Offensive Line Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Line Starts

The Wall Street Journal had a great article a year or so ago on offensive line starts. The article concluded that the higher the number a team's offensive line has collectively, the better it's season is likely to be. Conversely, the lower the number, the less good the season is likely to be.

So, what are the collective number of offensive line starts for BYU and Utah entering 2010?

Utah = 98
    BYU = 64

The starts for some opposing teams:

TCU has 78
    Pitt has 39
    FSU has 142

Link to the WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ...891223207.html

Source for OL start stats (David Locke, I had to scroll down to find it):

http://twitter.com/lockedonsports
    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Isn't this just a way of saying the more experienced your OL, the better off you'll be? Not exactly ground breaking stuff.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

TEAMS TO WATCH O-LINE STARTS
      NotreDame 100
      Va Tech 100
      Texas 91
      Florida St. 86
      Michigan 75

TEAMS TO WORRY ABOUT O-LINE STARTS
      Oregon 20
      W Virginia 25
      Oklahoma 29
      PennState 39
      Alabama 50
      I'm not quite ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
        The Wall Street Journal had a great article a year or so ago on offensive line starts. The article concluded that the higher the number a team's offensive line has collectively, the better it's season is likely to be. Conversely, the lower the number, the less good the season is likely to be.

So, what are the collective number of offensive line starts for BYU and Utah entering 2010?

Utah = 98
        BYU = 64

TCU has 78
        Pitt has 39
        FSU has 142

Link to the WSJ article:

The article disproves its own theory with a tidy graphic to start the whole thing off, because it was written a year ago. With the advantage of hindsight, we can look at their predictions:

HTML Code:
        TEAMS TO WATCH	O-LINE STARTS	TEAMS TO WORRY ABOUT	O-LINE STARTS
        NotreDame	100	Oregon	     20
        Virginia Tech	100	West Virginia	25
        Texas	         91	Oklahoma	29
        Florida St.	86	PennState	39
        Michigan	75	Alabama	       50
        Of the 5 "teams to watch" because of all their O-line experience, Notre Dame and Fl St. were 6-6 and Michigan was 5-7.

Of the teams to worry about, Bama won the NC, Oregon won the PAC-10, W Virginia went 9-3, and Penn St. went 10-2.
        OK had a bad year, but still went 7-5 and I'd say that was much more due to their QB injury and OL injuries even after the linked article.

Comment

Well, 0 starts is a bad thing, but I think the law of diminishing value kicks in pretty quick after a few team starts.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Utah = 98
            BYU = 64

TCU has 78
            Pitt has 39
            FSU has 142

Link to the WSJ article:

What the stats are really indicating are that teams win more when their o-linemen don't blow assignments. Sacks and TFLs kill drives and you only have something like 10 drives a game. You can recover more easily from a receiver running the wrong route (unless the ball's already in the air) and even a RB hitting the wrong hole.

I'd be more interested in seeing the stats for the first half of the season juxtaposed with the o-line starts. It seems like o-lines solidify as the year wears on and there are less blown assignments. So the o-line starts figure becomes less of an indicator as the year goes on.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
              The article disproves its own theory with a tidy graphic to start the whole thing off, because it was written a year ago. With the advantage of hindsight, we can look at their predictions:

HTML Code:
              TEAMS TO WATCH	O-LINE STARTS	TEAMS TO WORRY ABOUT	O-LINE STARTS
              NotreDame	100	Oregon	     20
              Virginia Tech	100	West Virginia	25
              Texas	         91	Oklahoma	29
              Florida St.	86	PennState	39
              Michigan	75	Alabama	       50
              Of the 5 "teams to watch" because of all their O-line experience, Notre Dame and Fl St. were 6-6 and Michigan was 5-7.

Of the teams to worry about, Bama won the NC, Oregon won the PAC-10, W Virginia went 9-3, and Penn St. went 10-2.
              OK had a bad year, but still went 7-5 and I'd say that was much more due to their QB injury and OL injuries even after the linked article.
              I'm not sure why they pointed out Alabama. 50 can either mean one three year starter and one year starter returning, or it could mean that your entire o-line is coming back. I think a simple returning starter figure would be better.

Also, I can see this stat having some significance at the beginning of the season and not having much at all in the second half of the season. BYU beat Oklahoma because of OU's o-line missing blocking assignments.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                Also, I can see this stat having some significance at the beginning of the season and not having much at all in the second half of the season. BYU beat Oklahoma because of OU's o-line missing blocking assignments.
                I suppose we can agree that is ONE of the reasons.

Comment

I suppose we can agree that is ONE of the reasons.
                  Not all reasons are created equal. Getting your QB sidelined is a pretty big reason.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                    Not all reasons are created equal. Getting your QB sidelined is a pretty big reason.
                    I don't know, in Jacob's world getting off the bus and walking into the stadium is also important- right up there with sidelining the future #1 NFL pick.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      I don't know, in Jacob's world getting off the bus and walking into the stadium is also important- right up there with sidelining the future #1 NFL pick.
                      Do you guys even bother to read what you are responding to?

Comment

Utah = 98
                        BYU = 64

TCU has 78
                        Pitt has 39
                        FSU has 142

Link to the WSJ article:

The WSJ has done this for a couple years, and I'm always interested in reading it, but I remember CSU had a ton of starts returning last year as well, and it landed them in the MWC cellar.

It's a decent indicator when looking ahead, but turnover margin in hindsight is far more telling when it comes to expected W-L.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                          It's a decent indicator when looking ahead, but turnover margin in hindsight is far more telling when it comes to expected W-L.
                          Which is not nearly as telling as pass efficiency differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            Which is not nearly as telling as pass efficiency differential.
                            Are these stats really that telling when they come from previous seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              Are these stats really that telling when they come from previous seasons?
                              Oh, from previous seasons? Not really.

Comment

Working...
                              X