The D News will soon be dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D News will soon be dead

The D News hasn't been the same since the departure of John Hughes. Hughes was a legit editor, and not just a stuffed shirt.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/c...staff.html.csp
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

The Home Alone series will never be the same again either.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      The Home Alone series will never be the same again either.
      Theft! and an insult to Mr. Mom!

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=5783305

Comment

I guess it depends on how you define "theft".

Comment

I see that Wrubell is starting as a contributor there.

Does that mean Harmon is gone? I assume they can take Wrubell sharing him with KSL and can let Harmon go as he was full-time just at the DesNews.

Edit: The site is down right now but here's a link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-to-debut.html
          Last edited by beefytee; 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM.

Comment

They've been gradually easing up on Dick Harmon's responsibilities as a beat writer with Jeff Call and Jim Rayburn taking on the football and basketball responsibilities respectively. I don't know how much longer Dick plans on being in the newspaper biz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              The pot calling the kettle black?
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                I didn't see it. I almost never go in the Back Fence.

Regardless, I was trying to be funny.
                Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-16-2010, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I've been annoyed with the DesNews since last May when messed around with their politics desk and reassigned Bob Bernick and Lee Davidson. Davidson did have a great article yesterday on a Human Trafficking issue at Circle 4 farms in Milford. I like Matt Canham at the Trib well enough, though.

Comment

If the church is getting out of the news business, how long before it decides to get out of the higher education business too?

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      If the church is getting out of the news business, how long before it decides to get out of the higher education business too?
                      Are enrollments down or something?

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Are enrollments down or something?
                        No, but when you're paying 70% of the tuition, high enrollment isn't necessarily that great, either.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          No, but when you're paying 70% of the tuition, high enrollment isn't necessarily that great, either.
                          I don't buy that 70% number. But we have no way to know.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            Help me understand how these two issues are related.

Newspapers are folding everywhere. This is not at all unique to SLC or the DesNews.

It made me sick when they hired Joe Cannon. Maybe the ship was going to sink regardless, but he seemed completely unqualified.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Robin's post does raise a good point, by the way. When your job is to provide a certain service, and your devotion to a certain way of thinking causes your ability to provide that service to suffer, it's time to rethink something. Sometimes, the answer will be to get out of that line of work. More often, the answer will be to re-evaluate your modus operandi.

I personally believe that the commandments are, generally speaking, a guidebook to success. If keeping the commandments prevent you from succeeding in a certain venture, it is altogether appropriate to entertain the possibility that your idea of how to keep a certain commandment needs some readjusting.

The newspaper seems to have forgotten that its job is to keep its subscribers informed of world events, not just to provide favorable press for the church. If BYU ever forgets that its mission is to provide its students with a world-class education which will prepare them to contribute to the world's work force, you can expect it to crumble as well.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                              X