Travis Bright had a really good day at the combine yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travis Bright had a really good day at the combine yesterday

He weighed in at 316. Did 34 reps at 225 which is actually bad for him. Had a 35" vert and ran a 5.29 forty. I think he moved into being drafted in late rounds. I thought that he would end up signing as a free agent but testing like he did, IMO he improved his stock a ton.

I never would have thought after watching him the last couple of years he would run or jump like he did yesterday. I guess that when you finally get a trainer that knows what he is doing it shows in the way you move.
    "Take it to the Bank"

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    He weighed in at 316. Did 34 reps at 225 which is actually bad for him. Had a 35" vert and ran a 5.29 forty. I think he moved into being drafted in late rounds. I thought that he would end up signing as a free agent but testing like he did, IMO he improved his stock a ton.

I never would have thought after watching him the last couple of years he would run or jump like he did yesterday. I guess that when you finally get a trainer that knows what he is doing it shows in the way you move.
    I'm surprised he was only 316. I wasn't surprised by his vert. Haven't you seen the picture of him after Beck to Harline? He's a good 30 inches in the air. He was always talked about as the most talented guy on the line but he had major health issues his entire career.

So not an Omer fan?
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      So not an Omer fan?
      Example #2: Collie runs a 4.55 this morning. Last summer he ran in the high 4.6's. He was able to cut almost of tenth of a second off his 40 time working with someone that knew what they were doing.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        Example #2: Collie runs a 4.55 this morning. Last summer he ran in the high 4.6's. He was able to cut almost of tenth of a second off his 40 time working with someone that knew what they were doing.
        I'm not defending Omer. Outside of Harline, seems like BYU guys do well with the strength portion of the combine every year. They also do poorly running every year.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
          I'm not defending Omer. Outside of Harline, seems like BYU guys do well with the strength portion of the combine every year. They also do poorly running every year.
          I wonder, and am slightly wondering aloud, if BYU recognizes that they will never get the fastest guys to come and play at BYU. Since that isn't going to happen, instead of focusing on speed and quickness, they go after strong guys and make them as strong as they can be. Honestly, I'm not sure that is the way that I'd go, I think I'd put an emphasis on speed and speed training and make the guys you had able to maximize their speed, but that is just me.

Comment

Brights vert was top 10 overall at the combine not just among lineman.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Brights vert was top 10 overall at the combine not just among lineman.
              How does a vertical jump translate to the football field for an offensive lineman? I can see how it would for a defender or a WR, but I have no idea how it would for a lineman/RB/QB.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                How does a vertical jump translate to the football field for an offensive lineman? I can see how it would for a defender or a WR, but I have no idea how it would for a lineman/RB/QB.
                Explosiveness. Driving off the line. Particularly useful for run blocking.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

I guess for OLs it's just seen as another indicator of overall athleticism rather than something they actually do on the field.

Comment

Think about the amount of explosiveness he must have in his legs in order to get 316 pounds 35.5" inches in the air.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                    X