Thompson is reedeming himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson is reedeming himself

Since Its already been posted Craig Thompson has gone to washington to get our conference in the bcs. Will it work? Probably not but at least they are trying unlike our closest competition (WAC and Conf USA). I especially like this little tidbit

In a stunning announcement, Thompson also said his league had not signed the next BCS television deal with ESPN that runs from 2010-13. A formal agreement with the other leagues was reached in November. A source said the other 10 leagues have either signed the agreement or will sign it.

No more "hey you guys signed the contract" bull$#!+ that we heard this year. The fact is the creeky wheel gets the grease. Imagine if it actually happens.

As for the tv deal even if I don't have Direct tv I can go into any sports bar in America and watch Utah play. Signing with Direct Tv was a lot more critical than dish network because the sports bar has direct tv for the NFL ticket.

Now here are my complaints.

1. Why in the hell is the mtn not on comcast sports package outside of the footprint? You guys own half of the frickin station??? why not put it on your sports pack? There is no good reason why fox sports pittsburgh is on the sports pack but the mtn isnt. Some blame goes to Thompson here but most of this is on the idiots at comcast.

2. Why in the hell are these games not available online? The mountain should partner with the slingbox to broadcast its self online for a $5 a month fee. Why isnt this done? And when they do it they should have it on a 45 second delay so its not pixelly

3. HD enough said.

4. Our other bowl situation is horrible. Vegas while being a great destination city should not get our champion because for completely legit reason they want the game broadcast on the December 16th. Here is how it should work out.

Our champ (second place with the auto bcs)should either play in the Insight bowl, poinsettia (with a moved date) or the emerald bowl.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Since Its already been posted Craig Thompson has gone to washington to get our conference in the bcs. Will it work? Probably not but at least they are trying unlike our closest competition (WAC and Conf USA). I especially like this little tidbit

No more "hey you guys signed the contract" bull$#!+ that we heard this year. The fact is the creeky wheel gets the grease. Imagine if it actually happens.

As for the tv deal even if I don't have Direct tv I can go into any sports bar in America and watch Utah play. Signing with Direct Tv was a lot more critical than dish network because the sports bar has direct tv for the NFL ticket.

Now here are my complaints.

1. Why in the hell is the mtn not on comcast sports package outside of the footprint? You guys own half of the frickin station??? why not put it on your sports pack? There is no good reason why fox sports pittsburgh is on the sports pack but the mtn isnt. Some blame goes to Thompson here but most of this is on the idiots at comcast.

2. Why in the hell are these games not available online? The mountain should partner with the slingbox to broadcast its self online for a $5 a month fee. Why isnt this done? And when they do it they should have it on a 45 second delay so its not pixelly

3. HD enough said.

4. Our other bowl situation is horrible. Vegas while being a great destination city should not get our champion because for completely legit reason they want the game broadcast on the December 16th. Here is how it should work out.

Our champ (second place with the auto bcs)should either play in the Insight bowl, poinsettia (with a moved date) or the emerald bowl.
    I'd say the Vegas Bowl's a good place for a second place team if they were to get an autoberth. If however, as mentioned in the article, they secure an auto-berth for a non-BCS conference (sharing the slot w/ WAC & Conference USA) or there's a play-in game, then I could agree the conference champion should be playing closer to New Year's.

Comment

backlash

the following quote made me laugh

If you blew up the BCS today, the Big 12 would be able to strike a deal with the Fiesta Bowl, the SEC would be with the Sugar Bowl, the Big East and/or the ACC would go to the Orange Bowl. The Pac-10 and Big Ten would be locked into the Rose Bowl for perpetuity the same way they were before the BCS horned in with the likes of Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas (twice!). Notre Dame would be Notre Dame, a mercenary going to the highest bidder.
      Yeah the bcs conferences would rather take less money than let the MWC into the club. Does anyone think the acc or big east is going to get 34 million from the orange bowl? Sure the SEC would get the sugar bowl but the payout would be less. Like it or not the BCS has a brand now and giving that up is not in the big boys best interest.
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools...9-proposal.pdf

Pretty bold proposal... At least he is doing something.

Comment

Not bad, but I think having 12 guys (1 from each conference) to rank 25 teams to be the new BCS standings is stupid. I don't mind the computer polls. I think they could be tweaked some but I think that is better than say having 12 commissioners pick.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

I like the ideas of using a selection committee. The stats about percentage against other conferences were interesting too.
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Not bad, but I think having 12 guys (1 from each conference) to rank 25 teams to be the new BCS standings is stupid. I don't mind the computer polls. I think they could be tweaked some but I think that is better than say having 12 commissioners pick.
              LOL - we just posted opposite comments at the same time.
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                LOL - we just posted opposite comments at the same time.
                LOL. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think having a human element as part of the BCS computers is important. And though there is a bit of that now in the current formula it could be weighted differently to include the committee's poll I guess. I'd be okay with that. But I am not okay with throwing out the computer polls entirely. Jay Santos, Indy Coug, and Pelagius have convinced me that the computer polls are the most accurate polls we have.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

I love it.
                  Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

The problem with Dennis Dodd's argument is that nobody (including the BCS conferences) wants to go back to the old system - also, under the old system, BYU won a national championship.

I think Utah's Sugar Bowl win this year has provided the MWC with enough fuel to go and make the waves they're trying to make. Now is the time, and I'm very happy to see Hair Thompson finally trying to flex some muscle on this.
                    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

It works for the NCAA Basketball tournament, doesn't it?
                      If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Jay Santos, Indy Coug, and Pelagius have convinced me that the computer polls are the most accurate polls we have.
                        Let's just have these guys do the selections.

On second thought, we'd better get some Utes on there too.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                          It works for the NCAA Basketball tournament, doesn't it?
                          It does, but they're not comparable. In basketball you have a much larger body of work to draw conclusions from. Also, you're selecting 64 teams plus the play in. That's almost 20% of the teams that that get to play for a title. Also, if you win your conference tourney you get an automatic bid. Not so in football.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

It does, but they're not comparable. In basketball you have a much larger body of work to draw conclusions from. Also, you're selecting 64 teams plus the play in. That's almost 20% of the teams that that get to play for a title. Also, if you win your conference tourney you get an automatic bid. Not so in football.
                            With the scrutinous media analysis of the bubble teams before and after after the selection, I'm willing to suppose the magnification of twelve versus 65 will take care of this.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                              With the scrutinous media analysis of the bubble teams before and after after the selection, I'm willing to suppose the magnification of twelve versus 65 will take care of this.
                              But doesn't that already happen until the BCS standings come out? There's a much bigger bubble when only 1 in 10 teams gets in compared to 1 in 5 with basketball.

I don't think the BCS polls are the issue so much as who can play in the BCS and who really is the NC. And like I said before, I'm not opposed to adding more human elements to the formula, but I don't think throwing the computers out altogether is the best solution.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X