PDA

View Full Version : BYU Men's Volleyball Coach Fired for NCAA Violations

KillerDog
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I haven't yet heard the official news but a few days ago I started hearing rumors that Shawn Patchell had been forbidden from campus for a month. I called a few players and it seems he had also been forbidden from talking to players. Patchell was intimately involved in the fiasco that got Tom Peterson fired and many believe Tom fell on his sword for not overseeing Patchell sufficiently but it wsa actually Patchell who violated NCAA rules with reckless abandon. Can BYU revive this once proud program. National Championships in 1999, 2001 and 2004 created an impressive atmosphere in Provo's volleyball community and the last few years the teams have rivaled the 2001 and 2004 teams in talent level. Despite that talent level, BYU has not made a deep and confident run. This next year's squad is no exception. The only question mark is at setter. Will BYU's administration empower another national championship run, will they dilly dally in the decision making process and waste time with an interim coach, or, even worse, will they do what they did with Women's volleyball and hire a talentless wannabe as head coach because "they felt good about their interview with her."

morerootbeer
10-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I must admit that it being October 2010, I didn't know the BYU men's volleyball program was without a significant leader/coach. So will BYU's AD continue to "dilly dally" as K-Dog states? It has been sheer torture watching the coaching of the Women's VB team...what a waste of time watching a coach that doesn't know how to coach and bring the level of play to where the last coach had left it...an elite 8 showing. Watching Women's VB is like watching a ship sail without the rudder...when will someone in the AD Dept bring someone with some actual VB Coaching ability????
Painful...

Surfah
10-26-2010, 06:14 AM
I hadn't heard that about Patchell. Sad if true. I have been away from anyone in the program for a few years now so I have no inside scoop. I really like Rob, but I am not sure he's capable of being a HC, particularly of a program like BYU. At least at this point in his career.

What happened with Wilton? I know he came in last year as an assistant to the women's team. And now I guess he's back in Hawaii not coaching? I know he was rumored to have interviewed for the women's job about 5 years ago. Again, I don't know what happened with that.