X