Hypothetical BYU scheduling as an independent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical BYU scheduling as an independent

I'm gaming best-case here on the assumption (obviously unproven and temporarily unprovable) that if BYU goes indy it's in part because the rumored thing with ESPN was real - and the rumor (which I have from some of the most credible rumor mongers in the business) was that ESPN was talking more money for a 3-5 game annual deal with BYU for more money than BYU gets from the MTN for the entire conference schedule.

So let's just say that ESPN partners with BYU for four games a year, and they're likely to be all or nearly all BCS opponents.

Then let's say BYU adds the service academies - entirely feasible. People who think AFA would refuse to do that are being ridiculous. No way they'd say no to the only team that sells out their stadium every time.

Then you add USU and Utah.

At this point you're up to 9 games annually and with a little Hawaii here, a bit of CSU or New Mexico there or whatever - you've got a manageable annual sched.

Obviously - BYU walks out with no deal with ESPN, it's junk swinging in the wind and nothing set for 2011 and announces independence then some of us just might shoot ourselves.

We'll see how it unfolds.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
    that ESPN was talking more money for a 3-5 game annual deal with BYU for more money than BYU gets from the MTN for the entire conference schedule.
    BYU got as much for Oklahoma last year as they got from the MWC.

A contract for local rights with KSL is guestimated (by Locke, for what it's worth) to be at least 2 times what BYU is getting from the MWC.

PPV is more money.

Each game on ESPN (probably a Thursday game or two) is more money.

BYU will make A LOT more $$$ as an independent than from the MWC. BYU's been carrying the MWC since its inception. The majority of the TV money has been because BYU was in the league. It's long past time to leave...

Comment

1) Utah
      2) Utah State
      3) Boise State / TCU (they'd love the rivalry and the $$$ - ESPN could make it happen)
      4) UNLV/CSU/Wyoming
      5) IAA school
      6) Army
      7) Navy
      8) AFA
      9) ND (thank you ESPN)
      10) PAC-12 school (thank you ESPN)
      11) Big-10 school (thank you ESPN)
      12) ACC school (thank you ESPN)

Depending on the randomness of scheduling and how good teams vary from year to year, that's generally a better schedule than BYU has ever played. And with ESPN helping scheduling, it's very doable...

Comment

If you want to see what BYU's schedule will look like as an independent, just take a look at Army and Navy's schedule and you will have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It really isn't an improvement from what they currently have.

I really don't understand the assumption that ESPN will help BYU schedule 4 games a year.
        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
          If you want to see what BYU's schedule will look like as an independent, just take a look at Army and Navy's schedule and you will have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It really isn't an improvement from what they currently have.

I really don't understand the assumption that ESPN will help BYU schedule 4 games a year.
          I agree with Bald Bull. I've been saying this for a while.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
            I agree with Bald Bull. I've been saying this for a while.
            Yes you have and I will give you credit for making me think this way. I never thought going independent was a good thing and when you first posted this about the schedule, I couldn't help but agree with you.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Never underestimate the power of Bristol. They've made Carmelo a legend by creating the elite 12,000-3,000-1,500 club.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                Never underestimate the power of Bristol. They've made Carmelo a legend by creating the elite 12,000-3,000-1,500 club.
                That power of Bristol pretty much runs sports. So if they get a crazy idea and run with it you never know what will happen.
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Yes you have and I will give you credit for making me think this way. I never thought going independent was a good thing and when you first posted this about the schedule, I couldn't help but agree with you.
                  I will concede that if ESPN gets involved and creates some made for tv October and November games for BYU, things could be better. But I highly doubt that will happen. I just don't see ESPN getting highly involved with BYU and their schedule.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I will concede that if ESPN gets involved and creates some made for tv October and November games for BYU, things could be better. But I highly doubt that will happen. I just don't see ESPN getting highly involved with BYU and their schedule.
                    So BCS schools are going to take a break in the middle of their conference schedule to play BYU because the game will be aired on ESPN?

Comment

ESPN wants BYU's TV truck - especially in September and October before MLB finishes and HD resources are freed up. ESPN will make a lot of concessions to get the use of that truck, especially from a location as 'centrally' located as Provo. Centrally sounds funny, but they're within a days drive to any Big-10, Big-12 or PAC-12 school. If a game suddenly looks like it's the game-to-watch, but they hadn't planned on it being a big game, another western hdtv truck would be invaluable to them...

Comment

Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
                        So BCS schools are going to take a break in the middle of their conference schedule to play BYU because the game will be aired on ESPN?
                        If ESPN is giving them $$$ and putting them in a good time-slot, ummm - yeah, of course they would...

Comment

That's my point. Unless ESPN is offering some pretty hefty cash to other programs/conferences, it isn't happening. Hence the Army/Navy schedule reference that HL made. BYU is not Notre Dame. They're not getting decent programs to come visit during conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                            If ESPN is giving them $$$ and putting them in a good time-slot, ummm - yeah, of course they would...
                            Of course.

Minus the SEC who has a deal with CBS, and the Big 10 which has their own network, and the Big 12 and Pac 12 which are working on their own networks...

Comment

Of course.

Minus the SEC who has a deal with CBS, and the Big 10 which has their own network, and the Big 12 and Pac 12 which are working on their own networks...
                              Yesh. you're right. ESPN doesn't show ANY teams from good football leagues. It's all WAC, SunBelt and ConfUSA games all the time - when they're not showing I-AA games that is.

Mark this one down - BYU will make AT LEAST 5X what they currently make from the MWC - $7.5 million+ a year. The more ESPN is involved, the more they'll make.

Comment

Working...
                              X