The ESPN Factor in Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ESPN Factor in Independence

IMO, ESPN has a decent incentive for BYU to go Independent for football, and with the WAC in basketball. They include:

1) Strong national pull thanks to the LDS Church
    2) Ties to (a now Boise-less) WAC
    3) Minimized broadcasting costs, thanks to BYU's facilities

With Boise (clearly the crown jewel) no longer in the WAC, the TV deal that ESPN has with that conference is worthless for football. People will watch Boise games because they are relevant. BYU, thanks to its ties to the church and program history, can carry similar clout, although Boise has absolutely accomplished more the last 5-10 years.

ESPN will likely enter into an agreement with BYU to broadcast a set number of games each year. With BYU naturally having an agreement with the WAC for basketball (and other sports) I would expect that part of the deal would be that BYU would agree to play a few WAC teams in Football every year. Utah State likely a yearly commitment, and one to two additional games. This works out great for ESPN, because they already have the deal with the WAC, and this will likely help them fill out their Thursday and Friday Night Football lineups. For a minimal fee, they are able to essentially replace Boise's role as the key carrier of the WAC. Yes, it may mean an additional big game, like Texas, every year or so for the Cougs. But I don't think it is going to lead to playing multiple BCS caliber teams every year thanks to our deal with ESPN. It likely means we'll be used to boost the ratings and appeal of WAC games that will no longer include Boise.

Just another piece that I think merits some consideration.

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    Just another piece that I think merits some consideration a whole nother thread.
    Fixed
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

IMO, ESPN has a decent incentive for BYU to go Independent for football, and with the WAC in basketball. They include:

1) Strong national pull thanks to the LDS Church
      2) Ties to (a now Boise-less) WAC
      3) Minimized broadcasting costs, thanks to BYU's facilities

With Boise (clearly the crown jewel) no longer in the WAC, the TV deal that ESPN has with that conference is worthless for football. People will watch Boise games because they are relevant. BYU, thanks to its ties to the church and program history, can carry similar clout, although Boise has absolutely accomplished more the last 5-10 years.

ESPN will likely enter into an agreement with BYU to broadcast a set number of games each year. With BYU naturally having an agreement with the WAC for basketball (and other sports) I would expect that part of the deal would be that BYU would agree to play a few WAC teams in Football every year. Utah State likely a yearly commitment, and one to two additional games. This works out great for ESPN, because they already have the deal with the WAC, and this will likely help them fill out their Thursday and Friday Night Football lineups. For a minimal fee, they are able to essentially replace Boise's role as the key carrier of the WAC. Yes, it may mean an additional big game, like Texas, every year or so for the Cougs. But I don't think it is going to lead to playing multiple BCS caliber teams every year thanks to our deal with ESPN. It likely means we'll be used to boost the ratings and appeal of WAC games that will no longer include Boise.

Just another piece that I think merits some consideration.
      If that is how it comes down, I would put the "suck" label on it. Sure BYU makes more money, but it does nothing to provide the fans with a better product entertainment wise in LES. My hopes that with a tie to ESPN, ESPN would help with scheduling.

If this BYU thing brings in more money, but dummies down the schedule even more, my butt will permanently be on the couch watching games and they can kiss my meager $1,000 a year CC dues good bye.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        If that is how it comes down, I would put the "suck" label on it. Sure BYU makes more money, but it does nothing to provide the fans with a better product entertainment wise in LES. My hopes that with a tie to ESPN, ESPN would help with scheduling.

If this BYU thing brings in more money, but dummies down the schedule even more, my butt will permanently be on the couch watching games and they can kiss my meager $1,000 a year CC dues good bye.
        I imagine that the schedule at its worst would be equal to what we currently have. 1-2 big games 2-4 decent games and 5-8 crap games. There is a chance that it gets better but I don't see how it can get much worse than the bottom half of the mwc + Utah State
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          I imagine that the schedule at its worst would be equal to what we currently have. 1-2 big games 2-4 decent games and 5-8 crap games. There is a chance that it gets better but I don't see how it can get much worse than the bottom half of the mwc + Utah State
          Only if you lose TCU and BSU and AFA and your replacements are New Mexico St., San Jose St. and La. Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            It gets worse because you don't have the TCU and Boise good games guaranteed every season, IMO. TCU and Boise right now, and for the last five years, have been top 25 caliber teams.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              Only if you lose TCU and BSU and AFA and your replacements are New Mexico St., San Jose St. and La. Tech.
              I imagine we will still be able to schedule teams with the caliber of TCU, BSU, and AF. Maybe not them specifically every year but BYu can get it done. If they don't it is laziness pure and simple.

Comment

It gets worse because you don't have the TCU and Boise good games guaranteed every season, IMO. TCU and Boise right now, and for the last five years, have been top 25 caliber teams.
                Nothing would be guaranteed like a conference schedule, but I think BYU could get teams of similar caliber on the schedule. Is it more work? yes. Is it possible? yes. Will it happen? That is up to the AD.

Comment

Working...
                X