Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tip on avatars

When you specify your avatar you have two options:

1) Enter the URL for the avatar hosted somewhere else on the internet.
    2) Browse to a file on your local drive that is then uploaded.

I have learned that if you select option 2, your avatar is re-sampled as it is uploaded and the image quality can degrade substantially. If you want to preserve your image in its pristine form, use option 1. Make a link to another site or upload it to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

One more thing. The column on the left side of the forum is set up to support avatars with a maximum width of 200 pixels.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I always get the "remote file is too large" message when I change my avatar.

How do I resize it?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

How do I resize it?
        You have to download it and edit it, then submit it as a file.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          Or slap it with a cold spoon.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

How do I resize it?
            I don't know how BlueHair gets around that one because his avatar is HUGE and could definitely use a reduction.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              I don't know how BlueHair gets around that one because his avatar is HUGE and could definitely use a reduction.
              you should talk, sucker!

sigpic

Comment

you are forgetting that you are talking to me here.

how do I edit it? submit it where?

sigpic

Comment

right click the photo you want online

click "save image as"

save the picture somewhere easy to find (like your desktop)

then go to your desktop (or wherever)

right click the icon of the photo you saved

click open with > paint (you could use better programs, but for simplicity's sake, we'll go with paint)

your pic should pop open in paint

in paint, click image> resize/skew

then enter whatever percentage you want to use as both the height and width

then save it

then when you click "edit avatar," use the "upload image from your computer" option.

Comment

open an account at photobucket and upload your avatar there. That site has several automatic re-sizing options. choose one that is the correct size and then use the link here. That is what I did and that is why my Gibbon always looks pristine.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      my Gibbon always looks pristine.
                      woah. TMI.

Comment

open an account at photobucket and upload your avatar there. That site has several automatic re-sizing options. choose one that is the correct size and then use the link here. That is what I did and that is why my Gibbon always looks pristine.
                        hey! Stick to what you're best at, like swinging from trees and making screeching noises.

His picture is already uploaded. He's trying to figure out how to snag it and resize it.

Comment

hey! Stick to what you're best at, like swinging from trees and making screeching noises.

His picture is already uploaded. He's trying to figure out how to snag it and resize it.
                          No, I mean upload it to photobucket. Once there, they have a feature that allows you to resize the uploaded photo to avatar or icon size. It then saves the resized version and even provides you with a link you can use to put in the space on the user control panel here to make it the right size. My gibbon would be far too big to show lifesize; it had to be made to look smaller to fit.
                          Last edited by creekster; 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: two too many tos
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

No, I mean upload it to photobucket. Once there, they have a feature that allows you to resize the uploaded photo to avatar or icon size. It then saves the resized version and even provides you with a link you can use to put in the space on the user control panel here to make it the right size. My gibbon would be far to big to show lifesize; it had to be made to look smaller to fit.
                            I think Creekster wins. With his method you host the photo remotely. It is the "upload from my computer process" that degrades the quality. The vbulletin software runs it through some sort of process that degrades the quality when you do so.

Comment

No, I mean upload it to photobucket.
                              yes, I understand. But this isn't TD's picture. It's one he found on a website online. So he can't upload it. He'd have to download it before he could upload it. That's what he's asking about. I suggested using paint to size, but once he downloads it he could upload it to photobucket to resize it. That would work, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X