The Heaps phenomenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heaps phenomenon

This Jake Heaps phenomenon is interesting to watch. Seemingly, 100% of BYU fans desperately want him to be named a true freshman starter. Why? If Whit announced Griff Robles will start, I'd say, "Great, he's our best guy. Whit knows best." I think my point of view is the natural one. What's so strange about BYU fans and Heaps, is the unanimity of desire that Bronco do this unusual thing and start this slight underdeveloped kid as a true freshman.

Again, Why? I think BYU fans crave a messiah figure. Here's the irony: three years ago, Munns was a terrific recruit. He went on a mission, and now he's Leah and Heaps (who shirked a mission) is Rachel and Jesus wrapped into one. 14 million BYU fans (that's how many there are, right?) are rooting for this fine young man who followed the prophet's admonition to fall on his face.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

there are so many reasons to like you.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      This Jake Heaps phenomenon is interesting to watch. Seemingly, 100% of BYU fans desperately want him to be named a true freshman starter. Why? If Whit announced Griff Robles will start, I'd say, "Great, he's our best guy. Whit knows best." I think my point of view is the natural one. What's so strange about BYU fans and Heaps, is the unanimity of desire that Bronco do this unusual thing and start this slight underdeveloped kid as a true freshman.

Again, Why? I think BYU fans crave a messiah figure. Here's the irony: three years ago, Munns was a terrific recruit. He went on a mission, and now he's Leah and Heaps (who shirked a mission) is Rachel and Jesus wrapped into one. 14 million BYU fans (that's how many there are, right?) are rooting for this fine young man who followed the prophet's admonition to fall on his face.
      This reminds me of the Riley Nelson caper from a couple of years ago. It has sort of fallen into the memory hole.

Nelson played his freshman year at Utah State, then Bronco signed him while Riley was on his mission (or shortly after he came back, I don't recall). I posted something on the Ute board about how I thought that was less than classy on Bronco's part. My post got linked to on CB and caused quite a firestorm. Many people were disappointed in me for being so ... so mean to Bronco.

I do recall that our dear Goatnapper had great fun with the whole thing and mocked me mercilessly and most cruelly (I have since forgiven him) because Riley Nelson was not really a top-drawer QB and would be lucky to play second string at BYU. Therefore, Ute fans who criticized Bronco for taking advantage of Nelson's mission to spirit him away from USU were [insert favorite Goat attack on masculinity and basic intelligence].

I thought about all that today when I read that Nelson's battling with the Great Jake Heaps for BYU's starting QB job this fall.
      Last edited by LA Ute; 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        This reminds me of the Riley Nelson caper from a couple of years ago. It has sort of fallen into the memory hole.

Nelson played his freshman year at Utah State, then Bronco signed him while he was on his mission (or shortly after he came back, I don't recall). I posted something on the Ute board about how I thought that was less than classy on Bronco's part. My post got linked to on CB and caused quite a firestorm.

I do recall that our dear Goatnapper had great fun with the whole thing and mocked me most cruelly (I have since forgiven him) because Riley Nelson was not really a top-drawer QB and would be lucky to play second string at BYU. Therefore, Ute fans who criticized Bronco for taking advantage of Nelson's mission to spirit him away from USU were less than real men.

I thought about all that today when I read that Nelson's "battling" with the Great Jake Heaps for BYU's starting QB job this fall.
        Fixed that for you. Kind of fun that you're so bitter about the reaction to your judgmental post that you're actually cheering for a BYU player to do well, all just to spite BYU fans.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Nelson played his freshman year at Utah State, then Bronco signed him while Riley was on his mission (or shortly after he came back, I don't recall). I posted something on the Ute board about how I thought that was less than classy on Bronco's part. My post got linked to on CB and caused quite a firestorm. Many people were disappointed in me for being so ... so mean to Bronco.

I do recall that our dear Goatnapper had great fun with the whole thing and mocked me mercilessly and most cruelly (I have since forgiven him) because Riley Nelson was not really a top-drawer QB and would be lucky to play second string at BYU. Therefore, Ute fans who criticized Bronco for taking advantage of Nelson's mission to spirit him away from USU were [insert favorite Goat attack on masculinity and basic intelligence].

I thought about all that today when I read that Nelson's battling with the Great Jake Heaps for BYU's starting QB job this fall.
          I love BYU's contradictions. Contradictory hypocrisies.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

As an active LDS Ute fan, I'm sure you were very disappointed in Bronco Mendenhall.

Comment

I love BYU's contradictions. Contradictory hypocrisies.
              And I love your ability to mock the monolithic mindset and practices of the culture when it suits you, and then, when facts and circumstances would undercut that line of attack, you go after the myriad inconsistencies, divergences and philosophical differences that are out there.

Comment

Had Riley stayed at Utah State, I don't even know if he would have started for them the past two seasons. DeAndre Borrel's weakness is his arm. I actually think it is stronger than Riley's. DeAndre's strength is his legs and ability to make plays with them. That is the same strength that Riley has. DeAndre is better at it though and is more athletic than Riley.
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

This is where you guys miss 3D. He could come slashing into this thread and and with wit and good humor turn LA's and my arguments inside out. He's left a big hole for you guys to fill.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    And I love your ability to mock the monolithic mindset and practices of the culture when it suits you, and then, when facts and circumstances would undercut that line of attack, you go after the myriad inconsistencies, divergences and philosophical differences that are out there.
                    lol

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

lol
                      You could have at least chosen a smaller font.

Comment

http://cougaruteforum.com/search.php?searchid=1033132

You had plenty to choose from.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                          lol

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

But seriously, the Heaps phenomenon for me boils down to this: everyone who has watched practices has said he's the best; I think the best should start. To the extent that they are more or less even (and from what we've heard, I don't think that's the case), I just think it makes sense to start the guy with more upside and who's going to benefit your program the longest.

Outside of that, I just don't think very highly or Nelson as a QB. If Heaps weren't in the picture, I would be seriously pulling for Lark or Munns to get up to speed and beat him out. In fact, I still hope that one of them takes his spot as backup, because out of all the QB's, I think he's the one that could best contribute at another spot.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Fixed that for you. Kind of fun that you're so bitter about the reaction to your judgmental post that you're actually cheering for a BYU player to do well, all just to spite BYU fans.
                              It's hard to take you seriously when you post in Dark Orchid font. Besides, I don't want you to come out and fight. I want Goatnapper!

Originally posted by YOhio View Post

As an active LDS Ute fan, I'm sure you were very disappointed in Bronco Mendenhall.
                              Yes, it was devastating. I decided to withhold all voluntary contributions to BYU as a result. But I have gotten over it. Besides, who am I to throw stones? I hear that Kyle Whittingham swears! :yikes:
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                              X