Wyo Governor Wants to Sell Huge Tracts of Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyo Governor Wants to Sell Huge Tracts of Land

Governor Dave Freudenthal is threatening to sell off parts of the Grand Teton to private investment unless the federal government can come up with more money...

Governor Dave Freudenthal is threatening to sell off a chunk of one of America's most beautiful national parks unless the Obama administration comes up with more money to pay for education in the financially beleaguered state.

He says he will auction land valued at $125m (£80m) in the Grand Teton national park, one of the country's most stunning wildernesses. Part of the park was donated by John Rockefeller Jr.

[...]

Previous negotiations led Washington to offer 800,000 acres of federal land in a swap but state officials rejected it as "trash land" not worth nearly as much as their "prime, in-park real estate".

"I admit we aren't as bright as those boys on the Potomac," said Freudenthal. "But this ain't our first county fair."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Wyoming is a financially beleaguered state? I thought they had plenty of money for education. But I can imagine why they don't. After all, there is no income tax, the sales tax is low, and there are no local property taxes that go to pay for education (the state government funds every locality). The pillage of the natural resources is a great way to fund your governmental during an Oil boom, but those never last too long.

And it's absurd to be funding education at the federal level, but as long as that's the law, I can't blame Frreudenthal for playing hard ball.

As for the national park....well, there are plenty of those. Sell of some of that prime real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      Wyoming is a financially beleaguered state? I thought they had plenty of money for education. But I can imagine why they don't. After all, there is no income tax, the sales tax is low, and there are no local property taxes that go to pay for education (the state government funds every locality). The pillage of the natural resources is a great way to fund your governmental during an Oil boom, but those never last too long.

And it's absurd to be funding education at the federal level, but as long as that's the law, I can't blame Frreudenthal for playing hard ball.

As for the national park....well, there are plenty of those. Sell of some of that prime real estate.
      Financially beleaguered may be a bit of an overstatement. Revenue is definitely down, but to say the states in trouble is not true.

I'm not sure what the problem is. This is school trust land given to the state for the express purpose of funding education. They would be derelict in their duty if they didn't get the highest price possible for it. Just another example of Obama's incompetence and disregard for the law I suppose.
      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
      And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

[YOUTUBE]g3YiPC91QUk[/YOUTUBE]
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          [YOUTUBE]g3YiPC91QUk[/YOUTUBE]
          Who doesn't love huge tracts of land!

Comment

Working...
          X