roster issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roster issues

A couple of things that intrigue me about the updated roster, a few of the walk-ons and some omissions:

Ezekial Ansah. The 6-5 250 sprinter from Ghana has me excited. I know he has no football experience, but you think even minimal training could turn this guy into a contributer on special teams.

Dalin Tollestrup. The ex-U of Calgary qb seems like a good athlete. Maybe he can be shifted over to safety.

Josh Marquardt. I assume he is Dan and Michael's brother. Dan was a good noseguard and Michael ended up being a solid player for ASU, unfortunately. Maybe he can develop into a solid dlineman himself.

As posted by Grace, where is Jake Murphy? Also, where is Cody Monsen? The linebacker from Temple,Tx who signed a couple years back. I thought he was supposed to be here this year.

Cody just got off his mission a few weeks ago I think he is greyshirting and will be here in January. Murphy is in a similar situation.

Ezekial Ansah is going to play D-end, dude runs a 44 second 400 meters so he has ridiculous speed at that size. Should be interesting to watch that progress.
    *Banned*

Comment

I just don't think you can teach someone defensive football in a few months. Dude will be the fastest guy--to the wrong side of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        I just don't think you can teach someone defensive football in a few months. Dude will be the fastest guy--to the wrong side of the field.
        I think he is an interesting project. I could see him playing some special teams

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Ezekial Ansah is going to play D-end, dude runs a 44 second 400 meters so he has ridiculous speed at that size. Should be interesting to watch that progress.
          That's wasted speed. You do know a football field is only about 100 meters long?
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Goodness... Was that 44 seconds run at his current 250 lbs? What about him playing TE?

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
              Goodness... Was that 44 seconds run at his current 250 lbs? What about him playing TE?
              Are you kidding? Do you not remember what Jerry Hughes did to us at TCU with speed/quickness and size? DE where you can let the guy just go after the passer is probably a position where you can utilize that type of speed/ability with minimal football understanding. No need to teach him a route tree or understanding reads or worry about blocking schemes or hands. I'd love a freak athlete like that putting pressure on the corner.

Comment

Cody just got off his mission a few weeks ago I think he is greyshirting and will be here in January. Murphy is in a similar situation.

Sounds like Murphy will be home within a month. Same with Yeck and Vaitai, I had forgotten about them. But Wrubell speculates Muphys may go to U.
                http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11819609

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  Are you kidding? Do you not remember what Jerry Hughes did to us at TCU with speed/quickness and size? DE where you can let the guy just go after the passer is probably a position where you can utilize that type of speed/ability with minimal football understanding. No need to teach him a route tree or understanding reads or worry about blocking schemes or hands. I'd love a freak athlete like that putting pressure on the corner.
                  Exactly. Ezekial will also be on the track team I am told.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Anyone know what Ezekiel Ansah's 40 time is like? I see he did the 200m in 22.22. Jerry Hughes is a fast DE (4.69 40) but Ansah is most likely at least two tenths faster which is amazing for a guy his size. It may be nice to see him on the kickoff and maybe even the punting teams as well.

According to the CB folk this guy tried out for the BB team and almost made it as well (?).
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                      Anyone know what Ezekiel Ansah's 40 time is like? I see he did the 200m in 22.22. Jerry Hughes is a fast DE (4.69 40) but Ansah is most likely at least two tenths faster which is amazing for a guy his size. It may be nice to see him on the kickoff and maybe even the punting teams as well.

According to the CB folk this guy tried out for the BB team and almost made it as well (?).
                      An internet legend has been born. Ted, what is your take on some of the Texas kids on the roster? I think I've seen you say Ogletree is mediocre. Any other tidbits?

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        An internet legend has been born. Ted, what is your take on some of the Texas kids on the roster? I think I've seen you say Ogletree is mediocre. Any other tidbits?
                        I've heard he's fast, but he's no Cody Fonnesbeck.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          I've heard he's fast, but he's no Cody Fonnesbeck.
                          Forgot about him, I think he shared kate moss' body type. Him, Lance Pendleton and the Fischer twins didn't end up doing dixie high proud.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            Ogletree is good but isn't quite 100% yet. Here is Ogletree on the LB's:

[YOUTUBE]gL-SOX0VjIA[/YOUTUBE]
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

More on Ezekiel from Mendenhall:

Mendenhall filled us in on defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, a 6'6", 254-pounder from Accra, Ghana.

According to the coach: "Ezekiel wandered through our office one day; I think our players kind of directed him, seeing he's 6-foot-whatever he is. He runs a 21.9 200-meters, but we had to help him put his (football) stuff on; he'd never put gear on before. He's a work in progress, but he wanted to give it a try. He showed up this summer, the players loved him; he wouldn't go away... even though he wasn't prepared, he showed up for workouts. He kind of grew on (the players) and they came to me and said 'make sure you bring him in the 105.' He doesn't know anything (about playing defensive end), but when he decides to run fast, he runs fast, and he's big."
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X